Eagerly Awaiting Book 9 [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I hadn't seen this before, so this is new info for me.

Is it possible that Telos is another name for the Labyrinth, or Possibly a location at the center of the Labyrinth. "world" doesn't have to mean planet, it could just indicate a place of existence. Being the center of the Labyrinth would give the second sentence meaning "A bright jewel wrapped in a lattice of realities" and would be a world that gods and demons call home. And Richter did just start the Age of Chaos. Is Remy now a chaos seed, trapped at the center of the Labyrinth?

If Telos is a "world" within the Labyrinth, could it be a god node?

2. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This kind of leads us back to the use of the word Labyrinth. I feel it’s been freely used at times as Aleron has started laying out his world. Which is completely fine. He should just make that clear. At times I believe he means the Labyrinth is the maze of all the interconnected dungeons. At other times I have felt it was a central body which connected to all dungeons as they were born and felt out. Now it seems possible that his “Telos” is the center of a labyrinthine mass of dungeons.

Some of us have placed our knowledge in Hisako and Randy when it comes to knowledge of dungeons. I think the better source is and should be Roswan and Ricther. I now consider Hisako and Randy’s knowledge like gleanings. It’s only what the have read, witnessed or been told. Where as Roswan and Ricther have direct interaction with the dungeons entity and prompts which are way more empirical. We can only hope to learn more from them in the future.

3. Belgared

Belgared Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Don't know if this is the right place or not, but aleron put a tentative early next year release for book 9

4. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Back in book 2 Terrod talks about how his cousins band was attacked by gnolls, but he couldn't recognize his cousins body among the slain. Possible opening for that guy to come back later

5. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Really, was that his cousin that had the phylactery that the Gnolls ate?

Go with it Shoutie

6. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Solid burn bro.
    But to be clear, a piece of intrigue like his cousin paying a group of gnolls to murder some people and disappearing is less likely than a death system that hasn't been hinted at much less confirmed?

7. AndyJ

AndyJ Level 12 (Rogue) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Which means mid 2021 at the earliest

8. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree, I’m not really an advocate of the Lich tier system. If you look back several others where making the statement that a Lich, Lich Lord, and Lich King could be a higher tier or an ascension. If they are then the Demilich should be put in that line as well.

I believe Drag or someone else original mentioned the phylactery on the previous thread. Remember I was the one saying the Lich was dead because of the dungeon using chaos magic as inadvertently as it was. I do believe Singh as a character is gone but is it possible for a demilich to rise from his fall? Well yeah anything is possible. Same as terrods cousin working with Gnolls to murder some people and then disappearing. I would really like to see the remnants and gleanings that are or could be left from the Lich battle. I feel like we were shorted that part. Singh, should have had a greater depository somewhere. Books, regular items, magical items, silver, and gold should be found somewhere. With that there could be a phylactery hidden away. If their is it might take another character using some sort of summoning or eldritch magic to create a demilich. I really don’t see it as an evolution but it could be.

9. R.I.C.H.T.E.R

R.I.C.H.T.E.R Level 7 (Cutpurse) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Randy constantly says that "the labyrinth is a universe unto itself". I interpret that as meaning it is not simply a bunch of interconnected dungeons, though that is part of it, but it has its own worlds and possibly even planes that are separate from the Land.

To your point about what source to trust on the Labyrinth. The fact Randy reiterates this statement multiple times in book 7 makes me think that AK was using Randy to try to clear up the confusion on the Labyrinth. So far I haven't seen any knowledge that Richter or Roswan have gained that disagree with what Randy and Hisako have said. (Forgive me if someone mentioned this already, I haven't read the whole thread.)

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  10. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    With that being said did Randy not also mentioned everything that could ever be dreamed of could be found in the Labyrinth? If so that has to include chaos magic and magical items. So how is it that Ricther has just now released chaos into the Land? I think our Consensus was that the Land at some point previously had chaos magic in it. Although some how it had to have been completely removed and prevented from re-entering the Land.

