Eagerly Awaiting Book 9 [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A reasonable assumption then.

2. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He just knew that because the goblin clan was fighting on multiple fronts, they had needed the mercenaries to fortify this position. The mercs had only arrived in the past few days and had just been sitting idly until the allied forces had attacked.

Kong, Aleron. The Land: Raiders: A LitRPG Saga (Chaos Seeds Book 6) . Kindle Edition.

3. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Is there an opportunity for attack?
    We know they are strecthed thin.. also lets think what did we gain last time we milked them good:
    Crystal garden: value absolute. well for large enchantment operations like enchanting weapons for an army.
    Magic books, Gold,silver, Kobold egg?
    this could be fun

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  4. Albatross1873

Albatross1873 Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

I think the likely path here is hatching the egg and using the Kahn to take over the first couple levels of the catacombs.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  5. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Agreed, getting the allies (and their intelligence on the matter) is pretty much the only next move. Kobolds are the ideal place to start due to: already being in contact with the enemy, progressing the quest to raise the settlement level, and working with a quest he already has through the Kahn egg.
    Otherwise:

The dwarves likely also know some things given their proximity to the fighting, and the elves that Hisako was going to bring in. The various kindir settlements will be good to have sheer land surveyment. Hopefully the vampire clan will also be able to bring some cool knowledge and benefits to the table, at a minimum there are the two master death magi that could be invaluable in adding even more spells to Beyan and Richter's repetoires.

The next couple of non underground books have really been set up to be diplomatic in the overarching sense. Plenty of room for adventure and what not, but between all these guys and the trolls and the inbound Yveian emigrants, Richter is should get a lot of progress in his diplo and trade skills. Not to mention whatever settlement he gains from being underground.

6. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Alliance vs alliance.

7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There is an opportunity to raid and there is an opportunity for diplomatic victories. Open diplomatic channels with the kobolds and raid the goblins. There is a thread dedicated to whether its worth trading finished wares to the kobolds in return for raw materials, I still like the idea of war profiteering and i'd argue its justified as the goblins are genocidal nutjobs that need to be stopped. If nothing else the kobolds have a gold mine, so they can definitely pay.

Cire122 and Johan like this.
  8. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Goblins have gone from stretched thin to stretched too thin. I would say they also broke, but more like a slight tear.

The MV can not devote resources to the goblins though when the Basilisk alliance is breathing down their neck. At the most scouting and raids should be conducted so that what is left of the hidden valley does not return to enemy hands. Personally I would rather it be left alone because of Bugbear scouts finding it.

I say that but what are the biggest threats that need to be taken care of from the perspective of Randy and the HM?
    Goblins: checked (hockey style)
    Eldritch Master: checkmated
    Eaters: hard to get at, large threat
    Bugbears: large threat, little intelligence on their actions.

The things Rand and HM don't know about:
    Light court forces
    Dark court forces
    Immigrants
    Bugbear: imminent attack

One can't go after a distant enemy without incurring an attack by those at your doorstep.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    PokemonThug likes this.
  9. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Really enjoyed the strategy layed out by @SoughtLoud.
    We will create a separate threads for this strategy of MV vs Tactics.

Because what I suggest is a temporary tactic. Snatch and grab. Heist. Quick, fast , lethal.
    The crystal garden job, stealing from the thiefs of Yves robbing them blind... using nexus to gain an upper hand in xutrix favour battle..
    Oh this will be unexpected. This would be super fun. Viking raid. You dout this will happen.
    Watch me.

What benefits do we have vs the bugbears???
    Bears will expect simple dungeon maybe lvl 2-5.
    Not a bloodstone&chaos AI, lvl 15. Who witnessed multiple battles vs the best that the Mists could provide. And entire army of the dead, labirynth encursion.

Many of them will die here.
    Weapons, armour. Potions..

Still to win this we need to be able to see the bugbears, notice them and they should not see us.. send randy? Scout with spirits?.. use undead?
    Charm little critters and send them to.scout..
    How will we notice.them?? How do we prepare?

Cire122 likes this.
  10. Abe fromen

Abe fromen Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’m thinking it’s likely the bug bears will take the MV hostage or have it hopelessly under siege while Richter is under ground. I’m not sure if this would count as a tactic, but I’m wondering if Richter could create a Quest, Kill the Dungeon Master in his dungeon to lure the bug bears into sending their army (in multiple small parties) into the dungeon to kill Richter. The reward to the quest would be, assuming the mantle of new dungeon master, and penalty for not accepting would be permanent loss of access to the dungeon. The blood spilled would level the dungeon and village specialty, in turn making Ricther even more deadly in his dungeon. This might also allow Richter to complete a vow while gaining the best possible outcome, for his village, his dungeon, and himself.

11. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't think it would work like that for a quest, but directing them to the Dungeon in a non-overt way. But the scouts will find the Dungeon entrance, though maybe they will need a little help. A scouting group by the MV alliance to explore the new entrances and post a guard should give it away nicely and make it important to outside eyes and connected as a backdoor to the main settlement.

12. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I still don't think a rational, thinking opponent like the bugbear is going to send their people into a dungeon they do not control. Given the placement of the Dungeon right outside a settlement they have to expect a dungeonmaster. Which means they could get trapped inside the Dungeon by said master.

13. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Might be an idea to place one of the New Entrances somewhere that the BugBears can find, once they realise that they are hunting for the Dungeon. Might help to keep them away the Village for longer.

PokemonThug likes this.
  14. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A rule per say is if u wanna take a fortified position you will need at least 10x more dudes..
    Now the guard is ~130, with the mobilized peasans its ~430.
    So buggies will need 4k minimum. They have ~600.
    Also not enough potion, and potions have limited work time.

With any brains in the ruling council this fort could hold out for 5 months easily.

15. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And we could track them in the dungeon with DK's help and eliminate them hoho

16. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So what a rash well planned tactical strike would give us? huh
    How about another Hear Crystal. Just better, like we have liberated from Nien. I'm great or what :D

17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    10 trained soldiers to take down an untrained peasant hiding behind a five-foot wall ... :)

18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How about a bunch of dead villagers.

19. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hrrm. Personally I find it odd that the Dungeon Master is supposed to be able to keep Adventures out even if they already have the mark.

Would they already know one of the additional entrances are for the Dungeon before they are inside? I hope not, but probably.

20. Cire122

Cire122 Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Unless they lose more troops than they gain in exp and loot it could actually end up hurting the MV more than helping. That is unless there is a plan to send in teams from the MV to ambush the Alliance while they are farming the dungeon.