Elite- Style LitRPG?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by teh602, Aug 31, 2017.

1. teh602

teh602 Level 9 (Burgler) LitRPG Author Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Elite, as in the video game. Also Oolite the open source clone, and the Escape Velocity series for us Mac heads (which are by themselves almost enough to reinstall OS 9 since the first two require either 9 or Classic Mode). Also possibly EVEOnline, which I'm told ripped off the plot of EV Nova. Has anyone messed with this kind of LitRPG?

If anyone has, how'd it turn out?

For those of us not familiar with the genre, they're games where you have a small cargo shuttle and a few credits, and are dropped in a galaxy- sized sandbox (sometimes bigger than one galaxy in the original games- Elite could generate something like eight of them at a go).

Matthew James and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Perimeter defense, great books read them. The problem with this is its basicaly scifi with a few tweaks it works but winds up just reading like your average SciFi I would love someone to write a more outlandish SciFi LitRPG but im not sure what you can do in that regard

3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'll probably dip into Sci-Fi more with floor 3 or 4 of the Tower of Gates. Floor two is going to be RTS, starting from the stone age and going to singularity.

4. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I really want to see how that turns out im waiting for a RTS LitRPG given its probably my favorite genre other then sandbox/survival

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've played a TON of RTS over the years, so I'm looking forward to it...putting in all the foundation work NOW for a 12 book series.

It'll be difficult in some ways but very cool and fun in others. I might do a standalone on that level (RTS standalone) to test the waters first. We shall see.

6. teh602

teh602 Level 9 (Burgler) LitRPG Author Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, having a total sandbox doesn't make for a good plot. Neither does commodities jockeying, or any of the "nonstandard game over" conditions that Elite could bring- for example, getting trapped in witchspace by the bugs or going to that one system that's too far from anything for a normal hyperspace jump out, but has a tech level too low to sell you a "galactic jump."

They also don't have much in the way of "out of ship" interaction, so that would require a bit of expansion.

7. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Squadcom-13 is spaceship litRPG. There's also the Rune Universe novels too, those are pretty good.

For FPS, try the World At War series and the standalone novel Side Quest.

8. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  9. Matthew Sylvester

Matthew Sylvester Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks Paul, Call of Duty meets Ready Player One is what I believe one reviewer called them :p

Paul Bellow likes this.