Eagerly Awaiting Book 9 [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Cire122

Cire122 Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wonder if current events not only spread up the release date but color the story.

2. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Diplomacy Points and Espionage Points

How would this work between two allies such as the Mist Village and the Hearth Tree? Would there be a huge reduction in Diplomacy Points cost to complete a task (such as purchase tech) when requesting, because the relationship is so high. I would think so. Not that the dude has many points anyway, but maybe more will come when he talks to Hisako again.

For some nuetral place like the Dwarves or Rione or Hallies' Rest, it would probably be a wee bit more difficult. If a diplomat is used, then you would probably need to say what settlement you represent, or even need a embassy first, depending on the relationship rank. If one doesn't want to reveal their location, then Espionage is the way to go. We have no one (except) Randy, that would not get caught easily. Randy is having one trained, but noobs get caught. Could Randy find the time to spy if MoMA arrives?

3. Commander Azure

Commander Azure Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Can you please elaborate?

4. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If AK is quarantined at home because of the coronavirus, he might be making more progress on book 9. And maybe it will inspire AK to create a new plague for the land. But please don't wipe out the Pixies!

BTW, Commander Azure isn't a reference to High Marshal Azure is it?

5. Cire122

Cire122 Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    AK might have more time to write not going to conventions, etc. Also, authors draw from their experiences, what they find interesting, stories they like and other things to inspire them. I wonder if we might see a plague magus, or a disease being a much bigger factor during a siege. Skaven plague priest from warhammer or necrophose from Dota 2 come to mind. There are plenty of other examples. Death magic with plague spells and maybe blood magic saves the day cleansing your blood and super charging your body when life magic failed and things would have been dire.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  6. Commander Azure

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So, I was playing a .io game a while back and it asked for your Commander name (I think it was some sort of outer space thing), and I thought it sounded cool, so that's what I did. Since then, it's just been what I've name myself for video games and forums and stuff. I was really excited when Brandon wrote in a Commander Azure to Stormlight, but no, just a coincidence.

Waterhobit likes this.
  7. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have no doubt that conversation with Hisako will end with plenty of diplo points being generated and maybe a favor as well. The question is, how will Hisako use that favor? What might she want from Richter now that she has sent her forces to die in his battle? A more extensive trade treaty perhaps?

Ten swords has to be a pittance against her real need for steel and enchanted weapons (somehow I doubt there is a forge inside the HT), and the village is reaching the point where their own basic needs for weaponry has been settled.

Commander Azure likes this.
  8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As for sending Randy to spy, the question would be who runs the realm? Kingdoms do not run themselves.

9. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Minimal forces were really sent tho (dungeon beasts) also it was against a threat that threatened the entire Forrest of Nadria, where she happens to reside. She'd have shot herself in the foot if she hadn't helped. In return she gets a much more dedicated mist village ready to help her in anyway they can in the future. Which with how it has been and will continue to grow, is the true prize.

Joe Schmoe likes this.
  10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Agreed. But there is no question she stepped in and helped Richter. The system should recognize the lich as a definit threat to Richter, large parts of the forest and a maybe against HM if she makes it back to her place of power where her lifemagic is at its strongest. Not to mention she has the grass on her side, whatever it does.

So some diplo points to both sides, but HM takes the lions share. The strengthened bond is as you say, the true price, but diplo points should be useful for greasing the wheels even in the most amiable relationship.

11. Commander Azure

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We still don't know what diplomacy points do, which means that they could end up being practically worthless. Probably not, but could.

12. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You are thinking Hisako would gain a favour? I was thinking if one of the two would gain one, it would be Richtær. It was Hisako that called her Ally the MV to battle the Eldritch Litch.

13. Commander Azure

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm pretty sure it's spelled Lich. But good point!

14. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Liche even might have been Richtær's issue at first, but HM kinda force him. The result of the quest he accepted should be a turning point in their relationship.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Captain BlackJack and Joe Schmoe like this.
  15. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah against a domestic enemy within the boundaries of his claimed realm. Thats something any calculation has to keep in mind, as Richter is the one to actually benefit. At least at first.

