Eagerly Awaiting Book 9 [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Legend-Dairy-Reader

Legend-Dairy-Reader Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    While I enjoy the land significantly more than God’s Eye, I think GE2 will be more enjoyable based on where both stories left off. This is where I see both going:

The Land: Book 9 will likely be a tale of Richter making new allies, going new places, and completing his ogre wand quest. I have a sinking feeling that it will end with Richter being teleported back to the Mist Village and dropping some cheesy one-liner like “I’m back bitches” or “Daddy’s home”. Book 10 is where I think the content I want out of the Land Series will come from such as the Mist Village administration, new magic core building, dungeon growth, any interaction with book 1-7 characters, etc. Given his current release schedule (roughly 1 book per year) and the new potential series he’s releasing, I doubt book 10 comes out until 2024.

Now let’s look at God’s Eye 2, we left off on a shorter world building book. It was basically an extended prologue (“so you’re probably wondering how I got myself into this situation” meme). It was book Zero (pun intended). The meat and the juice that brings that world to life will immediately follow as we begin to understand the kingdom building concepts such as, the tenday sea of souls, the alters functions, great spirit summoning, the grails bloodlines consumption, conquering another deity’s followers, the lattice worlds, etc. That is the part of the story I’m most interested in.

To summarize, I am looking forward to God’s Eye 2 more than book 9, not because I like the series more, but because I believe it will capture the type of content I want to see, not the extended side quest of book 7.5.5 (book 8 was 7.5 and book 9 I think will make book 7.5.5).

2. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There is a long running chat connected directly to Aleron's facebook setup. I'm all but certain a bunch of the guys are active over there as well - people have patterns that you can kinda recognize. I'm also certain some people are aware of my real life handle from over there :)

I'm sure someone can add you if you want to join the chat.

3. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I mean the current lineup is:

Book 9 in first series - maybe 2021
    Book 2 in second series - some time 2022, if things go real slow 2023
    Book 1 in third series - possibly 2022, more likely 2023
    Book 10 in first series - likely 2023, possibly 2024

At the current time I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for book 10. Unless Aleron picks up some steam its a couple years away.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  4. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Gross. Too long!

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  5. AndyJ

AndyJ Level 12 (Rogue) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If I had a nickel....

Mister Bill likes this.
  6. bnaz

bnaz Level 7 (Cutpurse) Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I finally found this place!!!!! Also I am worried that AK is going to start losing popularity with how long it is taking him to write. He used to churn out books every 6 months. Now it’s 1.5 years. Part of his success was his speed. I am sure the books get harder to write the deeper the story gets, but still. I am frustrated with the lack of books.

7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Welcome :)

8. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We are often our own worst enemy. I can see how people get high off of their fandom. I understand how that could be addictive. The problem for me is when you claim you are having a questions and answers session and it’s not. I find the “you the man” sessions sad. I didn’t attend to receive a shout out. Also why would you give out release dates that you are not capable of making. When you interact a lot with your audience and you keep breaking your promises and letting them down by not answering a question your just hurting yourself. I love the series this and I’m hooked. I really don’t care about the other multiple projects he is working on. I do care about the land series. So many doors have been open that I really want to see those quest full filled. I really do have questions about the series like many other people that I would like to see answered. I hate to see other projects hindering his big story. I also hate to see the love for an a-cult following hinder his work as well. I understand that drumming up you readers helps sell books along with tee shirt giveaways but at a point that entanglement can’t hurt you as well.

Mister Bill likes this.
  9. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A big part of the reason that he released so many books so fast initially is,
    A) They were much shorter.
    B) He had already written several of them and just delayed publishing them, so he had a bit of a backlog while he was writing new books.
    C) He was very stressed due to his work and writing relieved that stress so he wrote a lot due to the stress.
    D) He only had one series out and hadn't yet started on any others.
    E) He had less of a personal (nonwork & nonwriting) life, he's getting out and enjoying himself more.

Plus there were several big family & personal issues that occurred, but more Complex stories and more varied businesses to handle, ect.

10. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So what you are saying is he needs to go back to work!

Mister Bill likes this.
  11. bnaz

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’m not one to begrudge an author his process. Life happens and things take time. But there is a limit. We aren’t at GRRM level delays or rothfuss or anything. But over time the passion and number of fans will start to dwindle. And if that happens maybe he goes back to being a doctor. Then we get no books. Everything hangs in the balance. We need those books STAT!

12. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He might go back to being a Doctor or He might try to write faster if his crowd dwindles down. Then again he still has people paying in each month looking for a Peep! It might take the Peepers stopping their checks to make a difference. Honestly Aleron has to be pretty smart in order to get all the people he has following him, paying him, hope-full that he will throw them another little bone.

13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't think his 493 patreons are that big of a cash cow? He has 500, which in my experience means he earns a few thousand dollars a month. Probably less than 4000.

No idea how much merch he sells, but that might be worth more?

Comic seems to be a monthly affair, but i'd want way more content before I offer up 10 dollars.

14. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Or he might double down and continue to say they’re all haters and bask in his rabid fanbase’s love.

Drasius likes this.
  15. AndyJ

AndyJ Level 12 (Rogue) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Supposedly most of that goes to charity.

His books are super overpriced so he probably makes quite a bit off that on new releases.

Belgared and Andrew Lynas like this.
  16. bnaz

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would assume he is making good money. His books are among the most popular of any self published books on Amazon. Medical doctors make a lot of money. In order to walk away from that, I would assume he would need to be making comparable money.

17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Perhaps. A lot of indie authors make less than they would at a regular job, even adding in Patreon.

Artists are usually not that wealthy.

18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lol

19. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I believe anyone who thinks that Aileron isn’t making good money should rethink the situation. As you stated his books are very popular. As a self published author he would be making a bigger piece of the pie. I don’t know where Drag got his numbers from but I will trust his figures. Accordingly he also has a fan base as Drag says that’s paying around $4,000 a month. Then he has all of his other items he sells MV coins, keychains, and or Tee Shirts. So either he is making enough money that he decided being a Dr wasn't worth it any more or he decided to become a poor writer not making anything as some might believe.

Don’t get me wrong. I hope Aleron makes so much money that he doesn’t ever need to work again. I’m not jealous of anyone making money. I am also a firm believer that he earned his money.

My point above is that hungry people will often work harder unless they are given food to sustain them.

Belgared and Mister Bill like this.
  20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lol Drag