Fairy circle

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Mister Bill, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What do you think the effects of the fairy circle will be when he pours it out in the dungeon?

Obviously it’ll be connected to a realm and maybe some beings will creep through occasionally. And the ambient mana will increase. I assume that the dungeon will benefit from that and release it into the surrounding area.

Will more stuff spawn in the dungeon? More magics become available? Elementum become more common?

Drasius and Johan like this.
  2. S'ahelas

S'ahelas Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't play d&d; I unfortunately don't have people to play it with and thus I don't know much about the realm of the fae. However, I would think the fairy circle would be most important as a matter of state: alliances, resource access, or even enemies. The benefits to the dungeon (if it actually is placed in the dungeon) are collateral, like higher ambient manna. Although if the dungeon could eventually use fae magic that could be a serious consequence.

Drasius, Johan and Mister Bill like this.
  3. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’m assuming it’ll definitely be placed in the dungeon because if anything slips out it’ll have to fight the monsters in there.

A Room based around it could be really interesting (and possibly deadly). Lots of possibilities.

The dungeon using fae magic could be dangerous but, uh, so are blood and chaos magic, haha. I do wonder if the fae would be interested in adventuring in the dungeon and labyrinth, though. Maybe they don’t regularly get access to it.

Drasius likes this.
  4. Sleepyhe4d

Sleepyhe4d Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I t
    I’m thinking about the old Irish fairies.
    I rly hope that something unexpected happens. Something like: „The fairy realm reacts with the dungeon. The bloodstone itself is considered a mortal enemy. Enemy attacks will be fierce!”

Kidding :D For real now. I hope that it’s something peaceful that won’t push him into another direction, something that just is there and helps him like the quickening. Not another random “do it or die condition”.

Mister Bill likes this.
  5. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

A summoning room to help with the fae summoning circle? Could help. Might provide someway of control over the circle of mushrooms. Maybe make a mushroom growing room? Proving some magical help to force the magick mushrooms to keep reproducing beyond its magical purpose. Then harvest them for food :D.

Lots of time the summoning room will have circles of protection for anything that comes through, in this instance the fae creatures and people.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Mister Bill likes this.
  6. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Would be really interesting if there was a fairy realm crusade against the dungeon. Makes one wonder which level he should put it on. I think there are arguments for any of the possible levels.

And, yeah, would be good if it didn’t immediately drag him away to a new adventure. But that’s not how Richter rolls! Haha.

Drasius likes this.
  7. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good ideas here, for sure. I think he should just make a room (possibly safe, possibly not) and let the circle define it. Probably no need to make it summoning or what have you.

I do like the idea of planting random stuff in there (like maybe metal) to see if it changes with the new mana coming out.

Johan likes this.
  8. Sleepyhe4d

Sleepyhe4d Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Question: Don’t the pixies get considered as fae? Could the portal help them?

I like that idea but I’m pretty sure that “iron” was a threat or at least a weakness for fae in the old Irish tales. Not sure about D&D. Since richter alrdy upgraded his mines it might be a save call to just use some herbs or just other things.

Wouldn’t it be smart to make a room like a garden or something? Wouldn’t that help the shrooms to grow (in power). Also the room could provide food for the town and special herbs for the dungeon. For example shrooms are often poisonous right, that could help the dungeon as well to grow in power.

Mister Bill likes this.
  9. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hrrm a good point.

It needs to be segregated from portal access/traffic. So another room with protection and separation should be used. But ya throw some herbs in there. Actually what could be done is put the portal in a garden room and then put a mini node out of that room into a observation room so it can be spoken to and observed safely.

Mister Bill likes this.
  10. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If there is a standing stones room, like the fae portal stones just to the north of the town, that would be for the best. It wouldn't necessarily provide protection against whatever comes from the portal, but would probably increase magic flow rate.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Joe Schmoe likes this.
  11. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good point on the metal. Herbs might be smart. Same for the garden room idea. And the fae might like the plants more and introduce some of their own.
    I don’t know about the pixies being fae or not. In other stories they are but they only might be here. Do their songs introduce fae effects?
    I like the poisonous shrooms thing, too. Smart if it helps the dungeon.

12. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I wouldn’t want it right off of the main room on the first floor. Especially when it opens and hordes of horrible beasties flood out and kill off low leveled adventurers.

13. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oooh, reminds me of something: have a node in there or not? I could see arguments going both ways for that.

14. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Only if access to the node is restricted.

Mister Bill likes this.
  15. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If we want to do something somewhat crazy,... you know the center of the octuplet helix? The one in the middle of The Quickening? Pour it in there :p.

Second crazy is pour it in the bowl of the Dragons Cauldron. If it says that it is a natural substance and can't copy it, then take a bit out for the Dungeon's well of offering, and use the Cauldron ability to return fluid back to a vial and then pour the rest in the Dungeon.

Drasius and Mister Bill like this.
  16. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That could be hilarious though, Fae invasions. Maybe from a dungeon in the fae world?

Mister Bill likes this.
  17. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    High chance of having Fey Beasts and Animals (Blink Dogs, Fairy Dragon(ling)s, ect) entering via the Circle into the Dungeon and then being killed and Absorbed by the Dungeon and then becoming new Dungeon Beasts.

Drasius and Mister Bill like this.
  18. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good point! I didn’t think of that. You’d absolutely want that.

Drasius likes this.
  19. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A fae quickening would be insane. And probably highly unstable and looking out for itself, not the good of all neutral/good creatures.

And, if parts can be used elsewhere (like 1 dose out of 4 or something), then definitely pour a little into the cauldron and pour some into the well and then pour the rest into a room and create the circle. If it’s too risky then just pour it all into a room, IMO.

Drasius likes this.
  20. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Absolutely. And those could add a ton to the dungeon, especially if they trick incoming monsters and adventurers from the labyrinth.

Drasius likes this.