FOUND forgotten litrpg tittle [No Longer a Game]

Discussion in 'Looking for LitRPG' started by Tatsuya, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Tatsuya

Tatsuya Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I read a book about a VRMMORPG couples years ago about a guy that find a secret quest went up a snowy mountain to train as a lone swordsman or invincible swordsman also met a goddess there, the story about restoring power to a forgotten goddess. there are many gods goddess in the stories that they gain power if players / npc pray to them.
    i properly read it in royalroadl or kindle.
    thanks in advance

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Probably on RRL. Either that or you’re thinking of a couple of different books? There’s one that had a guy climbing a mountain and getting a super secret magic ability from an orb, The Dragon’s Wrath series by Brent Roth. I don’t recall there being any gods in it, though.

There’s the Wolf of the North trilogy, but it isn’t a LitRPG series at all. It also involves climbing a snowy mountain and getting power, but from a god rather than an orb.

Sorry I can’t be of more help. If you read it on Kindle you can go back through your borrowing history (if it was on KU) and see if the name rings a bell?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. FrustratedEgo

FrustratedEgo Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    95% sure this is Dragon's Wrath or what have you.

Edit: It started on RRL, went to Kindle, then the author vanished into a black hole.

Kidlike101 and Paul Bellow like this.
  4. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, and I really enjoyed those books, too. Didn’t realize the third one was published in 2015.

His bio on the amazon author page said he was dealing with a chronic illness, maybe it’s just gotten worse and he’s been unable to write? Even so, there weren’t any gods involved in it, so I don’t think it’s the one. Closer to Wolf of the North, but that isn’t a LitRPG. Just standard epic fantasy.

5. FrustratedEgo

FrustratedEgo Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There's the other wolf series - where the dude is a loner and befriends a wolf familiar who's really a queen AI program or something. End Online I think?

But I leaned toward Dragon's - since he ends up working with a girl who's like the goddess of the mountain or something and is his training partner. If I recall correctly. It's been a bit.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  6. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nah, there’s no training in Dragon’s Wrath.

End Online does have the shapeshifting Wolf queen, yeah. That actually might be the one we’re talking about, come to think of it.

7. FrustratedEgo

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Going to have to dig now...

There was one where a guy goes up a mountain, trains with some old spirit guy who piles on weights and make him swing swords. At some point he gets another trainee sidekick girl who's also suffering. It turns out she's the spirit of the mountain or some nonsense? Like the weakest goddess in the area...I thought that was dragon's whatever as part of the series. I've read so many of these darn things that it's all blending together. Hopefully in a few years I can go back and read them again and it'll all be new.

Tatsuya and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  8. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ha, yeah. That sounds like an interesting book, though.

9. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I remember a LitRPG author died... maybe it was him? :(

10. FrustratedEgo

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Last I saw, no one has any certain knowledge on what happened to the Dragon's author. Brent.

The other one is a finished series to my knowledge. End Online.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  11. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    End Online isn’t finished. The author is taking a break from it to work on another series he started - which pisses me off because of the terrible ways he ends his novels (ironic for a series called “End Online” no?). He just cuts off at 50k words, finishes the sentence he’s working on, and hits publish. It’s even cut off mid-scene in a few books, or mid-conversation! Grrr.

He was alive and writing, according to his blog ( brentroth.info ), as of August 2016 at least. He posted chapter 120(!!) of TDW 4 on August 4, 2016.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  12. FrustratedEgo

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Is that what it was? I got tired of reading End Online because of the small novel size for the price tag. Plus no work went into the additional covers. I try to speak with my wallet.

Anyway, still can't figure out any other series that might fight the original. Maybe a few hints on how it was laid out? The one I'm thinking of was on RRL at one point and had chapter titles like day 1, day 10, day 100, that kind of stuff.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  13. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I read EO because it was available on KU. The author’s forewords really cheesed me off, though. As I recall he specifically mentioned the feedback he was getting about the terrible endings and the price and basically said “nah, just deal with it. I ain’t changing them.”

14. Tatsuya

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    thats the one i'm talking about mate...can't remember the name though, would love to finish it.
    (I read Dragon's Wrath very good story to be unfinished i like it as much as the Gam3 or Veridian Gate Online, and read End online too.... not too bad most of those series included end online is included in kindle unlimited for 9.99/month so it's not too bad.
    and i'm sure as heck that Dragon's Wrath is Litrpg with all that skill/game/stats elements).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Paul Bellow likes this.
  15. Tatsuya

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @FrustratedEgo
    Btw if you'r hoping for something new to read and save on your wallet you can try the Amber Sword on novelupdates.com it's free but it's not finished translating (from chinese) , only a little bit over half mark right now(book 4).
    @CheshirePhoenix
    About amazon history page it doesn't work for me cause i share an amazon prime account with my family of 5 and it's been about 2-3 years ago that i read that book so.....you can tell
    BTW thank you for replies, i appreciate it

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  16. FrustratedEgo

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Amber Sword's first book was pretty good. I started reading the second one and grew annoyed at side characters becoming the focus - I tend to prefer works that follow one character.

As for the RRL novel I'm talking about, I'd have to look. It's fairly old and used to be on their top 50. You can also check the RRL forums, someone might know, or their Discord.

17. Tatsuya

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Tried to search on RRL but didn't have any luck, do you remember anything that can give me a clue like author name or charracter name....something that i can search for?

CheshirePhoenix and Paul Bellow like this.
  18. Tatsuya

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good news and bad news, i found the book it's called No Longer a Game but it's still at book 1 and haven't been updated since 2.5 years ago so i guess the author dropped it

Paul Bellow and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  19. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hate that! Heh.

What do you think of the latest generation of LitRPG?

20. PeterM99

PeterM99 Level 8 (Thug) Citizen

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Who’s the author? I’d like to take a look at it. Two and a half years is nothing. Some fans have been waiting twenty four years for David Gerrold to continue his Chtorr series. Not me, I gave up at least ten years ago. But some fans, the poor bastards.

The best part is, Gerrold promised that he’d finish the next book if Obama got re-elected, then got pissed when people expected him to follow through.

Paul Bellow likes this.