Game of Thrones: HBO orders spinoff prequel pilot

Discussion in 'TV and Movies' started by Paul Bellow, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Game of Thrones could be getting a prequel series, HBO has announced, one of five potential spinoffs of the series.

Book author George RR Martin created the new series alongside British screenwriter Jane Goldman.

HBO has ordered a pilot episode for the show, set thousands of years before the battles over the Iron Throne.

Executives say any spinoff will not be broadcast until after Game of Thrones' final season in 2019.

If picked up, the prequel will chronicle "the world's descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour", HBO said in a statement.

"From the horrifying secrets of Westeros' history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East, to the Starks of legend… it's not the story we think we know."

Game of Thrones prequel announced

Jay and Jun like this.
  2. Jun

Jun Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Citizen

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Super. I look forward to it.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And the prequel series will likely be finished before GRRM writes the next ASOIAF novel.

4. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [​IMG]

Can't even argue. I think at this point, it's probably actually done but GRRM just likes waiting another year every time someone asks "is it done yet?":p

Jun and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  5. Jun

Jun Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Citizen

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    HBO did a better job of keeping the stories on track anyway. I always want to love the GoT books but more often than not they end up being the sort I keep stopping and coming back to.

Jay and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  6. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    GoT is waaaayyy better than the books it's based on. They even managed to make me not hate Daenerys, which I thought was impossible.

Jay likes this.
  7. Jay

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    To be fair, GRRM always said he wanted Got/ASOIAF to be a TV show/series. He originally wrote it that way, but they said at the time it would be too expensive if I remember correctly.

Basically, it was never meant to be books. He just did that because he wanted to tell a story he was really passionate about. I'm pretty sure I remember him saying he actually prefers the TV show to the books himself and feels it tells the story better. He basically wrote the books because he wanted to include the full amount of characters and plots; at the time, no one would give him money to do that on the huge scale of GoT.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  8. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And now he's waiting on GoT to finish up, so he knows what to write for his next, and final, book in ASOIAF.

Jay likes this.
  9. Jay

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You know that would actually be pretty smart marketing. He's announced the last book is supposed to be out toward the end of this year.

So a really good way to do it. People know 2019 is the last year for the TV series, but most aren't going to want to wait to see what happens. They're gonna snatch up that last book and devour it. It's a good strategy.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  10. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They would do that anyway. This is GRRM we're talking about, and people have been waiting for almost a decade for this book, now.

11. Jay

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's very true as well. Still, it's a pretty clever marketing move too.