Eagerly Awaiting Book 9 [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Feb 4, 2020.

1. S'ahelas

S'ahelas Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Could someone post a link to this post if it is recorded? I would be interested in hearing about his story plans. If we haven't finished the first arc yet then I agree, this could be an extremely long series spanning decades or centuries. Likely tho Ritcher won't die, he's get too powerful. But I could see the main character switching to people we haven't met yet, like his kid.

2. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The first part was the initial setup of the realm, the first stirrings of the chaos seed threat and the clash with the main current threat to his domain.

Next arc will be

1) expansion of the realm. I'm thinking an initial claim of everything south down to HM's realm, west till he hits the woodelves, east to the mountains and of course north along the border to the azergoth swamps. Thats a fairly large region (assuming an average 50 miles to either border in a rough circle its roughly eight thousand square miles of territory).

Should be dozens of minor tribes and maybe some not so minor tribes living in that area, but nothing they cannot either beat or make a deal with. Some conquering is likely inevitable (if nothing else running gnolls and other evil races out of the region should be a priority) but hopefully most of it can be done diplomatically making promises of protection in return for vassalage. The invasion of the forest should make annexation seem much more palatable, and beating the bugbear attack on the village would prove their martial prowers. Combined with their wealth and resources I imagine Randy can engineer a soft takeover in most places.

2) the clash with the alliance

3) the slow but steady rise of the first generation of chaos seed threats. I think killers like Heman will be common for a while, dominating the other seeds either as loners or in small bands. Factions like Richter's are likely to eventually deal with these killers or force them to band together, but they are going to be a major threat to new chaos seeds, loners and small adventuring parties.

Andrew Lynas and Cire122 like this.
  3. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It would be sweet if they get to put the additional entrances to the dungeon wherever they want in his domain. Richter could place one right outside the kinder hamlet. Instant travel to and from the village and lets them get in on the adventuring.

4. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He could have vassals and allies vying for the honor as the dungeon approaches each 5 level interval

5. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The placement is Random unless one has a Dungeon Keeper. I suppose it could connect the kinder to the entree room, but that is a long walk. I don't see why it would be anywhere in the domain unless it is limited to the length of the original entrance.

6. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Might be able to create an Entrance near the Hearth Tree if it's not limited to Richters MV Domain?

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  7. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    lol I suppose so, but that is quite the distance. I guess the Dungeon has a domain as well, that overlaps other domains.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  8. Cire122

Cire122 Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hopefully get gets a pretty big thank you gift he he did something like that. That would be a huge benefit for the HT and while they are a very close and great ally he should still get something for doing that.

9. Michael Clack

Michael Clack Level 5 (Veteran) Exiles Citizen

17%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree. I'm sure this has come up, but I believe that the "God Node" will basically allow for fast traveling and world expansion, primarily to the near by areas.

Something along the lines of "God node allows for the dungeon master to travel to any node within the first link of connections even if the DM hasn't previously discovered the node" or "God node allows the party to travel to any node anyone in the party has been to even if only one member has been there".

You can see how easily these would open up fast travel

10. Chard

Chard Level 5 (Veteran) Exiles Citizen

90%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also personal thank you from HM, epilogue showed she thanks him for saving her son. She will offer a favour, he will ask for access to her library to help village lore. She will go overboard in typical HM style and give him skill book to get his personal lore skill up to initiate level.

11. Chard

Chard Level 5 (Veteran) Exiles Citizen

90%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It’s too much of a coincidence GODS eye and GOD node must be connected. A legendary gift must have lots of perks, and fast travel could be one of them. But why would you think it would be local travel though?
    The master node was going to attract major node roads. I pictured like highways through the labyrinth. The god node would be bigger scale. So travelling vast distances within the labyrinth. And space in the labyrinth does not correlate to the same space in the land. So a local fast travel doesn’t seem something that would connect with this gift.

