Eagerly Awaiting Book 9 [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Feb 4, 2020.

1. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Planar magic sounds like a category to me, but it could be just another type. I suppose it is possible the the planar magic school is all about moving between and surviving in other planes of existence. That alone could open way to considerable power to the caster. I’d imagine extremely powerful abilities would be available on other planes of existence.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  2. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No doubt that there is magical spells from all the planes that would transit from one to another. I would think all of which would be somewhat different based on their specific magic type.

3. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I could name a better use for any extra roots she has.

4. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree, however i felt that i should at least entertain another possible explanation of what ‘planar magic’ could be. It was after all only named with no further details.

5. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Share with us your wisdom ;)

6. Belgared

Belgared Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would saving the lives of members of his inner circle or his elite soldiers would be worth it over powering up his dungeon imo.

7. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Grafting, would definitely be a better move. He could graft the roots to other magical trees. One of the best would be the same trees the scribes tablets were made from. Grafting the small roots to some small branches then planting them in his green house or better yet a special room in the dungeon. The later would offer faster growth. Which could mean grafts would take better and grow faster. Then they could be transplanted either in his domain or in a private dungeon forest. What was the dungeon growth bonus with the village bonus? Was it 35% or 45% all together?

Dragon likes this.
  8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    which only help if the roots are not unique to the HT and its pop. Considering HM and the nature oriented sprites only grow them in that one location...

Said plants would also need to be able to support the root.

9. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The trees used for the scholars tablets were magical in that their wood readily allows for enchantments. Those trees being magically neutral should be capable of being grafted to any type of tree root. If the roots do not impart anything to the grafted tree they would still retain their own nature. Multiplying the root at an accelerated rate alone would be a big boon. Gaining any wood from a grafted tree capable of being enchanted or enchanted naturally with life energies would be another boon.

Dragon likes this.
  10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Which ignores my point entirely. Can the roots be grafted onto a less magically capable tree than the HT without dying or being used to alter (upgrade) the tree? The HT is the symbol of a level 3 pop, according to HM that's where they get the roots. Those roots are some of the most powerful items we know of.

The answer is unknown, just as its unknown whether the roots will spawn in the Dungeon after Life is awakened in it. I'm guessing the roots will be a unique resource of the HT, which serves to keep this valuable resource scarce. At least until the HT pop reaches a higher level and more roots can be harvested.

11. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sorry, I wasn’t trying to ignore your question or your point.

As I stated any magical tree should be capable of being grafted to those trees. Those trees had a magical ability that would allow them to be enchanted with stronger enchantments then normal wood. From my understanding they channel magic better.

I wouldn’t try to graft anything that was the magical opposite. Like Abyssal tree roots to a celestial tree. That would certainly cause problems. Trees of the same species and often trees of the same genus can be grafted. Did you know sometimes trees will naturally graft to each other? Better root stock makes for a healthier stronger tree. Grafting tree limbs can offer multiple fruits off the same tree. For instance you could have peaches, plumes, and nectarines all from one tree. I would think a tree of life and a celestial tree would be compatible. The idea is to actually grow and multiply the Roots of the life tree.

It could be that those trees would need to be planted on a life ley line in order for them to absorb ambient life energies. I am under the impression that the Hearth tree is a tree of life that sprang up from a life ley line. I believe that is the magic of a seed core development into the type of tree the Land needs or wants it to be. The Hearth Tree sprouting from a seedcore growing a life tree on a life ley line should make it extremely powerful.

My point of placing a grafted trees in a dungeon room would be to get faster growth and faster healing of the graft. As I mentioned after they have grown together they could be moved anywhere. A dungeon forest would be nice for extended rapid growth but they could be planted along any ley line or anywhere else. I would only graft the Hearth tree roots but I would be looking to graft all sorts of trees including the celestial trees roots.

I see no real problem as long as they remain in a controlled environment. I wouldn’t want
    any of my resources being taken or messed with.

12. Belgared

Belgared Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Since rictor dropped a root into the well, could he not make it an item that he confiscates so he could use it for any purpose that he needs?

13. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No doubt if and when he ever gets any from a drop in the Dungeon. Growing it at a 35-45% rate faster then it grows at the Hearth tree would be worth while. That is if it keeps its potency. It is possible that it would be weaker although in time the ambient life energy it gives off would help awaken life magic in the Dungeon as well. Growing grafted saplings from 1 foot tall to 3-4 foot tall wouldn’t take long in the dungeon. They could be transplanted at that point any where they want.

14. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    hahhabahhaba hub boom boom
    There are billions of ways to awaken life magic in the dungeon without using ONLY just The roots. Brain my dudes!

15. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    this Grafting seems like a esoteric technique that could lead to some mutation of the root.. and BOOm. We have tentacle pr0n!
    Kinki Cptn kinky ;DD

16. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How precisely? ;)

The Dungeon has consumed a lot of things, including enchantted items and spells. without it moving the needle as much as a milimeter on power awakening. Items of pure power are rare. I'm not saying there are no alternatives to sacrificing the roots, but other items imbued with pure life power could easily be worth as much as the roots.

I suppose one path would be to ask HM whether she knows of any items expressing pure life power apart from the roots.

17. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sorry Pokey, roots don’t become mutated from grafting. Remember roots aren’t just the intelligent part of the plant but they feed the rest of the plant. If anything roots could cause a change in the rest of the plant.

18. AndyJ

AndyJ Level 12 (Rogue) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Seed Cores would probably work

19. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    For life or some mixture of the eight basic elements?

I would like to see Richter put a seed core into the well. I think there would be some kind of effect. But as even the HT needs centuries to create such a seed, let alone the lesser ht's, any future seeds would almost have to be spend on establishing new sprite settlements.

20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Why would a seed core only offer the ability to awaken the basic Magic’s?

Why would you want to drop A seedcore down the well?

It would make much more sense to me to use a seedcore for other purposes. I had been ridiculed horribly at times in the past for making some statements. One of which was Me saying Ricther needed to make something similar to a monster machine from Hana-Barbera. We know Ricther can make rooms that will not consume specific items or anything. He could build a room for a seed core then place it in the floor or the ceiling so it’s ambient energies could mutate any and all of the dungeons monster types. That would also allow for the dungeon to consume ambient energies from a seedcore but not the core itself. After some limited time the room could be expanded and the seedcore could be planted inside a room. Of course you would still need it protected from consumption by the dungeon. Once a tree started growing it would benefit from the village and the dungeons growth rates just like the egg chamber. The Hearth Mother could Bless the tree using her growth spell when it was planted. Then with the dungeons rapid growth you should have another core in less then half the time. It should also grant some nice bonuses for the dungeon.

Dropping a seedcore in the well of offering might offer the ability to spawn them as loot drops. Then again the dungeon might not have the capability to make them. If it did develop the ability how often would a Dungeon offer such a rare and marvelous item? That’s two unknowns I would be too fearful of. I think Inwould go with the guaranteed way.

Shouldn’t the Dungeon learn how to produce a celestial tree in time anyway? It should be consuming ambient energies from it now. Like other resources found around Ricthers domain the more common they are the more likely they could be found in the dungeon. That would give reason to try and place a entrance as close to any seed-core formed tree/ Hearth tree possible. At least it would drive the dungeon DP’s. I am also still advocating Ricther return to the failed Hearth tree to see if the Hearth Mother could revitalize it. They might even remove it all that remains for lumber, roots, the bark, and anything left. The entirety of the failed Hearth tree could be used. Not mentioning gifting it to the well.

Belgared and AndyJ like this.