Eagerly Awaiting Book 9 [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I doubt it. The talk about ambient magic was that it increased stuff and made resources appear and such. It was all things that currently weren’t around in the mist village. The dungeon will be the entity emitting magic, not the village and the mist.

2. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well the village also emits magic with the unlocking of powers

3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Kindir seem like an extremely resillient race, immune to most poisons and probably most toxins as well. They are also strong mentally (Don't forget, 3 of them died under the hands of experienced torturers without breaking and they barely managed to crack the fourth. You snatch four random humans going about their business and allow some monster to play with them for days, I reckon they'll all be telling you everything you want to know as well as things you don't even care to know about) and adapt at getting the hell out of dodge. While those are not particularly noble or powerful traits compared to certain other races, they are useful tools for someone who wants to stay alive.

I reckon they are one of the few races that will almost certainly make it through a cataclysm. Not unscathed, but they'd be extremely difficult to stomp out entirely.

4. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Anything magical emits ambient mana.

Mister Bill likes this.
  5. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That is a good question. I would think ley lines would survive like a lot of other things. I do believe it could be possible to interrupt a nexus. If a nexus or ley lines were specifically attacked it could cause the to change or reroute.

Mister Bill likes this.
  6. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree that its still the same era though. Something like the banks would be hard pressed to survive a cataclysm unscathed. I suppose they might be able to endure by basically turtling around the core building with stacks of powerful core golems, and various other defences, but I don't think so. Also, cataclysms are attempts to destroy the planet, they likely leave marks that would take eons to heal.

As for ley lines, I'd say that depends entirely on how the rest off the land is affected. They could probably move if the effect was big enough, with some nexuses drying up and others being formed.

7. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well if that was the period of the Teffonim (the great builders), then it might have been. They seemed pretty disgusted with Deamon that messed with the dead/undead.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  8. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I haven’t thought of that. That would be a great reason for all the Teffonim to move on together. The saw the ending coming fought it as much as they possibly could. Then they decided to move on in order to survive.

9. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I believe everything magical in the Land radiates ambient magic. All Ambient magical energies can be seen or felt at relative distances. Like Ricthers sense of chaotic magic. Singh could feel the Sepulcher steeped in death magic from a vast distance away. The HM is effected by several items Ricther brings up due to her strong alignment same as Sumiko with death magic just a bit less dramatic. Remember the seed core radiating its magical ability. It mutated the scaling. The celestial magic of the quickening radiates through the village granting the villagers its benefits. Places of power pour ambient energies into their domains as they strengthen by leveling up. As those energies expand they effect everything in the domain as it increases in size. The dungeon a living magical being or creature absorbs those energies as it does it learns to make them. Eventually dungeons will over flow with the magic they learn and then those energies flow back into the surrounding areas increasing ambient mana. Remember that in book eight Ricther had to use rock that had been infused with mana in order to make the powdered crystal. I don’t know if it were the iron plant that did that or not. Considering it all now the scorpions were magical mutated same as some of the worms. Had they all been magically changed by the iron beans? Or as Ricther suggested is there something else more powerful like a chaos shard?

Mister Bill likes this.
  10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Why do you think the scorpions were mutated? I think they were just that big naturally.

I'm fairly sure monsters in general have an ability to partially sustain themselves on mana. That would explain how lairs can unleash entire monster hordes, and how giant predatory worms and scorpions can survive in the underground. They'd still need to hunt to grow and survive.

Mister Bill likes this.
  11. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't remember Richter suggesting there might be a chaos shard or something that powerful nearby.

He believed he sensed a chaos seed, and we know there were 5 sets of eyes watching him with 4 orcs visible.

Albatross1873 likes this.
  12. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Initially when he first when in he did. Saying it could only be a few things, including the shard I believe.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  13. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It seems to me that if he cast vitality on a beast, and then killed it and deconstrcted it (skinning?, whatever they are calling that), then he might gain Zootomy. It would be very useful on lots of creatures without the downside of Harvest, if he can level it appropriately.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  14. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Might even be synergistic with Harvest

15. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was wondering about that as well. I like were your mind is at. I wonder if Beyan has some skill that like Zootomy, maybe taxidermy.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  16. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He seems a little brutal in his exploration of the dead in my understanding, same as Richter (though maybe a bit more refined than Richter standing in a chest cavity).

To me it seemed like, from the description, zootomy was reserved for almost surgical exercises in dissection. Vitality puppet would be a good start. On the slightly more evil side, using it while dissecting the creature to get an even more in depth understanding of the bodily functions before it expires/ you kill it would be a way to power level the skill.

Andrew Lynas and Johan like this.
  17. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Bryan might be at the same level as Ricther but he sure did recognize the bone structure of creatures. He was also a good enough to sort out skeletons.

18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    From eating the Iron beans.

Ricther made the comment about the tier two worms being mutated from perhaps something like a shard. The tier two worms were a lot bigger and more dangerous then the tier one worms.
    It’s in the very last chapter of book eight.

Mister Bill likes this.
  19. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The word mutated isn't in book 8.

A symbiotic relationship would make sense. The scorpions eat the berries and over time build up a carapace. At the same time they disperse the seeds whereever they go. Given their generally low standards of hygiene, they probably shit where they eat and sleep. Meaning plenty of nutrients and water available.

Mister Bill and Andrew Lynas like this.
  20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well Drag, I wasn’t quoting the book. Do you remember the exact words? I believe it said something about the Scorpions eating the magic Iron beans. Then them developing the malleable iron exoskeleton. I believe it was also stated that the rock surrounding the bean plant had been infused with magic as well. That’s where he obtained the rock with the potential to be changed into powdered Chrystal. I would like to know where and when did he learn a spell to turn rock into powdered Chrystal? I don’t recall that. Perhaps he bought that ability?