Eagerly Awaiting Book 9 [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

99%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’m sorry I didn’t realize I said he would find a mint in the Ogres stronghold.

2. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If you had made the suggestion I might agree. It depends on the exact requirements to build a mint and invoke the power of the banks.

Historically many smaller cities minted their own coins. In the Land, the banks may act as gatekeepers to keep smaller factions from doing that, but it is also possible that the power of the banks can be invoked by any faction.

I recognize this is a change from positions I've espoused earlier.

Given that the kobolds raw cobber, silver, and gold nuggets count as an official currency, the conditions can't be that stringent.

Maybe the magic proving the validity of coinage can be invoked as long as the value, purity, etc. of the metal is equivalent to the bank standard, regardless of the actual form of the coinage. Might be a need for a building, trait, writ or something else, or it could be similar to the system that enforces prices. That would mean anyone can create coinage, but that coinage will be forced to be a certain value regardless of where the currency is made.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  3. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sorry I thought you have said that he is going to find a library there. I mean there might be mage Ogres.. but certainly not many.
    I do believe representatives there will be plenty of, however none of the representatives actually know that they are looking for Richter in particular.

They right now want the Chaos shard! And Probably no one will be able to bring that to them. Because there are like literally two places in the world where you can get them(not dungeon due to safety room or confiscation room) but flying beast/city.. or some other random location and that one maybe will produce the shard vs chaos points.. I bet Richter could literally by himself get a loan for his village cause the representative will have no clue who Richter is..

4. Captain BlackJack

99%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My only suggestion is that Ricther pay someone with the ability to mint good coins. Then Ricther throw those coins minted for him into the dungeons well of offering. Then Ricther would get good coinage from the dungeon. I wonder if Roswan could set the dungeon to only produce new MV coins? Otherwise I would only expect a small percentage of the coinage to be MV coins spawned by the dungeon.

5. LazorGoop

LazorGoop Level 6 (Footpad) Exiles Citizen

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    >> Suppose Richter re-tames the Barrow Harbinger and then takes it with him to capture the Dungeon core of the Hall of Elementals and claims that Dungeon since he is already a Dungeon Master with a God Node.

Captain BlackJack and Johan like this.
  6. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like the idea, Aleron said it required very specific circumstances to claim more than one dungeon, and having the harbinger of your own dungeon fight alongside you while fighting another dungeon seems like it could be a reasonable part of that.

As far as taming the harbinger though... I don't think it'd work out too well. I know he has huge bonuses for reptiles but given its level (total days tamed is level times 4 currently I think) and predisposition to buck control as a chaotic being, I think that snake might be gone to him. Now if he could get his hands on some offspring, or better yet Eggs, that could be powerful ally to raise. He could attempt animal husbandry on eggs and anything between 1-~12 wouldn't be too bad to tame. He just has such a chaotic life right now that needing to correctly tame the harbinger for upwards of 140 days (days, not casts) would be a tall order. Not to mention, that if he takes the harbinger away, then the dungeon is left without its biggest gun.

Captain BlackJack and Johan like this.
  7. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

27%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Presumably the circumstances would be somewhat different depending on wether the second Dungeon he tried to gain control of is Brand New and has never been Claimed before (an exceptionally rare opportunity) or wether it's been Claimed by someone before.

Presumably if it's been Claimed before you would need at least the Dungeon Crystal and probably access to the Dungeons Item of Power/Heart and someway to either defeat the Guardian or more likely Dominate/Tame the Guardian, and possibly an Affinity for whatever Magic that the Dungeon has Awoken to. Having a Lay Line and Nodes that connects the Dungeons might be important as well? What else, only Aleron knows.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  8. AndyJ

AndyJ Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wouldn't he JUST need the Dungeon Heart? There isn't necessarily a reason to fight to claim it it he finds it under the king's bed.

