Eagerly Awaiting Book 9 [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    But didn’t Randy mumble out We wouldn’t even needa grimoire? What did he mean by we? And why did he keep it under his breath?

2. Hmmm

Hmmm Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The quote is wrong.

From book 7
    One phrase the chaos seed heard clearly was, “… would not even need a grimoire. … could his ability truly…”

It does not mention "we".
    I believe Randy is shocked that Richter can have access to so many spells without external help.

3. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That wasn’t a quote.

I was just trying to recall what was said.

I’m glad you could post that.

So what do you think Randy was thinking to him self about?

“Wouldn’t even need a Grimoire”

He was clearly keeping that under his hat. What did he think he would need a Grimoire for? As much as he explains himself to Ricther he really kept that thought to himself.

Accoryto the series grimoire are normally used by battle mages. Grimoire are good because they store more spells then the average joe can use.

As I said I think it has to do with his desire. Something that powerful might be needed to fight your way into a place. Like the hall of elemental hunters via the labyrinth. I’m sure once there it would be easy access to Randy’s childhood home. Not only that but Randy should know ALL THE PASSAGES through the HoEH’s and including all the secret passages of the castle. After all he was family until his nephew cast him out for being nonhuman.

4. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ideally a grimoire would be for spells you are able to cast, but don't have in your spell list, because most people run out of spell slots. Even as a PoP master, most generally run out of spells they can learn due to affinities /intelligence and wisdom.

I'm not saying randy isn't considering using his lord in the way you describe, but I think in this particular instance, he really was just having some preconcieved notions about how powerful the man he was going to serve could eventually become tumble down around him. I imagine a grimoire has some sort of drawback that makes it less useful than an unlimited spell list.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  5. Nick Siracusa

Nick Siracusa Level 3 (Apprentice) Exiles Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think that Alma jumped up to Tier 2 as well. If I'm remembering correctly, when Richter became Tier 2 there was a cut to the MV and described Alma's transformation into a larger dragon-type creature (similar in my mind to a pokemon evolution)

I think that Alma jumped up to Tier 2 as well. If I'm remembering correctly, when Richter became Tier 2 there was a cut to the MV and described Alma's transformation into a larger dragon-type creature (similar in my mind to a pokemon evolution). I would be a bit surprised if there was a negative experience modifier for brain drain.

6. Nick Siracusa

Nick Siracusa Level 3 (Apprentice) Exiles Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A big part of me really wants Richter to become absurdly OP in The Land so that he can challenge the Exiles, especially the King of the Light Court and Queen of the Dark Court. Because agents from the light and dark court are keenly aware of the changes in The Land, Richer almost HAS to become OP (compared to his companions) to fight off those threats, not to mention the other Chaos Seeds. Though he has the necklace of scry defence, there are other means to track him, specifically that one being that saw his visage by summoning a shade or something in the charred remains of the knightblades facility. Also, even though Richter can be pretty OP, he can be absurdly irresponsible, so he kind of will always be in tough, life and death type situations.

2tymes likes this.
  7. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A down side to a Grimoire is someone else Litch slapping you and using it against you!

I really don’t think Randy’s sworn oath will mess Ricther over. I don’t expect any betrayal. When Mama met Ricther she had already been told about his actions against the Count “freeing their people”. With that in mind They would have seen Ricther as on their side. Any plans and actions taken by Mama or Randy would only be to further their cause. I do expect to find out what Randy’s sworn oath is when they reach the Hall of Elemental Hunters. At that point I expect Ricther to say well $/!) and go with it. Only to find out it Puts him waist deep with them all.

ShoughtLoud and Nick Siracusa like this.
  8. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

Of course they used him, innocents by the hundreds were in danger and Randolphus had every reason to suspect assasins would be sent to clean up the royal stain. Richter provided Mama with a convenient way to get those people out of the city under the cover of them taking up service with a local Master and she took it.

She continued to use Richter. For example

Richter assumes Mama is being affected by his fame into spreading the word of the village, but I think she'd be spreading the word if he was a complete unknown.

As of the latest, she herself is on the way with yet another wave.

Nothing wrong with what she did in my eyes, she gave Richter what he asked for and more.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Captain BlackJack likes this.
  9. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don’t think most people consider people mutually benefiting from each other as being used.