12. Michael Clack

17%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I only made the connections local because anything else would be OP. There would need to be some kind of restrictions to the fast travel ability if it allowed for travel to untouched nodes or fast travel to all nodes would be possible. I am only guessing that distance or knowledge would be the restraints.

13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Its already going to get pretty powerful. Though I have no idea how it would work. I mean how do you bend a noderoad if its just a chain of nodes someone else has visited?

Michael Clack likes this.
  14. Michael Clack

17%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Agreed. The ability to 'bend' it means that it has structure. Structure = shape and shape means it has near and far points. I'm thinking of it like Mario bros 3 map but you can fast travel to any place you visited. I think the God node will allow you to visit any place but only within a link or two

15. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What if the God node is the entrance node instead of the Labyrinth node? What if instead of interstitial nodes, it just allowed one way direct connection from other Dungeon Nodes? Like if Richter travelled over land to another dungeon entrance, boom instant transport to Barrow of the chaos serpent is allowed, but to leave you still have to create a road out of the Barrow?

There is a bit of backlash that it would allow any adventurer (Still need the mark to access the nodes I assume) to travel over land and have a node road back to MV, which opens the slight possibilty for invasion but it would be terribly slow and a serious choke point. You'd have to take an army across the borders to all touch the node, at which point your army is already there and negates the need to have access to the node. Plus to leave you'd have to forge an entirely new node road out through the deadly deeper magic and higher energy dungeon, in groups of 5 or less (party increasing marks not included) or fight your way back out through the mist. That would be an intensely long set up for a campaign the Dungeon and Labyrinth both don't approve of.
    Otherwise though, it would be an amazingly powerful boon, encourages dungeon growth because unless you adventure through to get back out it's a one way portal to being stranded in the mists, likely boosts DP and or ambient mana. It would work in concert with the Master Node instead of immediately ret-conning the Master Node, making the Mist Village a truly powerful hub town for adventurers to come to, and with the village specialty, more likely to swear fealty and reap the benefits. It could even be a huge draw for people from the Traveler's Guild or explorers that Richter is likely to accumulate. They could live in the MV, go out exploring, head directionally towards another known Dungeon, or if they stumble across another lesser known Dungeon, have instant travel back to MV, vastly broadening exploration scopes since they don't have to account as much for travelling back over land.

It'd be kind of like an "all roads lead to Rome... but all Nodes lead to the Mist Village"

RedzPeng, Cire122 and Michael Clack like this.
  16. Michael Clack

17%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have a theory about the wood elf librarian. She has to be Roswans ex. Nexus seems to dislike him and is seeking revenge for something. Seems like sending Roswan a fiesty woman that dislikes him would be a neat way to do it.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Or his daughter. I'm hoping for his daughter just for the drama when she sleeps with Richter.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  18. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not to be anoying about this. Most people are probably already aware that Roswan is very much based on a character, Ron Swanson from Parks and Rec. (if you haven't seen it you should, it's worth watching) Ron Swanson has two ex-wives named Tammy, Tammy 1, and Tammy 2. Tammy 2 loves to seduce and torture Ron whenever possible and Ron normally hates her with a burning passion right up until he succumbs to her temptation, and is transformed from his normal manly self into a simpering weakling. It is not likely a coincidence that the librarian's name is Tamitu.

Also if you were not aware, Leslie the Gnome is a reference to Leslie Knope who is Ron's assistant director, and who has a love for binders and organization.

RedzPeng and Dragon like this.
  19. Michael Clack

17%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I haven't watched the series although I've heard of that reference. I guess I was right.

20. 2tymes

2tymes Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Citizen

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’m currently listening to the book and it got me thinking. When Ritcher created his bag of holding he used magic to increase the durability of the metal. He said he was scared to use chaos magic because who knows how that would’ve turned out. But thinking back on it, it may have been beneficial to use chaos magic seeing the extra bonuses the bag received. It may have turned out to be bad at times or good if it consistently changes. But he could’ve potentially received some great bonuses.

Andrew Lynas, Cire122 and Johan like this.