Eagerly Awaiting Book 9 [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Probably some thread specific intro, let me think on it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  2. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So what the freak is the deal with the Dark Mastery Bonus?

"Mastery of Dark Ability: “Hidden Treasures” +30% yield from treasure"

"The Dark Mastery would increase his yield by 30%. It was basically increasing the specialized resource production of his village by nearly a third." Book 8

"He’d originally thought that Hidden Treasures was a perk that would only really help himself. With his Dungeon though, it could mean stronger weapons and armor for his people, rare herbs to make wondrous potions, and other bonuses that could save the men and women he’d sworn to protect. Coupled with his new Mark of Blood and Chaos, he would drastically increase the precious loot he could gain." Book 8

"Your Dark Mastery ability, Hidden Treasures, has triggered, increasing the yield of your find by 30%!" Book 8

1. Harvest = Success -> upgraded
    2. Harvest = Failure
    3. Harvest = Failure
    4. Harvest = Failure
    5. Harvest = Failure
    6. Harvest = Failure
    7. Harvest = Failure
    8. Harvest = Success
    9. Harvest = Success
    10. Harvest = Success
    11. Harvest = Failure
    12. Harvest = Success
    13. Harvest = Failure
    14. Harvest = Failure
    15. Harvest = Failure
    16. Harvest = Success
    17. Harvest = Failure
    18. Harvest = Failure
    19. Harvest = Success
    20. Harvest = Failure
    21. Harvest = Success
    22. Harvest = Failure
    23. Harvest = Failure
    24. Harvest = Failure
    25. Harvest = Success
    26. Harvest = Failure
    If I remember my probability from class:
    P(Success|Harvest) = 9/26 = 34%
    P(Upgrade|Success) = 1/9 = 11%
    P(Upgrade|Harvest) = 1/9 * 9/26 = 1/26 = 3.8%

Not very good. Hopefully the villagers in the Dungeon are having a better upgrade rate.

Hrrm, can't recall how to denote this:
    I think the increase overall if loot drops is 11% x 30% = 3.3% loot increase.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Mister Bill and Paul Bellow like this.
  3. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So when that happened the loot was already decreased by 30% because he disturbed the remains, then it was brought back up by the dark ability. I think the problem he's running into is the loot he is gaining are things that can't be improved by 30%. Like the mimetic flesh. 30% more wouldn't be enough to make an entire new drop, nor (I'm guessing) improve it to the next rank of drop.

It could also be that it will only apply to 'treasure' (words have power and all that). So things of higher mana levels and coveted items like gems and gold and rare (not the rank but just in general) occurring items in the Land.

4. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Only Text Evidence I have against that is when he got a smaller square of malleable iron, instead of the normal size. There was no hidden treasure increase to normal size. Other than that I assumed all Harvest items are treasures that is not a normal bit you could find by slicing up the body. You don't know what your going to get, like a closed treasure chest. Otherwise I like the explanation.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  5. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    30% increase in amount of loot/treasure, or 30% increase chance of finding loot/treasure or 30% increase in quality/worth of loot/treasure???

6. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    30% increase from hidden treasure. Works remarkably well with his bloodline ability, but I imagine it also works with dungeon lootballs and a few other things. Not sure whether it is supposed to work with regular items he picks up, I think not.

Mister Bill likes this.
  7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sounds about right with it failing to upgrade some items because there isn't something to upgrade that item into.

8. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It might work in some cases of Found Loot/Treasure if he Luck and Chaos Effect interact with it. But probably not much chance if it's just from wallets/purses/backpacks or equipment from slain enemies, although there might be a slight chance a small increase again if his Luck and Chaos Probability Warping Effect can combine with it?

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  9. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well that would be the ability to create something from nothing. There could be a chance of that.

I think "older" treasure has a higher chance of triggering it? For instance, treasure hidden within ruins.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  10. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It should not work like it has. If there is no upgrade to another item type, then the "yield" should increase. For a treasure that has different sizes, it should just increase the size by 30%. So 6"x6" to (6"x6")*130% = 6.84"x6.84"
    So that the 4"x4" harvest is now 4.56"x4.56".

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  11. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @Johan I agree but at the same time... This is one calculation I'm OK not seeing a million times per loot scene. My head cannon is that that's already happening, and the prompts will only appear for the bigger ticket items.

Mister Bill likes this.
  12. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The next time an item changes will be interesting. Because it could be that after the first time, it is always happening in the background without us knowing. It is not like a tendril of magic comes from Richtær's hand or the great seal every time a settlement resource growth is increase by 30%.

How did you guys get the "Beta Reader" and "Exiles" tags?

13. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Exiles got added by @Paul Bellow in the stickied thread, dunno how they work
    Beta reader I think is an item you can buy in the shop to show that you're willing to beta read for other authors here on the forum? Unsure didn't really dive to deep in the shop

Paul Bellow likes this.
  14. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Item in one of the shops. You can turn it on and off somewhere in the personal settings within the setting for the list of items you have bought.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  15. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yup, the betareader tag allows authors here to ...

"Summon the @Beta Reader group!"

And everyone with the tag should get a notification to see if it's a book they might read. We've not had any in a while, but I'm sure there's authors with us who would love beta readers.

Hope that explanation helps!

Some of the virtual items (the torch) will open up new sub-forums to explore.

Mister Bill and Johan like this.
  16. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That 'calling in the favor' thing, was fairly crazy. I'll probably make a thread dedicated to it. Did not saying the correct word 'okay' at the right time, mess up Richtær's chance at winning the competition? Or was it evened out. Both parties gained health/energy, when it would not been the case.

17. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So will Richtær get the same experience from Alma (minus 25% bonus) or will it be reduced via the tier difference and/or other.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It should be reduced by 20%, but it likely won't. Its possible Alma now counts as tier 2, since its a growth in personal power.

19. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The reason why I'm wondering is because she still got the same XP as Richtær did in book 7. I'm referring to the epilogue of book 8 of course. she gets XP as a tier 1 killing a tier 1 (assumed because of the low level monster). There will also probably be a talent point conversion loss for him. But if Alma kills something without his help...should he get another reduction based on level difference (no, XP from brain drain is based on total XP of the killed creature not level), or Tier difference (?).

If the XP gained from Brain Drain has nothing to do with the level difference or tier difference between Alma and her kill, but only the kill's total XP, then it will probably be the same for Richtær.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  20. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't think it will be negatively affected by tier.
    Due to the fact that he's not getting experience for the act of combat or killing, but draining experience that has already been gained (refined?). I think this will also work conversely though, and he won't gain extra for the fact that a monster is tier 2 or higher. They will give more exp by the fact that they made it far enough to ascend to a higher tier, but no bonus multipliers for higher tiers.

Andrew Lynas likes this.