Dungeons in the Land (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Johan

Johan Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good Really not a fan of gamers that keep trying to make gun powder or guns.

2. Dragon

Dragon Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

13%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd be fine with it if they had even the slightest idea of what it takes to build an arsenal of guns, sufficient gunpowder, bullets and the industry to support the arms industry. Ok maybe I wouldn't. It would make it far more tolerable.

3. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

12%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Magical Air Rifles might work better then Powder Weapons, probably be less volatile and harder to screw with magically (no anti-fire spells or long range ignition spells mess with them or stockpiles?). But I tend to agree with no Guns.

4. Johan

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    still not in favor of it. I was just reading a LITRPG example of where this happened. Someone from Earth made guns, and a few months later there are magic rifles. The Silver Crown, by Joel Rosenberg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  5. Cire122

Cire122 Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think the Ten Realms did a good job of it because the main characters were military, already made guns back on earth and spent multiple books building up the infrastructure. I agree that it would not fit the land though. I also agree most LITRPGs do a terrible job of it.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  6. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 13 (Assassin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

45%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No worries :)

The superiority is definitely a factor at play here I'm not denying that, but there is some substance to some things we have figured out as we have seen in the books, like washing your hands ;D, and bathing etc.

Again I'm not disagreeing that some Land Cooks are amazing and could blow our shit out of the water. But digital scales and flat tops and pressure cookers and stuff do change what's possible. Not that these can't be don't through magic but those are spells that would take up valuable space in a mage's repetoir. And inventing them with magic would take a high degree of scientific knowledge to pull off in the first place.

So I'm not saying it isn't done, just not as repeatable as in those who can do it are fewer between due to the whole "death comes swiftly in the Land". Here on earth in some countries with generally higher economies, we enjoy general lives of luxury that allow more of us to specialize more specifically, pushing our best even higher, especially being in the information age where we can order any ingredient or special implement we need from our couch or design thing using modeling before just trying to make it. And this is available to the masses rather those who finally have made it to the very heights of the proffession.

All this again based solely on life in the river peninsula of which we have our only view of the Land, and where I have been assuming all the discussion here takes place. (rione, serrated mountains, law, hearth tree, gloomy forrest or whatever it's called, golden plains, the twins etc)

7. Dragon

13%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think they know about hygiene from some of what HM/ Sumiko have said, and Sumiko has shown she understands how disease spreads whether she understands the why of it or not. Which means they are centuries ahead of the middle ages and renaissance doctors, without accounting for magic. Its a historical fact that doctors in the 19th century walked straight from cutting up corpses and into operating rooms, without washing their hands or changing clothes. People died from avoidable infections all the time.

Surplus production does allow people to specialize. I rise the counterpoint that with skills involved agricultural production in the land should be far higher than for the earth version of that period, even for non-professed farmers. Professionals could be insanely productive, though we still have not seen what exactly they can do.

In the medieval period on earth, 90% of the population was involved in food production. I haven't done the calculation for the land and Randy did tell Richter to assign more people to it, but my impression is that we are talking about no more than 50% of the village population, freeing a lot of people to specialize. Other places obviously lack the advantage brought by the mist workers and the widely used magics, but they would still be more productive than their earth equivalent from skills alone.

8. Dragon

13%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The river peninsula clearly isn't at earths level in all aspects. Certainly not when it comes to information flow, though I will say that if I have understood things right, they have all the pieces needed to set up their own magical version of the internet. Or at least a fast communication network.

But in others they are.

9. Johan

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A person could make a lot of money as a virtual prostitute in The Land. Get your scribing skill to a profession, and there is a chat room talent where you can conference face to face...or body to body.

Dragon likes this.
  10. ShoughtLoud

45%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought they both had to have the talent in order for it to be used

11. ShoughtLoud

45%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Unless you mean a prostitute for just the high level scribes

Johan likes this.
  12. Johan

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Bonus of being a professional scribe. You get exclusive scribe only on call prostitutes. No disease, no babies.

13. Dragon

13%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Scribes have the confidentiality talent, they won't talk about what you are doing.

14. Johan

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How does one recognize a dungeon in the catacombs? Is it not just another tunnel in a land of tunnels?

15. Dragon

13%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You get a message upon entrance. Also, it likely has certain outsides features, like the mist Dungeon has.

16. ShoughtLoud

45%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think he means little d dungeons

Johan likes this.
  17. Dragon

13%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In that case, dungeons are mostly old ruins and such.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  18. ShoughtLoud

45%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Some of them are layers, so you would still probably get a prompt for new, ancient, time worn etc if they do qualify while under ground.

Cire122 likes this.
  19. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 8 (Thug) Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought about starting a new thread, but decided to post here instead as it is related to the Dungeon.

Know This! Every 5 levels creates a new entrance to your Dungeon. This is normally randomly placed, but your Dungeon Keeper can assign the locations at his discretion.
    Kong, Aleron. The Land: Monsters: A LitRPG Saga (Chaos Seeds Book 8) . Tamori Publications, LLC. Kindle Edition.

Given that the dungeon may soon have a new entrance, where should Richter have Roswan place the entrance?

Surely it is not required to be placed too close to the current entrance, as that would defeat the purpose of having multiple entrances.

What limitations would you think are placed upon where the dungeon can be placed?
    Must Roswan travel to the location of the new entrance in order to place it?
    Where would you have a new entrance(s) placed if you were Richter?

Personally, I would place an entrance near the river, within the mists, near the border of Yves. Richter could then build a fort next to or around it, as well as docks for trading. This could be the public port for the mist village for the arrival of new villagers, Barrow adventurers, and merchants wishing to trade with the MV. The dungeon entrance here would allow others to raid the dungeon, paying Richter a tax, but without endangering the MV by revealing it's location or the presence of multiple core buildings. Richter and his villagers could travel to and from this fort freely through the dungeon, and/or Richter's dungeon transport spell.

S'ahelas and Johan like this.
  20. ShoughtLoud

45%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well if rosy has two to place (soon to be a third come level 15) I'd say

• Hearth Tree
      • Goes above and beyond allowing the Hearth Mother to farm it I'd say, huge bonus for giving them their own entrance.
    • Save one for the Kobolds Kahn so that he has a huuuuuge bargaining chip to bring more clans back to the table
    • Underwater somewhere, maybe near the Twins (the islands, chill) there are likely to be plenty of underwater civs in the Land and being able to work up great relations with those around those whose resources you covet (Glaaaaassss) is a huge bonus. And Randy might be able to see his mom more often, some sort of easy meet in the middle, but out of the way of terrestrial prying eyes

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020