Eagerly Awaiting Book 9 [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What harem? Richter is just a promiscuous gangbanger. None of those people have significant legal, personal or financial ties to him beyond those of any other villager. They are not in a relationship. ;)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Johan likes this.
  2. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    She'll Def be part of the caravan. But as a high elf I'm thinking she'll be less likely to share the bed. Her way or the highway. I don't like the pun either, but I'm leaving it.

Book 4
    He stopped talking because she laughed at his babbling. “You humans and your conservative views. I am not some stuffy high elf spinster to deny myself the passion I deserve. Do not feel bad about enjoying me and having to leave.” She gathered her dress and slipped it on over her head. Then she walked up to him, grabbed the back of his head, and kissed him soundly. “After all, I’m the one who used you.” She let him go and started walking away. Seeing the cockiness of her stride, Richter realized it would be more accurate to say she sauntered away.

Lianna is high elf spinster

3. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm thinking that they(she) is more likely to end up being in need of rescuing from Law Indentureship then being able to escape on there own. But could be wrong.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  4. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    1) It diden't really seem like they were being controlled all that tightly. They couldn't leave the city and moving outside the nonhuman quarter was a bad idea(not necesarily due to the government, we know racism is on the rise in the kingdom.), but they retained freedom of movement within city borders.

2) Mama would have the contacts she needs to get them out of the city, knowledge of who to approach and who would turn on them. Sympathetic guardsmen and nobles that are willing to turn a blind eye as they pass by, maybe even a few managers that want the nonhumans in their charge to have a better life and won't sound the alarm before days later.

5. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In the last fight Richtær cast: Blood Mana spell, the Tame spell, and Puppet spell. Is he mostly safe now behind his tier 2 mind mental defenses? It seems so. True he didn't huff 2 doses of blood krystal, but that is fairly impressive. It looks like deeper magic will be used frequently in the future. Though the backlash could be worse than usual if a spell fails.

It is still a good thing the armour didn't take his necklace with it. I wouldn't put Richtær up against a blood coven yet.

6. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well he has advanced his mental defences significantly, and the blood spells he uses are fairly lowlevel, below level 10. Stronger blood magic should have more of an effect.

7. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A book 1 update that I wanted to bring to light.
    1. MV was a hidden village
    2. Richtær can claim more than one village, but apparently not another place of power.

Congratulations! You have cleansed a Hidden Village. As owner of the Heart Crystal and because there are no living descendants to the previous owners, you may now lay claim. Would you like to claim the village? Yes or No?

Congratulations! You have claimed your first village. You are now Master of the Mist Village. Your village is Level 1. As you increase the level of the village, more powers and resources will become available. This village is built upon a Place of Power. As you possess the prerequisite affinities, you are now bonded to this convergence of ley lines. You now have access to the magic and mana associated with this particular Place of Power. There are many secrets to any location of Power, and you must apply yourself to discover and master them. Good luck!

8. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Richtær had no need to go to law and get people to build the village. He could have gotten all the people he needed from the sprites and other nearby settlements. Would have changed the story completely, but he still no need. He could have started with a bunch of sprite planners and wood shapers. Probably would have been a vassal, but that's okay.

Cire122 likes this.
  9. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Richter probably wanted to visit the biggest kingdom around as well as recruit some people, Yves is for all its flaws something that everyone in the surrounding regions needs to reckon with as well as a bastion of civilisation. Its also a great place to get supplies that are not available in the forest of Nadria as far as we know.

10. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

tree with full green leaves and birds flying around it (earth?)darkened sky, the tree draped in shadow (dark)tree bending under a strong wind (air)
    new, green offshoot had sprung up (life)-rain storm and the tree had been struck by lightning (water)
    sun rising over the horizon (light)tree had burned down and only ash remained (death)Tree was on fire (fire)

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca8...3jaw-e258416d-b980-4656-a6ad-1ef33adc21f1.gif

Shadow Of The Colossus Paris Games Week 2017 GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Forums Swaying GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Tree Growth GIF by Trevor Anderson - Find & Share on GIPHY

-

Palm Trees Storm GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

forest GIF on GIFER
    t
    Smoke Morning GIF by Living Stills - Find & Share on GIPHY

Palm Tree Fire GIF by Dillon Francis - Find & Share on GIPHY
    Hrrm. Didn't work. Does anyone have a good mandala of the eight magics?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  11. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I disagree. Even if you set aside the fact that Richter needed to trade for supplies that were not available outside of a large city, Richter could not have recruited from sprites and minor settlements. Why would sprites want to leave the Hearth Tree to start a new village under a human leader they barely know? There is no motivation for them. And even if Richter could have located some of the minor settlements in the area like the Kinder, they would have opted to stay in their own village. Even now, with a proper village established and with multiple awesome features like the Quickening, crystal garden, dungeon, and core buildings; all of Richter's villagers are refugees rather than basic immigrants (with the exception of the meidon sprites).

