Dwarven Mine

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Dragon, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    300 square miles which the Kinder settlement squarely sits along with the Sepulcher.

That was the first place I mentioned placing one. We don’t know how much his realm might have grown either with the other powers awakening. As the mist grows so does his realm. I wonder how far the mist are now from the HT.

As the mist grows passed the HT it will help the Sprites defending the HT. Ricther having given them all the ability to see through it took care of that. An entrance for Hisako and her people take some care of his giving her full access.

The purpose of the portals are not by passed by entrances added to the dungeon. If that were true why would Aleron written in the portal being placed in the entrance room?

Mister Bill likes this.
  2. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think I ended up agreeing that it was likely they could (at the least) be placed within the mist. It makes sense given the connection between the Dungeon and the Pop. It affects Dungeon spells and DP generation, so why not other Dungeon aspects.

3. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As for it reaching the HT that would be level 10 unless it starts expanding faster for some reason. I'd like to think that will happen.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  4. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think the purpose for Aleron placing the portals in the dungeon entrance is more then just cost savings.

As Dungeon Master Ricther holds the keys to the dungeon. If you want in Ricther has to grant you access.

On top of that Ricther has a for sided portcullis that guards the dungeon entrance and his Portal. By building his portal in the dungeon entrance he saved on the cost by using for both with DP’s. If he would have built them separately he would have needed two teams of Guards and two separate structures in order to protect them properly.

The node road and the portal are clearly two different methods of transportation. Both offer merchants different means to transport good. The node road being the more dangerous of the two. First node roads must be forged by an adventurer. After the discover a path from one place to another they can use it to transport from node to node. That doesn’t mean that you won’t ever find a dungeon creature in your way. The node road even changes from time to time making adventurers reblaze the path. Do to the nature of the node road large quantities would be to comber some making them to deadly. The node road is for UPS size packages.

The portal system is limited to travel along ley lines. They are extremely expensive to build and they require very specific knowledge to build. The portals are perfect for shipping large quantities of goods with no fear of being lost between locations. Portal systems are like interstate highways being used for commercial quantities of goods. Although they could be used for smaller quantities as well just not as cost effectively. Node roads and portals have different access points and locations they deliver to. Some locations have access to both node roads and portals. Neither of which makes the other obsolete.

Mister Bill likes this.
  5. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ;):)

Excuse me while I dance.

::DANCE::

Luke, the force is strong in you.

I’m glad your joining this side.

Honestly to me it’s a way Aleron can make good for the the HM with Ricther granting her access. Plus he has already set out mechanics that make the dungeon grow. A entrance close to the Kinder settlement perhaps between it and the Sepulcher would help feed the dungeon more ambient death. Then one close enough to feed on the Hearth Trees PoP. It will be like the hitting big on the quarter slots in Vegas.

More Ambient manas = more Dungeon pints per day.

I can see Ricther getting the dungeon to level 15 then it stagnating for a book or two as it learns the new Magic’s. I still hope to see another Item of power added to the dungeon as well. It could be that an item of power added to the dungeon would grant it a whole new layer with its inhabitants being based or modified on that IoP.

Mister Bill likes this.
  6. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don’t think they’ll be easy to unite. They can be a hard headed group. Maybe they can unite temporarily fairly easily, though.

7. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Question I don’t remember us covering: did Richter ever ask Futen or Randy about his village leveling up quest? Maybe it’s not as impossible as he thinks. Maybe there’s a different meaning to what he read. Because as of now it’ll stay a village for the next 30 books unless he gets them united and uses them to attack the Basilisk alliance.

8. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like the idea of an entrance near a vassal’s settlement. And also the later comment about death energy /magic leaking in.

I don’t think that the mist will encroach upon the hearth tree any time soon. It’s days away and right now Richter can leave the mist in hours.

I do wonder how the kindir would do in the dungeon.

9. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think you’re exactly right here. Smaller packages with the node road and huge shipments with the portals. Maybe the village could even be a place they stop over at on the way to a third portal’s location.
    Perhaps Richter gets a free tech prize in the future he can spend on upping the portals’ tech.

10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think its a given Richter's pop will be important as a four leyline crossing. As will Law and to a lesser extent the HT.

You could perhaps think of of the leylines as a highway, where you can get off every 50 miles at a portal. To change from one to another you either need to get of and head towards the one you want crosscountry or you go to an intersection (pop). A pop with more leylines will naturally see more traffic passing through because you can get to more places from there.

So i'd say its likely the village will get a lot of stopovers and visitors.

Mister Bill likes this.
  11. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They are hard head. They are good fighters as well although, the hill tribes aren’t unified under a ruler. They also lay in the open land of the hills. That makes them easy targets. Aleron also wrote in the Dwarvin Axe in order to unify the dwarves. Seeing how the rest of the Dwarves are living under ground and all of them having kings the hill tribes seem to be the best direction to unite dwarves behind Ricther. When the hill tribes start getting pounded by the alliance they will definitely be looking for an ally. When that ally saves them and bestows the axe to a strong leader he will likely bend the knee.

