Golumn True Growth vs Golum Enchantments or smtng

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by PokemonThug, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've been wondering about that. I don't think someone with a defence 10 helmet can just take an overhead swing from an ogre with a 6-9 attack club and walk away unscathed. I expect the helmet will cave in along with your head due to the momentum and striking force.

As for slings doing max 10 damage, that is not even remotely true. They have been known to penetrate breast plates and crack helmets.

This guy makes slings fun.

2. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    IThe superior sling schematic for the kinder does 6-8 base damage. Also it would be fired at rock/ground material.

3. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Any type of explosive type of bolt like the sprite arrow would be the most dangerous. Freezing spells would be hard on it as well. No way would I go at it with a golem like Ricthers with a sling. I’m not so sure how well an axe would cut through it either. With anything bladed your only hope would be to completely severe a limb and I wouldn’t tjink that likely.

Mister Bill likes this.
  4. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You want to crush or shatter, not cut apart. You will destroy an edged weapon if you use it to cut stone. A mace or a warhammer would be the goto weapon if you must engage it in melee.

The wristshot has a base attack of 6-8. The moonstone ammunition added another 8 to baseline damage, likely similar for other types of sling bullets. So 14-16 attack. To which you add skill bonuses and projectile speed bonuses.

This is a golem made out of caverock with a defense of 25. It might take a while to take it down but every shot will leave another crack, break apart its armor and damage the magical network that keeps it active. Even the flowing rock golem isn't immune.

Mister Bill likes this.
  5. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The closest example from book 7 itself would be

With the sling it would probably be similar. Lets take our dear friend Shinecatcher since he is the only slinger we have data on

[(+6 wristshot + 8 moonstone bullet (enchantment bonuses not taken into account)) + 34% for level 17 slinging + (Not sure how Aleron calculates dex bonus so lets err on the side of caution) +50% for 45 dexterity] - [(25 defense)]

= 25,76 - 25 = ,76

For the higher end sling damage its 29,44 - 25 = 4,44 damage per shot.

The golem automatically resist 20% of blunt damage, so every shot will do between 0,606 and 3,552 damage. Not overwhelming but a reasonable estimate would have a slinger fire between six and seven shots a minute. That's 24 -28 shots from every slinger in he four minute interval while the golem is recharging its shot.

6. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don’t think your going to crush anything made with earth, roots, and rock. If it was straight up rock or crystal I would agree with crushing. I might need to go back and look but I didn’t think his golem was 100% rock.

7. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What would be nice is a marbleized Quartz & striated blood stone golem. Especially if he could get something vampiric to make it from.

Mister Bill likes this.
  8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I read it as pure rock. It wasn't able to shift in any way or form until it absorbed something from the slime that allowed it to become a flowing rock golem. Makes it a little more vulnerable to slashing, and a little resistant to blunt damage, in addition to being able to move through narrower tunnels.

9. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Plus if you have a ton in the field then people can’t maneuver around them very well. They could be the center of a shield wall or something.

10. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The earth golem we have on file has a defense of 35 i think. The augmented flowing rock version is 25.

Mister Bill likes this.
  11. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Its a defense of 32.

The augmented flowing rock version was the one I looked at since its the one Richter has currently.

One thing I forgot to take into account, the baseline damage of 6-8 is what the blueprint bestows. A smith bestow +1% to attack/ defense values per skill level. So a newly professed smith with skill level 45 would increase the attack range from 6-8 to 8 -11 before adding in extra damage for quality rank which we knows adds additional base damage. This is also without accounting for any talents said smith might have.

Slings can also be enchanted with more base damage, in addition to enchanting the sling bullets with various types of damage. For instance, the moonstone bullets Richter gave the kindir have an additional 7-8 earth damage, dealing an additional +300% against crystalline enemies.

I'm unsure whether a rock golem would qualify as a crystaline enemy. Otherwise, Richter would have to use an air enchantment to do max damage against a rock golem.

12. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Interesting find by our @Dragon that Ak's calculations are quite "lacking"...
    Throwing the rock just 30 meters is ridiculous. Unless the rock weighs like a 100 kg. But then the damage would be insane.
    Clearly another mistake by AK. Still Golem can be used differently creatively

Golem climbs into tree or caves highest elevation point etc...
    Golem is now bombarding and approaching army with stones, when army directly bellow him(Yes my golem has it)
    (if golem can guard a door, golem can throw stones at anyone who approaches tree when they are directly beneath it)
    It is a bag of holding. It has 50 tons of rock boulders.
    Golem consumes.. Golem levels.
    Golem gets a reward.
    Reward be a wizzard hart with +10 to int and Wisdom.
    Golem now be mage.
    Golem learns flight..
    He can now bomabrd ppl form 2 km in the skies.
    Golem is feared.
    Golem goes to do battle with Dragons!

Mister Bill and Johan like this.
  13. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just the bombardment alone would be enough. Especially if it’s a disposable golem. You could take out an army’s morale that way, for sure. Like sniper hides in the trees in the Vietnam war.

Johan likes this.
  14. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes, Righter might need to pay a whole bunch to expand the number of golems he can have. But he can't put them in the trees because I assume it would need to be connect to earth to reload. But on top of the plateau would be perfect, with the little camouflage it can use.

Yall are right about the weight of the slug the golem throws, it must be massive. there might be a description for the diameter of the shot.

edit:
    So a football field (both versions) are 120 yards long. and it can throw a "Small Boulder". So this is an amazing ranged attack.

If we back track that with the range calculation, what does that give us? the calculation is for 87, so lets assume it is yards.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    PokemonThug and Mister Bill like this.
  15. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So if we go by earth gravity and a 45 degree angle

SQRT((87 yard = 80 meters) * (9.8 m/s) / (sin (2 x 45 degree))) =
    28 m/s (meters per second)
    62.63 mph (miles per hour)
    1.044 mi/min (miles per minute)
    91.86 ft/s (feet per second)

a small boulder moving as such speed will do quite a bit of damage.

16. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It will be enough to kill most creatures outright and severely hurt stronger creatures. It has a base attack of 49 growing with 1 per level.

In addition to the strength (i'm assuming its not dexterity based) bonus, and other bonuses. I wouldn't be surprised if it did several hundred damage before we subtract the opponents defense values.

Mister Bill likes this.
  17. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So how would that add up against a Palisade? I still think using the golem for hit and run attacks would be awesome. It might be more of a wrecking ball against would walls then most want to admit.

18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Assuming we are talking about something like a tier 1 pine-tree one-layer palisade? It would pass right through, splintering the beams.

Thicker palisades or palisades made from heavier lumber, would take it substantially better.

Neither case is 1-2 shots and you have a guranteed breach someone could enter. Which means by the time you do at least 8 minutes will have passed.

After the raid you are definitely loosing your golem as well.

The marbled stone village walls have a defense of 38 without bonuses and enchantments. The golem would do a bit of damage to them with its 49 attack. But given that each segment of the walls have 15,225/ 15,225 durability, the golem would need hours of continuously firing at the spot where it needs to create a breach. Meanwhile the enemy would be returning fire.

Mister Bill likes this.
  19. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lol@ the tier one pine tree.

As compared to a tier two that throws pine cones and shots pine needles.

Why would you have to lose the golem?

Who said raid?

I imagine the enemy would try to return fire but it’s not like walls are fully manned all the time.

That’s why you have Surprise attacks. That way you catch them not on the wall. I’m sure they don’t sleep in their armor and with weapons either. That’s why we have always talked about hit and run attacks at night.

That’s one of the gorilla warfare tactics. Hit your enemy when and where they don’t expect it. Then disappear. Troops can’t stay on high alert 24/7 it defeats their morale and wears them out physically.

Smashing up their camps leaving holes in walls that must be repaired and guarded until they are repaired. Dropping fire bombs from the skies and destroying their structures would make them need their slaves more. Thus less would be eaten or abused beyond the ability to do work. Wreaking havoc Upon the enemy is of great advantage. No one should go toe to toe in a raid until the time is right.

20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I assumed hit and run meant raids aka guerilla warfare.

Mister Bill likes this.