Dungeons in the Land (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Feb 13, 2020.

1. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Fair,
    OK then humanoid is something I'd say is litterally human adjacent. Elf? Slight/agile human, high affinity with magic. Gnome? Smaller human, again magic. Dwarf, small human, melee and crafting. Etc. Add in reptilian for some of the other races out there.
    Beastkin would count as one deviation over but this creature seemed to be a mix of kin and beast putting it two or even three over depending on the ratio.

Edit: Example of beast /beastkin where I wouldn't classify it as humanoid. The snake men in Sen's fortress (Dark souls) they're bipedal and sword wielding, but I wouldn't really call them humanoid. (I feel like it should require more than just bipedal and tools)

2. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The devil is in the details. When is something no longer humanoid? Where is that line crossed?

For myself the tail doesn't matter. I would say more than two legs, not upright, and not able to hold tools are qualms I have. I have trouble thinking of T-REX as humanoid, or things that are not usually upright, but the kobolds would count (this series version). Basically the Aleron hit key items for me.

Anyway since Aleron uses the monster manual, what else from it would qualify?

3. 2tymes

2tymes Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Citizen

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Can’t remember what book it was in, but Richter came across an ancient dungeon while he was finding interesting locations in his land. He talked about how it was way outside of his level @ the time. My question is what is the dungeon, is that going to be one of the level 2 unlocking his powers quest, and does all of his current dungeon bonuses apply to these type dungeons.

4. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Are you refering to the one where it showed different races/species being sacrificed? that might have been where the Dungeon was directed to head towards.

5. 2tymes

2tymes Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Citizen

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yep
    You have found: Ancient dungeon After he had seen that the pit was an entrance to a dungeon more than ten thousand years old, Richter had immediately started backing away. Almost as if to speed him on his journey, a gust of wind rose out of the hole and washed over the war party. It stank of fetid rot and decomposing flesh. Everyone in the cave had run out of it and breathed sighs of relief when they once again could feel the sun on their faces. Richter still shuddered when he thought about it. There hadn’t been any overt physical danger, but he knew in his heart that there was something sinister down that hole.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  6. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That one seems like another settlement quest to unlock his place of power. He might need to ask Hisako about that too. Unfortunately, whatever is down there has probably only gotten stronger since awakening more Ley Lines.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  7. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe the lesser evils. I'm thinking something really bad is down there that wouldn't necesarily have been affected at all by the awakening, other than stirring it a little. The fact that someone sacrificed captives to it is disturbing. Could it have been around during the time of the mist empire, demanding tribute even from them?

Will it demand tribute from the mist village?

8. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The second location was a cave. It reached deep into a hill and on the far back wall was a pictographic history. Many of the images were faded, but Richter was able to make out that it told the story of an old god or a devil. He wasn’t able to be sure, but what was clear was that this had been a place of sacrifice. The walls showed humans, elves, goblins and what he assumed were orcs having their hearts removed and then thrown down a hole. At the back of the cave was the pit that the pictures had shown. It was only a rough hewn opening in the floor, but had been greeted with a prompt. You have found: Ancient dungeon
    Kong, Aleron. The Land: Swarm: A LitRPG Saga (Chaos Seeds Book 5) (pp. 571-572). Kindle Edition.

hrrm no reference to what race was doing the sacrificing

some disease is probably finished brewing down there. burn it for a year, and every other day after.

Captain BlackJack and Cire122 like this.
  9. Cire122

Cire122 Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ask Sumiko for any other suggestions on top of the fire. Richter needs to ask people with more knowledge help more often.

10. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Honestly with how long it's been down there brewing I'm not so sure fire would be a good idea. Might aerosolize some super bug that can't be killed with fire then you're in for a real problem.

11. Cire122

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Use earth magic to bury it and seal it off like nuclear waste? Might cause whatever is down there to wake up though if it is some terrifying being.

12. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    blackhole spell?

heart meat must be good. evil things always want the heart. Stick that sucker in a slow cooker overnight.

Cire122 likes this.
  13. Cire122

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Evil beings must have never had a beef tung taco. It would be game changing.

14. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Most craft tacos really would change the game. Or really any of the food game from earth once science and repeatability gets involved. Not dishing on the Land's food game (I'm sure they've got some spectacular things) but most are lacking cooling, or proving drawers, or any minorly advanced technology (how many cooks in the Land are also mechanists/ have mechanists to work with full time?)

15. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Plus you couldn't make a taco like you normally would. There would be all manner of strange steps involved that are not necessary to get a taco, instead of generic ruined would be the food.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    ShoughtLoud likes this.
  16. Cire122

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    *ding* cooking skill now let's you heat or cool ingredients by x%. Cooking skill now increases flavor and freshness by x%. Journeyman level now is better than Gordon Ramsay due to skills and magic. No peppers cooking profession now let's you imbue food with fire mana to make is spicy.

17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Being a mage or a mechanist isn't a requirement to use an item. The medieval world used underground cellars for cooling and storage instead of refrigerators. Once magic gets involved, they could possibly set up an entire room with a perpetual cooling effect, though you might need knowledge of Runes to do so.

A smith can forge two blades using the exact same methods, materials, and level of effort, to produce two different quality blades. Thats not how science works, he is getting different results from doing the same thing. Thats true for all crafts in the land.

A second smith could produce a blade using the same method, materials and level of effort, creating a blade at the same level of quality, but with vastly different stats.

Hence replicability is out the window when it comes to crafting.

18. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Fine how many smiths and mages are there at the cooks beck and call to create better cooking implements?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  19. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't know. About the same there is for the chaos seeds, if not more as many would have contacts and guilds backing them up, not to mention knowledge of what technology/ magic/ supply lines already exist.

Chaos seeds are coming into this blind, likely with an expectation that the natives are dumb primitives (something it took Richter 7 books to shake), when in reality they have advanced magic that does many of the same things Earth does with technology. In terms of healing they are centuries ahead. In other areas the river peninsula is behind Earth, the situation elsewhere is unknown.

Once they shake off that sense of superiority I think chaos seeds could kick off major advances in many areas, as well as new perspectives on areas where the land is ahead. Richter's insight into resuciation was an entirely different approach to the techniques HM knew, despite her advanced knowledge of magic and medicine that could put a fully staffed top of the line hospital to shame.

Edit: Sorry for taking this so seriously, but I think its an interesting subject. How much dumb shit will chaos seeds do out of a sense of superiority, only to get taken down easily? How many breakthroughs will they make because their perspective is simply different? Impossible to say.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  20. Cire122

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The arrogance is going to lead to a lot of mistakes, but AK did say he wasn't planning on introducing new technology when asked about guns a few years back. I'm not sure what his views are about all technology or just weapons. We will have to wait and see. I bet that changes the medieval vibe is a no go unless we get other earthlike cultures pre-gunpowder and electricity. The lands destroyed by the bank sounded like dinosaurs so we could get Jurassic. The lich did have plans about combining magic and technology when he was sifting through Richter's mind.