Fan, Editor and hopefully Author(one day...)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Level-100-Fan, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Level-100-Fan

Level-100-Fan Level 6 (Footpad) Citizen Aspiring Writer

75%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As the title and my nickname state I am huge fan of this genre of books and I've decided to try and turn my passion into a bit of a job. Bear with me now...
    I know this is going to sound completely random and odd to put here, but recently I've realized my current job, which is to write and edit for a paper in my home country, is making me feel so wrung out, due to the banality of it all. I've decided to give this a go, for the sake of my own mental health.
    That's why I'd like to see if there's any interest for a freelance editor with extremely low prices. I'd edit and provide proofreading for a small fee to help me get by, mostly for the pleasure of it. So do message me if this feels right for you.
    Otherwise, whatever happens, please don't think me some liar who is trying to worm his way in here and make a buck. I'd genuinely be happy and able to discuss a plethora of litRPGs endlessly, from griping about endings (looking at you Perimeter Defense) to lamenting that there isn't about 60 books more to read (hello Awaken Online, among dozens of others, haha).

Quick edit: I was relying on my email to notify me if people messaged me about this, but it turned out to be wonky about that, informing me of messages here, but not private ones. I will check very regularly and directly from now on, and I apologize for any and all inconvenience this might have caused.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  2. LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa Roboto Artiste LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen

29%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Editing skills are handy. How would they be payed though, on sales of the book? Or some other method?

(I ask partially as I'm unemployed myself.:p)

3. Level-100-Fan

75%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well, I'd honestly be fine with just offering the option of a small advance payment for my work, and then once sales come in, the rest can be given.
    Like I said, doing something I love as a job would inevitably mean I am more lenient in this regard, haha. But, overall, with how I price things, I doubt anyone would have an issue paying right after I complete the work.

LWFlouisa likes this.
  4. LWFlouisa

29%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I say go for it, even if you don't get many bites at first. You will eventually.

Editing is as much an artform as writing the book, I know as I'm curretly almost done editing one, and editing another of my own work.

5. Level-100-Fan

75%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thank you very much, and I agree wholeheartedly. It's something I'd love to do because it'd be creative work close to my ideal of being an author, when time and circumstances permit. I hope your book turns out well, as in reaching a wide audience and leaving a huge (positive) impact.

LWFlouisa likes this.
  6. Simon Fiasco

Simon Fiasco Bringer of the Avocadopocalypse LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Welcome to the boards. I wish you the best of fortune with your editorial ventures!

7. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We can always use another freelancer here, but the Phoenix is your major competition.

Welcome to the boards, and I hope you become ONE OF US! ONE OF US!... em.. excuse me. I don't know what came over me.

DanyaWlasko likes this.
  8. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Welcome!

9. Level-100-Fan

75%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wow, thank you for the well-wishes! Even if this comes to nothing, the fact I found this forum due to it strikes me as a huge upside of everything, haha.

10. Level-100-Fan

75%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am suddenly regretting every life choice.
    Nah, just kidding, I even have a bloody idea on what I'd wanna write as my book. I just need the time and funds xD

11. Level-100-Fan

75%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thank you!
    I feel extremely welcomed and glad to be here, make no mistake there.

12. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yerp. Another competitor - sheesh, where are they all coming from?

Where are you from? If I get an author interested in services that's from your area, I can possibly send them your way if I'm overbooked.

13. Level-100-Fan

75%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Honestly, I like to think I'm a fellow, not competition, haha.
    Also, I'm from Serbia, so honestly, my niche, as I'm finding out, is localizing Russian books that have been translated into English too literally, cause I just know what mistakes were made and why, due to also speaking a Slavic language.
    I'd appreciate any work sent my way, but more so if you'd think of me as a possible friend, over someone you'll have to grumble about in years to come.

LWFlouisa likes this.
  14. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Weirdly, I actually know a Serbian author who could use your help. I’ll send him your way.

15. Level-100-Fan

75%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Much appreciated, thank you kindly.

16. LWFlouisa

29%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How about for English or French to Russian translation?

I eventually plan on writing in both English, French, and maybe Romanian. I'll have to see.

17. Level-100-Fan

75%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ah, sorry, but the languages I know expertly enough to offer editing are only English and Serbian. If something has been translated into either of those, oddly, from the languages you mentioned, then sure.
    I've studied other languages too, enough to notice such patterns and irregularities and why they might occur. But texts in any of them are beyond me.

LWFlouisa likes this.
  18. LWFlouisa

29%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yea I mainly meant English to your language. I'd probably translate my own work from English to French. Ideally without google translate.

Level-100-Fan likes this.
  19. Level-100-Fan

75%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ah, okay, great. I was just making sure.
    I'd be glad to help you with whatever I can.

LWFlouisa likes this.