That creates a lot of questions for me. Certainly adventurers would have found chaotic items, scrolls, and spell books. Surely someone would have awakened chaos magic while in the Labyrinth. So every exit, item and person leaving would need to have a ward or a spell cast on them to prevent any chaos magic/items from entering the Land.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Belgared likes this.
  11. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Don't think that's it at all. Chaos magic clearly existed before, but Richter released Raw Chaos from a containment field into the land, not chaos magic itself. Being a higher energy magic just meant that it was very very very very rare in the Land. The Land consists of all magics to contain the courts, removing one entirely seems both improbable and impossible.

R.I.C.H.T.E.R and Andrew Lynas like this.
  12. Belgared

Belgared Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would think that chaos magic is similar in vein to eldritch, in that it is very rare. Also I think that most beings would not be able to handle using chaos since in the books even blood magic is considered very dangerous to use.

13. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Chaos is the magic of all creation and destruction. The Hearth Mother recognized chaos magic when she sees it. That doesn’t mean she had ever seen it before. It’s clear to me that Ricther released chaos into the Land with the chaos shard. The chaos particle found in the dungeon had never been seen before either. We aren’t told of any chaos magic being used in the Land prior to the chaos seeds coming from earth. In my mind no one had any chaos in the Land. Prior to the release of the of chaos characters didn’t even have the choice to be chaotic. Then Ricther ushered in the new age of chaos. If chaos had been a thing in the Land why didn’t the Exiles use it break the lock that binds them? I believe the lords of chaos had isolated their children “chaos seeds” on earth for a reason. To me the Burden of Proof would be proving that someone had used chaos magic in the Land Prior to the chaos seeds or Ricther released chaos into the Land. Before that there is no direct evidence of it being used nor could you even have a Chaotic alignment.

14. R.I.C.H.T.E.R

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Does anyone got the quote from when the new age was established? I can't remember the exact phrasing, but if it was that simply releasing chaos magic into the Land started the new age, then I would agree it had been locked away at some point. Another thought is that the Lords of Chaos didn't allow the use of chaos magic until the chaos seeds were sent to the land, at which point they allowed it to give their children an edge.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  15. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It actually says something like new powers have been awakened chaos has been let loose.

Book 6
    Chapter 48
    8:10-9:01

The Land was changed as chaos escaped
    10:07-

Some of the other guys can pull good quotes.

16. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’m not sure if the Lords of Chaos had ever left any chaos behind in the Land. We only know it was locked away with the chaos seeds on earth.

R.I.C.H.T.E.R likes this.
  17. R.I.C.H.T.E.R

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Didn't Hisako say that the Land is a manifestation of ever type of magic?

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  18. R.I.C.H.T.E.R

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Decided to go back and listen, so this is a transcription not copy paste.

"Propts appeared in the vision of every creature in the Land. Stand and witness, and ending has come, a beginning is upon you. New powers awer awake in the land, Chaos has been let loose. Surely the forces of order will not be far behind. Free yourself from the shakels of old definitions. This is a new Age. The Epic of Banished Gods has ended, the Age of Chaos has begun. A truth has been revealed to all the denizens of the land, goodness and evil are not the only dettermenance of ones character. No longer will you be bound by a binary alignment the consequences for societies and the land itself will only be known in time."

You were right about the chaper/time.

19. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So what do you think? Did Ricther let chaos loose in the Land? What new powers would he have awakened? So far awakening powers in the series means awakening types of Magic right? Or will it be argued that the new powers are the chaos seeds themselves?

20. R.I.C.H.T.E.R

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well, one thought would be that to use magics in the Land they need to be awakend. Meaning once a requirement is met the power is awakend similar to pop.

My other thought is about how powers are sentient, I believe that is explicitly stated when Richter fully awakened his pop. If the powers of the Land have their own sentience, could they be have been put to sleep (locked away) at some point?

Either way someone created the pedestal that the shard of chaos was on, a pedestal that only allowed chaos seeds to reach the shard (possibly just a being steeped in chaos magic, similar to how the death knight was steeped in eldrich magic). I think that this implies that... something, I'm not sure what it means yet, I feel like I have the start of an idea but can't yet fit it together. What are your thoughts?