Favorite web comics

Discussion in 'Comics & Graphic Novels' started by Lars Møller, May 31, 2018.

1. Lars Møller

Lars Møller Level 5 (Veteran) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

67%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I haven't seen any of these threads yet, and feel like that is a gaping hole in my existance - so here we go:

What is your favorite web comic, finished/unfinished?

Finished, I'll go with Freakangels. Awesome, good looking post apoc story with great humor, awesome dialogue and characters that feel real. You are being redirected...

Unfinished: Well, somebody did mention Girl Genius in another thread, so I'm going to cheat and say Goblins.
    Lovely reversion of the standard RPG roles, heavy and funny DnD inspiration and Minmax just rules! :D Goblins - Page 12 2018

Seagrim and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Goblins is a favorite, but I have to go with an old standby, Dominic Deegan, Oracle for Hire.

Lars Møller likes this.
  3. Lars Møller

67%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hmmm - it's been a while (as in maybe 3 years) since I was up to date on that one - does it still update?

4. Gryphon

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It finished ,and Mookie began working on Star Power. In a month or two, their 2000 a month threshold on Patreon will pass, and he will begin an epilogue in the form of a new series.

Lars Møller likes this.
  5. Lars Møller

67%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Damn, it did? Then it's probably way MORE than 3 years since I was up to date - better go check it out! :D

6. Gryphon

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It was an unexpected ending, but it made me happy. The Beast was just so, so powerful.

Lars Møller likes this.
  7. Thomas Davidsmeier

Thomas Davidsmeier Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen

0%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Favorite finished one is Dr. McNinja. It is one of the greatest works of human creativity ever.

Unfinished is a tough one. I'd say my favorite is either Order of the Stick or Gunnerkrigg Court.

Lars Møller likes this.
  8. Lars Møller

67%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dr McNinja is frigging awesome! I guess that means you've read Axe Cop too? Not as good imo, but still hilarious. :)

Order of the Stick is getting good again - I've enjoyed the last couple arcs even though I thought they'd been in a bit of a lull for some years. Gunnerkrigg Court I've never really been able to get into - tried on two occasions though.

9. Thomas Davidsmeier

Thomas Davidsmeier Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen

0%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I haven't actually read Axe Cop. Mostly because I didn't think anything could ever compare to Dr. McNinja. The comic writing is amazing in that work. You shouldn't be able to have that many great jokes running along continuously and tying off so well at the end. It is just unpossible. The Astrogast, the tennis doomsday machine, the gorilla, Paul Bunyan's, the velociraptors, the mustaches, the whole ninja society! Wow, that series is amazing.

Gunnerkrigg is weird in the way that the comic evolves as the characters age. The first few arcs are weirdly simplistic compared to where you get to later on. I mean, it gets very complicated. I don't necessarily support some of the story elements or the shoehorning in of lifestyle choices that are obvious attempts at virtue signaling, but the story overall and the art are both very strong, even with those details that I disapprove of.

Lars Møller likes this.
  10. Lars Møller

67%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

Hah. No, Axe Cop cannot compare to Dr McNinja in all those aspects - not a chance. What it does do, however, (and does it extraordinarily well) is take absurd, over-the-top humor, feed it a waggonload of performance-enhancing drugs and add electricity. It's so blatantly exaggerated, you'll have to see it for yourself.

Sounds like I'll have to give Gunnerkrigg a second chance - It is a quirky world and I tend to like those. :)

11. SpaceTurtle

SpaceTurtle Level 5 (Veteran) Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK Baby
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oglaf. [VERY NSFW]

A comedy webcomic in a fantasy setting. Lots of nudity, sex, and hilarity. It's been consistently great for years.