10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd consider it being used when someone sends refugees by the hundreds my way without telling me about it or any of their other plans that involve me and my people. Without Nexus's warning they wouldn't know the caravan was coming, and with it hundreds of new mouths to feed, at a time when stores are already running low.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  11. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    One potentially downside of having&using a Grimoire would be if the Owner lost it somehow they would most likely also lose all they Spells it contains, advance versions of Soul Bond (minimum Lvl3) would be a Must for it, as well as a very safe place to Keep It. An likely issue is that you are likely to have to have a Grimoire in Physical Contact with you (possibly in your hands?) when you are Casting any Spells that it contains, although you might be able to Temporary Memorize any Spell in it similarly to how it worked in D&D Wizards Spell Books (?), say one day of Memory until you Cast it then it's gone and has to be Memorized again, unless maybe if your actually holding the Grimoire? Might Function a bit like a Permanent Reusable Spells Storage Item a bit like an Advanced versions of his Ring of Spell Storage and Belt of Spell Stealing? If so then it might not even need to be Book Shaped?

I wonder if a Grimoire if it falls into the Hands of someone other then it's Owner could be accessed to allow them to use the Spells inside of it? If so then it might be away for Richter to Learn are Lot of Spells very quickly, presumably if he could Learn from them like he could from a Spell Book, or perhaps a bit more like the Stone Breaker Mace Book where he can Learn the Spells over time if he isn't high enough Level to Learn them then? And even if he can't then he still might be able to use it like a regular Grimoire.
    Still accessing one when your not its true Owner probably wouldn't be easy, especially if the Owner is still alive. And a smart person would have multiple ways to Locate & Track theirs, as well as some type of Return Effect if possible. Although Richters Necklace of Anti-Scrying would likely impede those Locating effects and having it in a Holding Item would also do similar for most Return to Owner Enchantments or Spells?

12. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Technically the Village Still Doesn't Know that they are Coming, only Richter does.

13. Hastur

Hastur Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Richter is the one who came to Mama stating he needed people for his village. She is doing as asked. Now if the majority of people coming are not productive then that is taking advantage/using him. Though there should be an expectation that even professionals will have family that will contribute less than them.

14. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Exactly. This influx of villagers is as much a gift to Richter as it is a selfish act.

15. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I never said taking advantage. Using someone means precisely that, using them to further a goal of your own. Taking advantage means insinuates that the person being used is harmed in the process.

16. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Drag, you know words have meaning here as well as in the land. I believe most people here in the US would say using the term used as you have would carry a very bad meany. Most of the time it is meant as taken advantage of. Perhaps that’s because we use toilet paper. Who knows but anything to do with a person and the term used is not good.

17. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Using someone usually has a strong implication of exploitation. And it seems from your last post that you were specifically implying a disregard on Mama's part for Richter.

18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ok. I see I've expressed this badly. I just think taking advantage of someone implies a more negative relationship than using someone to further your own goals.

Lets instead say Mama made Richter her partner in an endeavor he was not made privy to, an endeavor that could easily have pulled the village into an unwinnable war against the local superpower. Of course Richter would have agreed in a second to do what Mama needed.

Randolphus took the opportunity that Richter presented to get out of Law and out of the kingdom of Yves incognito. As we later learned he intended to leave later on, but instead decided to throw his lot in with Richter's.

Krom outright says he meant to use Richter (as in take advantage of him), no getting around that :)

19. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think he already built in a way to keep the companions from becoming irrelevant. The fact that they are his companions may one day allow them to share part of his power and abilities. Specifically limitless. Also, one companion is a celestial being and another is half undine assassin with a focus. They will jave plenty of power potential to keep up with richter for a little while. Scion is now leader of the meidon amd has bondes with a celestial pixie, so plenty to work with there.

I do agree though, richter's progression will probably only speed up, making him op compared to the enemies hes faced so far. But there is a lot of room for stronger enemies to keep coming as he grows. The courts are sending elites, xeutrix is up to something, the labryinth can have ridiculously strong monsters. And his companions have room to grow with him. So it shouldnt really feel like the main character is op most of the time.

Nick Siracusa likes this.
  20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ricther dragged all of Mamas people into fights if not a war that they weren’t privy to either. I wonder if Ricther would have said “Yes I am looking for people that would be willing to give their lives for me, so I can keep this place of power I just took from a Goblin horde.”

Unfortunately, a lot of times when two parties enter a contract both parties are overly eager. At that point disclosures are often left out.
    Where I come from if your goals align and you agree to work together for any purpose it’s called mutual cooperation.

Of course Krom would use anyone to gain wealth or power. He is a Dwarf!