Dungeon Companion?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by A J Bishop, Nov 1, 2018.

1. A J Bishop

A J Bishop Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen Aspiring Writer

58%
    xp:
    Zone:
    London UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So it seems that a number of authors seem to go with a fairy for the Dungeon Core minion companions.
    Though we have had one or two others it poses a question.

What creature would you like to have as your help in a dungeon core situation?

2. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think fairy works best but maybe something like a wisp or a lich.

3. Se7enworlds

Se7enworlds Level 4 (Warrior) Citizen

90%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think to a certain degree it depends on theme. You want a being that is magical, able avoid the adventurers that will frequent the dungeon (as generally a being that fights fits a different role from advisor/companion, able to communicate, intelligent enough to do so and with enough character to act as a counter point to the Dungeoncore MC and a valuable addition to the story. A lot of the time a fairy or wisp fits, but it could just as easily be a spirit, nymph, djinn, demon, A.I. or elemental.

To be honest if I had to choose it would depend on what kind of dungeon I was and I'd be very tempted to make something new.

A J Bishop likes this.
  4. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A ghost that possesses a random mook that I've created to populate the dungeon.

A J Bishop and Windfall like this.
  5. dag0net

dag0net Level 5 (Veteran) Citizen

90%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A hivemind queen, like orson scott card's 'buggers.' or for that matter, heinlein's buggers. worker, breeder, guardian, companion. altho possibly the character would be best as the 'dungeon core' than a companion, being as it does what a dc does without being a dc... but whatevs.

even, most companions tend to fall into the same role as being 'guardians of knowledge' unveiling new and improved abilities for the dc to use because the author just thought of them halfway through the story, or having them earlier would of required a more creative/rational explanation for the plot's development along otherwise arbitrary paths. anyway.. you've got the whole racial memory things going on with bugger queens, which is an easy fallback for that trope.

having said all that, i kinda like the idea of a dungeon core 'possessing' the body of the last person/thing to 'conquer' the dungeon. it's a story right, so you can make up some unique scenario or if scifi some lifeform scanning capability to create a doppelganger. Makes sense tho if you're a regenerating dungeon life form, that your best bet as an aide would be whatever previously showed it could conquer u.

So, your companion is a pissed off adventurer-doppelganger.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Viergacht and A J Bishop like this.
  6. lycia

lycia Level 6 (Footpad) Citizen

38%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Indianapolis
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A hamster. Talking. With a wizard's hat and a staff.

7. David M Zahn

David M Zahn Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Something ridiculous, like a miniature horse or a sea otter. I like to flip convention on it's head for these sorts of things.

8. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You could also flip the script by having the MC be the "helper" and the fae/spirit intended to be the helper end up in control of the dungeon.

A J Bishop likes this.
  9. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    <3

David M Zahn likes this.
  10. A J Bishop

58%
    xp:
    Zone:
    London UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ohh thats a good one, I've thought about doing a PoV of a non-combat pet of a player 'MC' before.

Viergacht likes this.
  11. LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa Roboto Artiste LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen

29%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I generally always use Skull-Fairies: Fairies with an extra layer of death god.

Viergacht likes this.
  12. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That sounds ready for Hot Topic XD

David M Zahn likes this.
  13. Scoundrel

Scoundrel Level 6 (Footpad) Citizen

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Catboys. Catboys everywhere. :D

Viergacht likes this.
  14. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Level bosses.

They'd be my generals in the fight to get as many humans as possible. They wouldn't be a part of me but rather were a design I got after I've been alone in my dungeon for WAAAAAAAAAYYYY too long and asked the overlord (system AI) for company. The first one I ever got is my oldest, most trusted companion and guards the entrance to my chambers. He's also a bit insane but it's hidden under his deceptive well mannered exterior.

The rest are generals I met along the way and each guards his or her own floor with their own story and reason for being there. It's a weird dysfunctional family but only we get to tell each other off and cross swords. Come near any of us and the other will tear you limb from limb!

I don't know. I just find the fairy thing boring, lacking in creativity and very much an imitation of that annoying one from Zelda. The one aspect of that game that EVERYONE with no exception hated. She's also the tutorial/help system so past book one becomes redundant and has to be given added roles (roaming monster, damsel in distress...etc) to excuse keeping her around. Might as well make the companion one of your monsters/bosses then. You wouldn't have to justify his exsistance at least.

Viergacht likes this.
  15. Scoundrel

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You are right - the fairies get old fast. First one is okay, but by number three... lol. And they are always female for some reason. Never had a female dungeon core or male fairy. Nor a male/male or female/female fairies. It's really specific!

And then there's that weird thing where it's always implied the core would date the fairy if they weren't a gemstone/AI/etc. And at least one time they actually do, kinda. XD

16. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    yeah it's weird. The first one that started this was Dakota with his series Dungeon core (and Slime Dungeon which was the first draft) and they all copied him after that. If you're going to give them highly specific gender alignments that they act like a sitcom couple why say they're genderless? It makes it all too bizzare and was easily the worst part of the book.

Paul Bellow and Viergacht like this.
  17. Scoundrel

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I can put up with a lot - but repeating everything is silly. Makes starting a new core series a chore.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  18. Viergacht

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, the flirtiness was super weird and offputting.

19. A J Bishop

58%
    xp:
    Zone:
    London UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Honestly don't mind it myself but the fact that i've read five other dungeon core books that follow the format of 'core and the fairy'.
    Lots of good things coming along in here :D

20. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Trash Tier Dungeon by Kay Fairburn has a catgirl dungeon core.

Viergacht likes this.