If I read the situation right, HM spent diplo points convincing Richter of the seriousness of the situation. Which means since the village would have been destroyed in a battle with the eldritch lich, she basically saves the settlement at her own expense. Thats why Richter would owe her a favor, not because of the use of the alliance, which is rewarded with diplo points and strengthened relationships.

16. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Her voice became somewhat more formal,
    “As the ally of the Hearth Tree, I expect the Mist Village to help destroy this menace.”
    Richter’s eyes widened slightly as he realized that Hisako was no longer speaking as a friend and mentor, but instead as one ruler to another. That realization was further cemented as a prompt filled his vision.

You have been offered a Civilization Quest: Proper Rest II
    1. You have been offered your first Civilization Quest.
      1. These are when one settlement asks something of another.
      2. The consequences of such quest can aid or damage your entire Civilization!
    2. Hisako has formally charged you with removing what she considers a dire threat.
      1. The Wood Sprites of the Hearth Tree have invoked their alliance with the Mist Village.
      2. After the goblin encampment is destroyed, she requires that all your efforts, and the resources of your village, be focused upon destroying the Lich Lord
    3. Success Conditions:
      1. Remove the Lich Lord threat
    4. Rewards:
      1. Increased Relationship with Hisako and the Hearth Tree
      2. Possibly more Settlement Level quests once you have proven yourself as an Ally
    5. Penalty for failure or refusal of Quest:
      1. Substantial damage to your settlement’s relationship with the Hearth Tree
      2. Damage your personal relationship with Hisako.
      3. Loss of Ally status
    6. Your Ally has called upon you.
      1. This quest cannot be refused!
    7. Time remaining to complete this Quest to the Hearth Mother’s satisfaction: 10 days.
    Richter had picked up on the fact that Hisako was serious from her tone, but reading the prompt disturbed him. And a civilization quest? If he understood it properly, his alliance with the wood sprites would be in jeopardy if he failed his quest. His relationship with the sprites was a cornerstone of his life in The Land. It had never really occurred to him that he might lose their steadfast support. Seeing as the sprites were his only allies in a world full of enemies and monsters, he took what she was saying very seriously.

Speaking formally to match her tone, Richter said, “Lady Hisako. Your support and friendship mean more to me than all the gold in all the kingdoms of this world. I know I still have much to learn and count myself lucky that you have chosen to stand beside me to meet the dangers of The Land. You need never doubt my dedication to our friendship or our alliance. I promise you, we will destroy this threat.

Hisako relaxed her gaze, and her face softened, “Thank you, Lord Richter. I am sorry if it appeared that I doubted you. As children of the forest, my people will always stand against forces that will corrupt it. Thank you for honoring your commitment to us.

You have received +500 (base +250) Relationship Points with Hisako.
    Current Relationship: Ally.
    Total Relationship Points: 102,378.

The Mist Village has received +500 (base +250) Relationship Points with the Hearth Tree.
    Current Relationship: Ally.
    Total Relationship Points: 101,411.

The Mist Village has received +500 (base +250) Diplomacy Points in regards to the Hearth Tree.
    Lack of Town Hall causes complete loss of any gained Diplomacy Points.
    Current Diplomacy Points (Mist Village → Hearth Tree): 0

Know This: You have made a bold promise to the Hearth Mother. She has taken you at your word. All relationship and diplomacy bonuses increased by 100%. Failure to fulfill your promise will cause any losses to relationship and diplomacy to be increased by 500%. Never forget, your words have meaning!

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  17. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So we already got the bonuses for diplos and we get a modifier once he gets back since the lich is dead

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  18. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hrrm yes. So all I have to look forward to are the new Proven Ally quests from Hisako. Richtær is about to formally enter a war, on a side, that has been raging for eras.

19. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What ever happened to Leandra and Killik? What are the chances they could be a part of Mamma’s caravan? What skills or professions might they bring to the village?

20. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Very good chance they will be included. She will be added to the harem, he will be put to work running the magic shop unless he can teach or do research.

Joe Schmoe likes this.