Eagerly Awaiting Book 9 [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So I listened to Aleron’s AMA. A few questions were answered.

Firstly : Richter did learn common Daemon Speak. It wasn't just an effect of the challenge, that allows them to understand each other like I thought. It is an effect of his tier.

Secondly : The kingdom of yves has multiple places of power. The original was at law and as the boarder expanded it overlapped with the boarder of another PoP. As the boarders overlapped the, the Pop came into conflict. I suppose you can't have two masters of a region. Now those PoP are run by Barron or similar and are apart of Yves.

TWW101, Mister Bill, Belgared and 5 others like this.
  2. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Mansplaining :

What @Johan says is:
    Richto became capable of Deamon speak upon reaching Tier2.
    Yves is made form small-mostly self ruled/self judged kingdoms or dukedoms or lordd'oms :D and their together form Kingdom. So what now?? Check for a new thread
    Ak's vid

3. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ah yes he did say dukes.

4. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So actual feudalism.

I expect the stronger Yvesian kings have something closer to absolutist rule, given their control over the professional army - such as it is - and Law itself, with all the wealth and power it brings.

Seems like a given, but good to have it confirmed beyond any doubt. The kingdom is even larger than I expected (Aleron says its comparable in size to the US, which doesn't make a lot of sense given the map but i'll roll with it), with many pops, Mines, Dungeons, possibly a handfull of core buildings or powerful buildings from greater civilisations in the past such as the kindir palace. Probably a couple hundred million people.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    Mister Bill and PokemonThug like this.
  5. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Watching now. He has given us two nuggets thus far

1) Dungeon Masters can have more than one Dungeon as long as they fullfill very specific conditions.

2) Then talking about the Dungeon in law he mentions a treasury before breaking off and giving us a big spoiler on how pop's work. If there is a treasury in Law's Dungeon taking say 10% of all loot as all coin and stacking up on all sorts of forbidden objects, that would be huge. The ultimate treasure hunt.

AndyJ likes this.
  6. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So this is getting out of hand xD

Ballad of Roswan, earth story, early history /current yvesian dukes storyline, more storylines that weren't fleshed out.

June/july book 9.in land

september book 2 gods eye

December book 1 third series, unammed

You can do it Aleron. Don't make us pull an Annie Wilkes on you. XD

Mister Bill and Belgared like this.
  7. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Is 1 gold 100 silvers? or 10 silvers?

8. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Gold Coins are one of the currencies of The Land. They are also called Gold Crowns. They are worth ten Silver Coin.

Belgared and Johan like this.
  9. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ...did you just randomly answer yourself?

10. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I still believe Ricther should have several coins minted of the highest standard. All of those coins should have the dungeon on one side and a Nobel deed or some feat Ricther achieved on the other. Then those coins should be thrown in the well of offering. At some point in the distant future those coins will generate fame points for Ricther. From the very beginning they will remind everyone there is a new powerful dungeon in the land.

11. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Let the system do the calculations and set up virtual coinage, like bit coin lol

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  12. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hmmmmmm

Sounds like my crystal ball was working pretty good doesn’t it Drag?

I swear I wish we had access to our old site!

13. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I still believe that the sacking of the hall of elemental hunters could help bring about Ricthers on private bank.

If Ricther defeats the HoEHs and takes control of it would that large of a wealth transfer create a new call to the banks?

Now that would be funny!

The Banks are searching hard now wanting to do some business with the guy that found that chaos particle. They might want to do some business with the lands newest millionaire.

If the Hall of Elemental Hunters treasury hasn’t been touched for hundreds of years that Ten Percent off the top will be FAT! It might have laid untouched since the mad dungeon keeper had been killed by his family. That is the keeper in Randy’s story.

Ricther would have enough at that point to fund a bank.

I could see the banks looking for the new Dungeon Master of the HoEH’s. That would make a great opportunity for the banks to do some more business.

Johan likes this.
  14. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If Ricther does create a bank I can see him bringing some earthly tech to the Land with a magical twist. Perhaps a new land bank tech with wealth transfer rings?

15. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm happy to deny being wrong. There is no evidence that I ever said it couldn't be done, now is there ;)

There is a reason I point it out, for one it is interesting, for another its something I was clearly wrong about. But Aleron also implied that it requires very specific circumstances to hold a second Dungeon Mastery.

Captain BlackJack and Johan like this.
  16. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And if he didn't specify the treasury was only at level 1 (which we see it can level in book 7 while Richter is building his) it could be taxing at higher than 10% as well. Coupled with the kings taxes and the guild taxes, adventurers are likely making much less in Yves than the 25% they've been alluded to be gaining.

Captain BlackJack, AndyJ and Johan like this.
  17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That kind of thing existed in the real medieval world, in the form of documents. It removed the necesity of moving chests filled with gold and silver around all the time.

In more advanced Land societies there could be easier ways to move wealth and small packages around. The river peninsula is just too poor and undeveloped for the general populace to have access to such means.

Its not really something a laborer who lives paycheck-to-paycheck needs, nor do the peasant farmer have much use for it.

Its potentially useful to the wealthy as a supplement to the purse/ pouch of holding. The convenience factor makes it worthwhile.

Johan likes this.
  18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Novice Adventurers can presumably still make more than the 2 cobber per day needed to match a laborers wages outside the Dungeon. Though its possible they dream of getting to a somewhat higher personal level, allowing them to earn more.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  19. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh absolutely, I was just saying, even at ten percent, if the king and the guild are taking 75% off on top of that or even just of what's left, they are still getting the proverbial shaft.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They are definitely getting shafted. Probably done to force adventurers, especially novice adventurers, to Dungeon dive more often. The government wouldn't want adventurers to go weeks or months between runs.

A fun calculation:

Richter and company kills 36 tuskers on the first level. About 10% give a lootball. The total haul is 1 silver and 7 cobber, along with an almost useless healing potion. At least useless for combat, someone with a broken arm would likely appreaciate healing it up in 2 minuts. Lets say its worth another 5 cobber for a total of 22 cobbers worth of loot. After taxes (lets call it 80%) that would have left them them with 4 cobber 4 iron bites to split if it happened in Law.

For further fun.

Each tusker is worth around 5 iron bits in loot. For a party of 5 adventurers that's 1 iron bit before taxes. To earn 2 silver each forthnight the adventurer has to take part in killing 200 creatures without considering taxes. With taxes that number becomes 1000 creatures every forthnight or around 70 creatures a day.

At least levelling should be easy.