Mister Bill likes this.
  12. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think it will be dwarves cracking skulls and taking names, but it ultimately won't be enough to turn the tide. Warhammer style, the dwarves keep winning battles but ultimately lose because there is always more greenskin trash.

Like the sprite and mist village vs ashstalker goblins battle. Isolated an astounding victory for the good guys where they trade 1 to 3-4 (not taking the damage done by the bloodstone into account) in loses and basically wipe the floor with the goblins.

In terms of the campaign vs the alliance of evil the ashstalker goblins have several hundred thousand members, and they are just one of at least two big factions. The village and the HT probably don't have more than 20.000 - 30.000 people in total.

The goblins can afford to trade 3-4 to 1. They can trade 10 to 1 and still win.

Likely much the same against the dwarves, though i'd guess they are a lot tougher than the current mist village and HT to crack.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    Mister Bill likes this.
  13. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It’s a good point about them trading numbers. I assume if they all get their game faces on then the good guys will be harder to take down.

14. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Trust me, attack from inside of the Mountains is much better than attack from every possible side, air & underground.
    Also we Must know how The Latrines worked back there? Where did all of it flow? did they have an irrigation system?

15. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It is the only way. We need much more brutal training than Sparta to survive in the Land.
    Spartan program was prepared to battle other Nations/ cities etc.
    In the Land we have Dragons, monsters, Gods, Exiles, Magics etc...

Spartan children
    were placed in a military-style education program. At the age of 7, Spartan boys were removed from their parents' homes and began the “agoge,” a state-sponsored training regimen designed to mold them into skilled warriors and moral citizens. Girls also trained and they also insulted boys during their training to "make them train harder"..
    This is one of the reasons why no one fucked with Sparta. Everyone was a warrior there. Everyone.

Right now our MV army is villagers and peasants. And more peasants. To get a normal army you need to train your dudes day and night for minimally a week(to get peasants who would not run), 3
    months(basic infantry), 6 months at least(advanced forces). this is without in field experience!?

I would set up a training regime like in Sparta, with exceptions for especially gifted(should start earlier). basic program for everyone.
    And super hard one for the best of the best. Like a regular Guard and SpaceMarines.

We have healing, Resurrection magic, we can regrow limbs, cure incurable sicknesses. Like stone shard in skull.
    So lets build a few battle pits, where those who are ready, would spar. And stronger ones would fight beasts one on one or in squads vs beasts. Like a dungeon excursion but for a training with controlled healing purpose.
    And yes have helmets for training, some Armour. we want to minimize deaths.

We don't have the luxury to only afford a 100 farmers/peasants/ stick holders to hold yes just hold entire village vs a trained Army ( Scouts, Mages, Rangers, Knights, Barbarians, Strategists).
    I see a great way to train by mandatory incursions to the dungeon, after pit fighting training.

basic approach 140 regular guard
    End result:
    current 140 ish guards vs 2000 bugbear army
    end result : 600 dead MV dudes, that is 90% of the army and 450 civies lol, I bet those children would have wanted to rather go
    through some rough training

spartan program:
    200 "elite force"
    800 basic guards(these are every day farmers, alchemists, cooks who are mobilized during an attack. Any 7 yo can shoot a crossbow.)
    end result: maybe 200-400 dead. So at least 30%-60% better end result.

P.S. another problem here is that our wall is crap.
    Romans had forts:
    they dug massive pits, raised earth with stone, and build 12 feet or bigger walls then filled like 1-2 meters of ground and stones and another wooden wall.

spikes # ditch \/ raised Earth and stone ^ 12 feet wall | filled with earth | 12 feet wall (so wall with palisade)
    so a ~14 feet wall with spikes and pits in front of the enemy and 2 meter width wall filled with earth.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Belgared and Johan like this.
  16. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Didn't look to much into the program but I think I agree with the earlier bits.

The sheer presence of biomancers means the training should honestly go above and beyond anything even approachable here on earth. Get the army used to real fighting, broken bones etc. Serves the purposes of strengthening their resolve and capabilities, while also helping to level the skill of the biomages who get experience from healing them.

I'm not saying go out everyday with the intent to break bones and stuff, but they can afford to be a lot more brutal than regular training we can accomplish here

PokemonThug and Johan like this.
  17. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You could call the basic guards there the militia. Have them train once a week in the barracks (on the real guards’ rest day) and let them do their regular job most days. Mobilize them for special occasions and for occasional patrols and hunting parties.

Definitely have an elite force focused only on fighting and training all the time (in addition to hunting and such).

18. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Building along the wall still can be vulnerable, mainly by flying enemies, or tall ladders or climbers!
    Building underground pretty much builds a hive structure with 200 levels +,
    With farming, manufacturing, sleeping, training areas, crafting... entire biomes are underground such as caves and pretty much everything where now Richto is. But with water and shroom trees etc...

Belgared, Mister Bill and Johan like this.
  19. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dwarf fortress in a beautiful game for this, super fun too.