Epilogue - tragic end for the orcs

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Dragon, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Dragon

Dragon Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In book 8's epilogue, we get the following line from Richter's perspective.

How should this be interpreted?

2. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Likely that it doesn't go his way, but we don't really know what that means yet. They could attack him since he's lobbing around blood magic. They could just tell him to bugger off and that they want nothing to do with him. If there is a chaos seed among them Richter might turn them against the rest of the group (chaos vassal but the rest of the orcs are against it enough to attack) which could be considered a minor loss in terms of his phrasing.

3. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Did Ricther use blood harvest on the dead and dying Orcs?

Johan likes this.
  4. ShoughtLoud

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He used blood mana, and yeah I think some of the dead orcs were hit in the radius

5. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’m not so sure some of the nearly dead Orcs weren’t hit by it. Seems like they would be a loss as he might have been able to heal them if he had time. The other Orcs were overwhelmed with the onslaught of worms attacking them. They wouldn’t have noticed Ricther draining the critically wounded Orcs with his blood mana spell. The fifth set of eyes could have seen it. Which I would bet was the chaos seed that had been chased or traveling with the Orc war party.

Saving the last of the Orcs or the Chaos seed would have been worth it. That is the draining of the wounded and dead would have been worth saving those few. Ricther needs some friends pretty badly.

6. Zinga

Zinga Level 4 (Warrior) Exiles Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hmmm, so do yall think that time will have passed between books? So far, each book picked up EXACTLY where the previous one left off.

But if something is being hinted at that we didn't witness then that would be a break from his previous patern.

7. ShoughtLoud

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good question. I think book 9 will still pick up with Richter's question though. The epilogue(s) of future books might be how he plans on showing additional village time /progress while he's underground, giving a sneaky peak at things like him randomly getting brain drain XP or companion quest completions, which we otherwise would have been frowning about.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  8. Zinga

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good point

9. Dragon

Dragon Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think Aleron is being deliberately vague about happenings in the village because he plans to tell that story at some point. Hence we only get a couple cameos that don't tell us anything about what they are doing. Even the Alma cameo ultimately told us very little about village developments.

10. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    After thinking about it Ricther might not be back before the bugbears attack. He could very easily miss the engagement. I suppose it will come down to how many days Aleron has the village scouted and how many days it takes Ricther to achieve his mission to get home.

That would make for a very interesting story. If he does do that I hope the story is split into 5 or 6 points of view. Scion, Krom, Randy, Sumiko, Alma, Yoshi, and the Hearth Mother could all rotate through telling their part of the story.

Albatross1873 and Zinga like this.
  11. Zinga

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hmm, that would be really interesting.