Eagerly Awaiting Book 9 [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't want to fear my food, I want my food to fear me!

2. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Bunnicula, the return.

3. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Blood Familiar: symbiotic organisms (tamed a worm) that lives in the blood and body. Often found jazzercising the hosts muscles.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  4. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wouldn't mind seeing a Symbiotic Blood Familiar that's similar to Venom. A Symbiotic Thought Familiar would be cool as well, especially if it triggers/Awakens Psionic and Mind Skills and Abilities.
    For that matter Taming something like those might very useful as well if possible. Even better if you can later make them into a Familiar?

5. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Did we already discuss how it appears that Richter might not be using his spirit magic correctly (book 8)?

6. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not that I read, do tell.

PokemonThug likes this.
  7. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Screenshot_20200622-074950~2.jpg
    This is what I was referring to. In the red paragraph he comes up with a possible answer that as a deeper magic his attribute points don't count as much, but I don't know if it sits right. First the guy knows almost nothing, especially about magic other than the crash course randy put him through and the absolute necessities the Hearth Mother had to ram down his throat.

But the biggest thing to me is the correlation between only getting half the int bonus and his having a binary soul as mentioned by Nexus, and his spirit magic having the same colors as his binary soul. It also describes the spell being cast a bit more and I'm thinking he's gonna need some form of spiritual training in similar fashion to his mental training with Alma.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Andrew Lynas likes this.
  8. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Could be. It wouldn't be that strange.

Does anyone else find it funny that Richter is so detached from the fight and underestimates his opponent? Its the kind of combat blindness supervillains develop XD
    Eventually he'll be monologing while his soldiers struggle to keep the enemies off of him.

9. Hmmm

Hmmm Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

10. Hmmm

Hmmm Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There is lots of discussion about Banks in book 7. I think there will be a Bank in the Kobold level that Richter will take over/control.

11. Tropith

Tropith Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I highly doubt it. That would instantly turn the Mist village into a superpower, making almost all plotlines trivial to solve.

12. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nah it would instantly lead to a war they can't win.

We know there are a total of six banks in the world. Each of those banks has a sphere of influence centering on the individual banks. Over said sphere they have a certain degree of direct system control of the economy and almost certainly a titanic amount of economic influence built over millenia. What a new bank has to do to be a worthwhile investment is create a new zone of influence for it to control and create a business in. As all of the world is already part of the sphere of influence of other banks, that means pushing back their spheres, effectively conquering a huge area and costing them a whole lot of money. This is in itself an act of war and will certainly be considered so by the 3-4 banks affected.

These banks will start a tradewar (not the modern version, but an actual war) over this and will invoke treaties to call on their allies for a defensive war. They will also spend titanic sums and go to whatever lengths are necesary to destroy the new bank, as the alternative is losing out on entire continents worth of banking business, meaning millions if not billions in gold every single year. Richter is sadly nowhere near ready to play on this level, especially not as the location of the bank cannot be hidden for long. After all, the banks can simply calculate how far they have been pushed back in order to uncover the location. That's not gonna take them long, considering they clearly have instant communications with each other in addition to their power to create global quests.

Tldr

Richter would need to break down the banks for the cores. Anything else is suicide.

Edit:
    In addition to the banks being pissed, I imagine every king, warlord, prince, chief, elected leader, merchant, noble, peasant, adventurer etc. that rely on "their" bank for funding will be majorly pissed as well. Richter cannot replace the bank, he does not have the funds to take their place. Its like a provincial one-town bank taking over all financial services for half the US from one day to the next, with no way to meet even 0.00001% of the old service level. Chaos and pandemonium follow.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  13. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I suspect that there would be room for a Seventh Bank in The Land for and with other Banks, what with the Number 7 seemingly being very important to in The Land, but the Eighth might well have trouble. But I also think that any Early Start Up Bank would be a Target by other powers for take over by them.

14. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Training in Spiritual Strengthening and Protection similar to what he got from Alma for Mental does seem like a Very Good idea, for a lot of different reasons other then just Spirit Magic Use.

15. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The question isn't whether there is room for them, there is plenty of potential income in a single country, certainly a continent. The question is, what are the economic consequences for the affected regions? Do they want this change? Do the existing banks accept the loss of income and power to a midget?

I haven't seen an argument as to why they'd accept it gracefully. If Richter had a multi continent empire behind him, he might be able to pay them off or even force them to back off. A tier 2 nobody with a few hundred t1 troops isn't a threat.

16. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Agreed, it helps to resist the emotion components of things like Nien's "Instill Fear" skill, and I think heman's contact friendship thing.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  17. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So maybe his two souls require double the int, Enough for each soul?

Could also just be a check and balance between basic and higher, but it was never mentioned before. What else changed? Hangry, tier 2. Maybe he doesn't resonate as well with deeper magik anymore.

18. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Could be. I could see the binary nature requiring more juice to get it going as it were given they might oppose each other to start off before combining. He was dehydrated and starving at the time which could have an effect but I doubt he "lost resonance".

I just want to see more spirit magic though. So far it seems like the best answer to seriously messing up other magi sans blood magic. Minor Aura Lance could probably drop Resistances by 10% at base which combined with dual casting and his high Intelligence should rocket to like ~25-30ish, removing over half of any Master Mage's resistances (assuming no other bonuses to those same resistances). Or if he could find an AoE version of it? A radiation version like his weak life aura? And all this is just one aspect of this weird Deeper magic.

MOOORE.jpg

Johan likes this.
  19. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Before he was tier 2, was half intelligence aspect there? It seems it was not, since he was commenting on it. Only a few things changed since then. Mostly he is tier 2.

20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    His soul, body and mind are in flux. There is no reason to assume that only has positive effects. His resistances could easily be lowered as well, we just haven't seen it.

Once he stabilizes things should go back to normal.