Economy & resources

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by S'ahelas, Nov 6, 2020.

1. S'ahelas

S'ahelas Level 7 (Cutpurse) Exiles Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I finished my reread. I’ve wondered throughout about the scarcity of items and knowledge. I don’t have a clear idea of how rare some things are. The prevalence of powerful items and enchantments is about the same as weak items and enchantments, and this is messing up my scale. For example, there has been about the same number of health rings of 30+ as in the 5-10 range, even tho one is cheaper and easier to make. For that matter I’ve been surprised at the low numbers especially of the weak rings. Any lazy enchanter could be able to make at least 100 a year, and say even lowballing it at 10 people with the expertise exist in an area that’s still 1000 produced a year. After ten years thats 10000 and a hundred years 100,000 rings. But where are the rings? Similarly, we have seen a great variety of enchantments but none are any more common than others, which flies in the face of enchanting rules. If an enchanter only knows three enchantments they would be producing lots of swords with that particular enchantment, and thus while maybe it’s rare enough that only ten percent of an armed force has them, most of the people in a particular geographic area would all have the same enchantment type. But we haven’t seen this.

there’s other questions too. It seems like a small power advantage increases someone’s ability to gain power tremendously, sorta like how very wealthy people have more options to make lots of money then poor people. This leads to some very powerful people who can dungeon dive and adventure and a lot of weak people and not many in the middle. We have sorta seen this, but I’m wondering if there are power plateaus, thresholds if you will, and the prevalence of beings in each power level.

Additionally I’m wondering where the very very powerful items and people are.

I realize these are sorta open ended questions, we don’t have enough info, but I am curious on your thoughts on this.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  2. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

52%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's distinctly possible that Rarity of Items, Knowledge and Enchantments would vary depending where in The Land you might be.

3. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

21%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's more than possible. Regardless of the distribution, there is a distinct distribution of such things, such that banks and core buildings like the cauldron can say whether or not it is a scarce/ rare etc. resource. Obviously these vary slightly with new products, growth, research etc. but generally speaking this should only affect the area considerations for their commonality. A common resource isn't (in the vast majority of cases) going to directly border a land where the resource is considered legendary. With a dedicated enough crafter or herbalist guild you might even be able to bump something from one rarity rank to another, which ought to have interesting effects in its own right. There's gotta be some sort of reward for that.

4. Dragon

Dragon Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The number of magical rings (and any other enchanted item) would depend on a number of factors such as

1) Crystal production vs Crystal consumption. Aka how much crystal is available for ring enchantment.
    1.1) How much crystal is expended per ring?

2) // nothing :)

3) Number of enchanters available for this and other enchantment tasks.
    3.1) How active are those enchanters?
    3.2) What is the racial spread, given that races have different affinities? There could be hundreds of high elf enchanters, but because they are racist or maybe because they are terrified of humans/ goblins/ orcs/ (insert another fastbreeding or evil race) that might antagonize them, they refuse to sell enchanted objects of any kind.

4) How long does the rings/ other enchanted objects last?
    4.1) Do lower-tiered magical objects break faster? If so that could explain why many objects are higher tiered.

5) Cost vs profit per ring. Is it worth it?

Thus far it seems to me that crystal production is fairly low making the expense of crystal per ring considerable for the enchanters in question. Furthermore enchanters are rare, and many are likely somewhat wealthy meaning they don't have to crank out enchantments if they don't want to. The races with a naturally high number of the magically inclined such as sprites and elves also live in terror of the humans of Yves as well as other expansionist or aggressive factions. Their biggest advantages in future wars is their magic as well as the long lives they have to build up skills, expertise and level.

I'm not sure on the last two to be honest. In a place like Law there could be a lot of magical rings in circulation amongst adventurers, mercenaries and soldiers.

Final thought.
    Richter is in the ass-end of nowhere, the goblin trash and impoverished kobolds do not necesarily set the standard for gear, but its most of what Richter has acquired. The bugbears, the trolls (every troll had enchanted armor and weaponry if I remember it right) and the sprites seem to have plenty of enchanted items to go around( the sprites even gave Richter a full set of enchanted items).

S'ahelas likes this.
  5. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Citizen

99%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You have me wondering since health regeneration spells do damage to dead if someone was turned that was wearing a heath ring would it automatically start dealing damage?

I think the same thing. Aleron has done a good job telling a story. I do believe that this could become problematic. Aleron needs to keep his building Ricther up but the faster he builds him up the higher his contingents must Powers need to be built up. Eventually Ricther will be fighting Demi gods and demons. Or he will be totally supreme and over powering everyone.

6. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He has been set up to do something along those lines already. Plague squad, quest- right an ancient wrong, partial artifact map, etc. i do like the fact that richter lost all his gear for book 8, inspite of my dislike for parts that are far too long for there value for that book, it has some good things in it. Richter was far too reliant on his equipment in the previous books. Maybe without his toys he can finally get some needed skill levels.

7. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Citizen

99%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Alerons has made Ricther the 15 year old kid that owns his own candy store, pizza joint, his own bootleg beer store, arcade, and whore house. I’m interested to see how he keeps the pace.needing greater and greater monsters and enemies will be hard eventually at his rate now. Plus the rewards and bonuses coming with new stuff might get tuff and the same ole will just get to be the same ole old stuff.

8. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well that's a flaw most litrpg's fall to. Instead of using the "lesser" enemies they have they add bigger and bigger ones until there is no sense of scale.

A level 25 goblin shaman spamming stun spells isn't much of a threat on his own due to Richter's mobility and resistances, but back him up with a couple dozen fighters and suddenly Richter is one spell away from having a dagger rammed into an eye socket while helpless on the ground. The right encounter setup could counter Richter's greater power.

But to be honest, the real cure to the issue is to take away Alma's exp steal ability or alternatively make exp less valuable. As Aleron has done by making ranking up Richter's evolution dependant on chaos points.

9. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Actually it is ranking up chaos lord that is dependent on chaos points. Reaching a 3rd tier evolution will likely require a much higher level. There is the caveat that he reach rank 5 in chaos lord before he can ascend again though.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  10. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Chaos lord is Richter's evolution. That's what I meant to say.

Whille its possible to evolve at a lower rank, that is usually a bad idea in all fictions. Of course if you have no hope of advancing further or need the power badly enough, evolving early can be a good choice.

11. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

21%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Evolving or ascending?