Going retro RPG

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Timothy W. Long, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Timothy W. Long

Timothy W. Long Level 4 (Warrior) LitRPG Author Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't know what this kick I'm on lately is all about. I've been playing a bunch of rougelikes for the past few weeks. Between TOME and Caves of Qud, (one of the most intriguing games I have ever come across), I can't seem to get enough. I've started, and died in Caves of Qud at least a 100 times but every time I get a character to level 1o I feel like I beat the game.

Over the last few days I've loaded a couple of the older Spiderweb Software games. Avadon: The Black Fortress has been occupying my iPad time at night. Do you all ever get that retro itch? I have Original Sin 2 on my PC and I can't stop playing a game with 16 bit graphics on my little iPad screen. LOL.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Heh. I feel you. My first draft of Roguelike the novel is almost complete!

roguelikeone.JPG

3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I did go on a short Age of Empires bender earlier this year.

4. James T. Witherspoon

James T. Witherspoon Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Citizen

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I do this about once a month or so. My weakness is old NES games though. About once a year, I get the urge to play through all the Megaman, Castlevania, or Zelda games.

5. Timothy W. Long

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, it wasn't easy, but I think I came up with a good balance that should work. He's trapped in a roguelike embedded within a VRMMORPG. Crazy. But fun.

I've been thinking about doing a roguelike (or having it done) based on my game world - Tower of Gates. Not a priority at this time, but I like to think ahead. Roguelikes have been around forever.

I'm def trying to fit in a lot of the cool/funny/weird stuff found in some roguelikes while also trying to make it my own.

Your first book is doing well so far. I think you have a fine career writing LitRPG ahead of you.

Viergacht likes this.
  7. Timothy W. Long

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    One thing I love about roguelikes is the insane amount of stats, skills, loot, and enemies. The sacrifice is in graphics and I used to be a huge graphics guy who purchased the latest video card every year. But there isn't a game like TOME with amazing graphics and I'm okay with that. Honestly, TOME has come such a long way over the last 20 years it's hard to believe the game has a full graphics engine and interface. I used to play Nethack back in the early 90's on unix because it was just so freaking cool.

I think doing a rouge like book is fascinating and I can't wait to see how your book comes out.

I'm not going to get to excited about writing LitRPG yet. It's only been a day and this business is crazy to say the least. I have several ongoing series so luckily I can fall back on money makers if things get tight. But man oh man I want to get the next Enter the Realm book underway right now.

Viergacht and Paul Bellow like this.
  8. AdamMyhr

AdamMyhr Level 4 (Warrior) LitRPG Author Citizen

90%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm interested in the approach you took. I'm just past the halfway point on my Rougelike LitRPG and working hard to finish it sooner rather than later. One person has taken a look so far and felt the mechanics worked. I can't wait to hear from my beta readers when I finish the draft.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  9. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Shit maybe I need to publish mine first. Haha. I'm calling mine Roguelike with possibility for a follow-up or two.

Hit me up with a message if you want to talk more about it. I'm interested in how you went too - with the permadeath mostly.

10. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    When the Retro-Bug bites, I whip out DosBox and fire up Master of Magic.

Juuuust one more turn!