I think that the special circumstances would be having a Dungeon Keeper with a "Multi-Dungeon Management Skill"

9. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    For the second level of the village, I'm wondering about the next distance. 10 miles could follow the normal ranking progression system: 10, 25, 50, 100. But maybe not. Could be that HT is 50 miles away. Couple days walk.

10. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would say 10 more miles is already plenty enough. Square numbers get out of hand quickly

11. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Supposedly Aleron hinted that it might take more than just "oh hey look the crystal" on Richter's part
    But also confirmed that it is possible

12. LazorGoop

LazorGoop Level 6 (Footpad) Exiles Citizen

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    >> I was thinking more a catch and release scenario for the Harbinger so that it can reclaim it's rightful place in the Barrow. There is a chance that the Dungeon core gives him a boon and allows the Harbinger to join him for a time without a tame.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  13. Captain BlackJack

99%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I believe you are thinking about the dungeon crystal instead of the dungeons heart.

My understanding is that normally one would explore and fight their way through a dungeon once slaying the Harbinger they have some period to search for the dungeons heart. If they find it they can either claim it for it power or value. If they don’t remove the dungeons heart they can claim the dungeon itself. At that point they would be offered the dungeons crystal that grants ownership like that of a PoP.

I would like to know could Ricther challenge another Dungeon Master for control of their dungeons crystal?

(A) Absorb the crystal theory.

Could Ricther take a dungeons crystal and instead of using it himself could he add its power to his dungeon? Similar to breaking down a PoP crystal

(B) Absorb the dungeon theory.

Could Ricther add the whole body of a dungeon to his dungeon as if the captured dungeon becomes a lair or multiple lairs of his own?

Personally I like (B). I think with the inter dimensional space ability he earned at level 10 that his dungeon could encompass the HoEHs. Engulfing it in a dimensional plain that only allows acces from its entrances through the Dungeon of Bloody Chaos.

14. Captain BlackJack

99%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think most people might be overestimating the distance to the HT. Most of us want to compare the average speed one can walk to how many days it would take. I think it’s pertinent to remember that the original trip made to the HT would have needed to be blazed. Walking through dense foliage and under growth is very difficult. Many people would anguish and despair over the difficulties of traveling such terrain. Most people’s travel time would be cut down to a third or less. That type of terrain traveled by Hernado Desoto across the southern United States yo the Ms River would be compareble terrain some 500 years ago.

Edit: Once a good path laid or a trail cut times would dramatically decrease as the rate of speed would be much improved.

15. Captain BlackJack

99%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would also think that by the time it’s enlarged again the will be on or very near the HT. 10 miles a day would be good travel time in natural undergrowth.

Why did Aleron use Square miles? Shouldn’t he have used a ten mile radius? That would seem more realistic due to his power coming from a specific point and radiating outwards. I don’t know of any power source that emits power any other way.

16. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It is a circle
    A=pi*r^2

I would say that the radii likely change when the classification of the settlement does. Like a level 3 village could reach 30 miles but a level 3 kingdom would reach 150 or some such

17. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That could be true, a tier system with ranks/levels would make sense.

18. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also in book 4 Sion says the HT is more than 100 miles south of them while they do their first monster hunt (after the party he enters the danger zone, but before they learn beyan is a death Mage)

Johan likes this.
  19. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 13 (Assassin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He’d need the specific power to remove the item of power after killing the harbinger (permanently?). He can’t do that right now.

20. Captain BlackJack

99%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What specific power did he need? All I recall was he had to slay the Harbinger. Tantamount to defeating the dungeon itself and then find the item of power. My understanding was once that happens he would get a prompt. Something like will you claim this dungeon as the dungeons master or will you claim the dungeons item of power? If you claim the dungeons item of power you will destroy this dungeon and it will be as if it never existed. Anything and everyone trapped inside it will be lost forever. Lay claim to this dungeon if you desire and lay claim to untold riches. If you lay claim to this dungeon you will also gain access to its treasury and all of its unauthorized areas as you will be it’s master.

Mister Bill likes this.