Dragonlance: Legends of RPG

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Paul Bellow, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    New 5,000 word post all about Dragonlance to draw new people to the LitRPG Genre...

Please share if you care! ;)

https://litrpgreads.com/blog/rpg-legends-dragonlance

Matthew Siege likes this.
  2. lordnova

lordnova Level 10 (Filcher) Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

90%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Mountain States
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Because I really needed to add that series to my reading/listening queue, again.

Good write up.

Eden Redd and Paul Bellow like this.
  3. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I stopped reading after the Chaos War books... that was where I wanted the series to end honestly. Flint also has the honor of being the first character whose death made me shed tears. I went straight from Goose Bumps to Dragon Lance, and the gully dwarf friend of Raistlin came close to being the first to cause waterworks.

Then I hit up writers all over the spectrum, Piers Anthony, Douglas Adams, Stephen R Donaldson, David Eddings, and infamously (to me) Barbara Hambly. The third book of the Sun Wolf and Star Hawk series by Barbara was like being repeatedly gut punched after coming to care about characters in book 1 and 2, even if the characters were rough as hell around the edges. So after some actually pretty hardcore stuff from Stephen R Donaldson and Joel Rosenstein (he has an Israeli's in space story that was all betrayal and politics) before reading Barbara, I ended up going back to the Anne McAffrey and Mercedes Lackey style books which didn't seem hell bent on doing anything other than promoting swinging and polyamorous relationships. Where Barbara Hambly wanted to flay my soul and twist my young sensibilities with unrelenting focus on darker topics of a Fantasy world. I've still got a preference for breezy stuff, Tanya Huff's books especially are light reads. Not her newer stuff which was mostly incest, or her early stuff which also had incest... but the inbetween books... except the ones with werewolfs and then it gets incesty again. God damnit pervy lady authors.

I could probably read a couple more Dragonlance stories just to see what happened with Palin (or whoever the cleric son of Cameron was) and the chick that was or wasn't Raistlin's daughter... I had thought she totally was because of one of the stand alone books I read (it could have been the Raistlin / Cameron series), but I guess that wasn't the case. So hopefully that didn't end up being incest too. But clearly there is a market for it. :confused:

Favorite Dragon Lance story is still book 1 of the first trilogy. The starting fight with surprise Hoopak badassery (I think hoopaks even made it into the D&D Gold Set) before they ever made it to the inn, Fizban, the mystery of the emerald man, the whole story rocked my world. Made me go from sports to books, plus it didn't hurt that my big brother had already bought half the canon before I started having pocket money. But everything that has made me twisted came from my friends parent's book shelves. Parents, put your fucked up books on the high shelves.

4. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    lol. In that vein, Flowers in the Attic was a rite of passage for me as a teen. But certainly NOT written for teen girls.

5. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think some of the girls from my middle school got a hold of the earliest version of "The Last House on the Left", shortly after their behavior got them moved to the "Bad Kid" High School. I don't know what the result would have been if they'd read Flowers in the Attic. I had to read the wiki article, and I'm glad that was all I read!

I think what is and isn't written for teen girls these days runs right into what is written for teen girls but marketed to 5 year olds. Monster High comes to mind, and the whole spectrum of pancaked dolls in mini-skirts so short that they would have required a 9pm or later time slot when I was growing up.