Even if Richter had simply chosen the Twins to visit instead of Yves, he would likely have not received anywhere near the number of new villagers and would have been far less likely to recruit talented individuals. What made the difference was the political turmoil and persecution present in Law to the point that people were just looking for a way out.

At this point though Richter could really step up village recruitment if he so desired. He could send a few trusted villagers to visit The Twins and spread word of a village offering a fresh start and having access to incredible resources, and where the master freely awakened magic in his subjects. Or he could take a trip to the Hearth Tree with Scion and after giving a rousing speech about the unification of the sprites and the rebirth of pixies, could have dozens if not hundreds of hopefuls. If Krom's second cousin mentions the FoH to even one dwarf while on their diplomatic mission, there will be several wagon fulls of dwarven smiths pounding down Richter's door wanting to join up.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  12. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    1. I disagree. Even if you set aside the fact that Richter needed to trade for supplies that were not available outside of a large city,
      1. He was going to trade the stuff for gold, that the sprites don't use, so no need for gold.
      2. He didn't even try to trade at the HT, he just assumed.
      3. What did he get at a large city that the sprites could not have provided? They have works, they have knowledge, they have advanced goods, they have professionals. Just because they are in the woods, doesnt mean they are not a large settlement.
    2. Richter could not have recruited from sprites and minor settlements. Why would sprites want to leave the Hearth Tree to start a new village under a human leader they barely know? There is no motivation for them.
      1. Any word from HM would have sent them to the Richter
      2. It would be a release valve for the sprites settlement
      3. The HM would expand her peoples influence by having it be a sprite PoP.
      4. Building a new community and starting into the unknown is always a draw.
      5. A new Magic Core was being planted
      6. A royal pixie was being brought back to the land
      7. Their other half of their soul might have been borne from the magic tree
    3. And even if Richter could have located some of the minor settlements in the area like the Kinder, they would have opted to stay in their own village. Even now, with a proper village established and with multiple awesome features like the Quickening, crystal garden, dungeon, and core buildings; all of Richter's villagers are refugees rather than basic immigrants (with the exception of the meidon sprites).
      1. Richter has yet to offer settlement for the Kinder, which is the only example.
      2. Richter has immigrated Sumiko before she was a meidon, as well as the meidon sprites.
      3. After obtaining a bunch of refugees/hirees there is now no need to actively recruit from nearby settlements
    4. Even if Richter had simply chosen the Twins to visit instead of Yves, he would likely have not received anywhere near the number of new villagers and would have been far less likely to recruit talented individuals. What made the difference was the political turmoil and persecution present in Law to the point that people were just looking for a way out.
      1. The professionals are at the HT. It is a fully developed settlement.
      2. A closer relationship would have those professionals help build the MV with the advanced guidance of an ally that wishes to have a friendly neighbour prosper.

It would be in the best interest of the HM to guide this blank slake known at Richter. Guide it with some of the values of the sprites and their connection to the forest. The HT has seen many leaders of the MV, and this would be an opportunity to if not gain a vassal, then obtain another PoP closely connected with her own. Chop down trees for buildings? for some maybe, the have a professional builder; for others no, they only need to send their wood shapers to grow houses. Manual labour drudgery the sprites would not want to do? Mist Workers. Bug Bears and Goblins advancing into the forest, grow another fortification/settlement that can help with the war. He could have traveled to Law for what help he needed (while the sprites watch the village) after the village is grown under the combined efforts of a Chaos Seed and the Hearth Tree.

13. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    1. I think to some extent it was more about selling items the HM wouldn't have wanted, as well as recruiting for his village. I assume Richter believed recruiting from the sprites would not have worked in his favor. And we can't say that he just assumed, he likely consulted Scion, and we just didn't see it.
    2. I think you are overestimating how willing the HM was to aid Richter during book 1. It may be true however that she would have been willing to set him up as a puppet leader of the mist village. In that case she would have provided villagers, professionals, and supplies, but with a much more controlling relationship, possibly with Richter as a formal vassal.
    3. You are right Sumiko joined the village, she is also bonded a pixie. My statement still stands that the only members of the MV that are not refugees are meidon sprites. And just because 1 sprite willingly joined his village doesn't mean enough of them would have to found the village. Also, there is still reason for Richter to recruit. His village still has a lot of growing to do. It should eventually become a capital city, more people will be needed for a long time to come.
    4. Yes there are professionals at the HT, but it takes until book 6 before Richter is able to negotiate a deal for a handful of them to come to the MV to help, and that is only on a temporary basis.

I think in the next book or two we are going to see even more population growth of the MV. There will likely be some sprites who want to live where the pixies are. Mama is bring a caravan of refugees. We may see dwarves from the mountain return with Basil. There may be orcs visiting or joining. We could see some bugbear captives freed. Even Abbas might take initiative to recruit a few professionals. And finally the dungeon will begin attracting adventurers, over land or through the labyrinth, some of whom may bow the knee and become official members of the new village with a super cool dungeon and a level 6 Call of Adventure tenant.

14. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    1. I doubt he consulted Sion, he usually just goes off and assumes stuff. He probably could not have sold he stuff to them for gold, but he could have traded. He was worked off of game logic at the time. I have a bunch of stuff of the dead I took, I need to go sell the crap swords and armour. He was given ponys which were worth much more than the crap he had. Really he just assumed without asking questions like he always does and went to his own race after being warned they are Terrible people.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  15. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You may be right. But do you really think the sprites would be interested in trading for that goblin junk?

16. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    it was junk (1 gold, couple silver), only goblins would want except for the axe and wands. It was junk and he was working off irrelevant gamer logic, wheras he didn't need to sell it off. If he stopped and thought about it, he would realize that he was given items worth an incredible amount from the HM. When the HM was asking if there is anything he needs, and she warned them of humans and gave them ponies, he could have asked if they would trade for the items or if there were people from the large settlement that could help build his village. But no he didn't ask, because he hates being a "thirsty question bitch". She asked if there was anything else, just wanting him to ask, but no he didn't. His mind was muddled by his chaotic aura (author) to progress the story in a certain way.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  17. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Goblis very unlikellly , Kobolds just unlikelly that could work if u had some resources that might be valuable..

Still when well get new book about the Labyrinth,. should be withing few days from now? or few weeks :D

18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well that is his character setup, prideful foold walking five times around the lake to get water. It did serve to keep him independent of the HT in name, though I imagine a lot of people would consider him a defacto vassal. A minor faction so tightly bound to a larger one that the official name of their relationship matters very little (at least at the moment).

That said there are four reasons I would have travelled to Yves as Richter did.
    1) Access to a larger manpool, both professed and basic labor. The HM was quite clear about Yves being a large kingdoms, and large kingdoms naturally have a number of dissatisfied people willing to move far away. Tapping the population of the HT wouldn't increase the total population at their disposal (I think there are less than a million sprites, probably less than 100.000. 20-30.000 is my guess as an upper bound).

2)Access to a larger market. The sprites produce a lot of things and they trade some, but ultimately they are highly territorial isolationists with communist leanings (by which I mean primitive communism). Which means their markets have few nonsprite goods, and what wares they do have are likely to be available in the future as well. The same is not true for the markets in Yves, especially not in the capital Law. That's where you'd find unique goods from far off corners of the peninsula.

3) Politics. Getting an idea on what is happening in the largest kingdom bordering the forest, a border that is free of the obstacles to the north, i worthwhile in its own right. Especially as Richter did in fact gain critical understanding of events.

4) Time and opportunity. At the time Richter had no obligations. This meant he was free to travel whereever he wanted without consequence. Once the village was settled that became complicated.

19. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Plus if he didn't go to to Law he wouldn't have found the Seed Core (hence no Quickening Tree and no Celestial Pixies (or most likely any Pixies at the MV)), no Soul Familiar Summoning Book (so no Alma), no Anti-Scrying Necklace, no Bag of Holding (which has been critical for his survival in many instances) and no Companion Bond with Terrod.
    Also he wouldn't have Learnt those Magic Spells (at least not nearly as early), and no money making and equipment supplying Deals with the White Pearl Trading House, and no Randolphus to run things.
    Also he wouldn't have gotten nearly as many Settlers.

20. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This is a key point. A major draw for Sumico or any other sprite to join the village was is and will be the presence of the quickening and the pixies.