Greater and Lesser Conflict in the Land

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Citizen

99%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Previously the group had come to a consensus that the ship would be a hybrid ship.

I hope it’s a full fledge warship. I agree with Shout on bags of holding and such being capable of hauling better loads of cargo. Reiterating earlier sentiments a full warship would have a dominance over the vast majority of Yves ships. Considering What Randy said about Yves ships and a likely attack route by Yves a warship is the right choice. With a warship they could always capture other ships. Troop barges could become trade barges. A warship will also be a lot better equipped to take on see monsters

R.I.C.H.T.E.R likes this.
  2. Dragon

Dragon Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Those troop barges will be protected somehow. Likely by a couple warships of their own. I know the kingdom supposedly only has a few ships, but I think that's relative to its size. Half a dozen small warships used to beat back enemy warcanooes and boats is a pitiable naval force for a kingdom with many million citizens, but if its sufficient for its duties then it doesn't really matter if most of the military spending goes to maintaining a large army, a tiny airforce (I can't imagine Yves doesn't have something) and a handfull of elite units.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  3. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Richter started by ordering a ship to be used for trade expeditions and exploration, not a war ship.

So basically a barge rebuilt to serve as a warship. I'm thinking big hold for a warship allowing it to carry more troops and supplies (important as its their only ship), maybe some wooden armor and not as speedy as a pure war ship would have been.

Said ship will be armed with at least one scorpion ballista.
    I'm thinking the scorpion will be the main armament of a fairly small ship. Shiovana only has a few helpers after all. Fill the deck with sprite archers, use the mist as cover and they should be able to take their pound of flesh before the enemy can adapt their tactics.

4. Belgared

Belgared Level 5 (Veteran) Citizen

90%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Does anything we will get naval combat in book 10 or 11? Like rictors ship will engage the city of yves' fleet?

5. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yves is a major kingdom with many duchies. Law which is the city we've seen the most of is important because its the capital and because its where the kingdom's first and possibly only Dungeon lies. That said, looking at the map it seems to me that the kingdom could be slightly bigger than the forest of Nadria which we know is 600.000 square miles. They have a lot of towns, mines, fields, and workshops.

That said, the kingdom as far as we know only has a few warships and a smattering of troop transport available. Its not a naval power and there are no presumably no serious threats that can use the waterways against them.

I don't think we'll see a war between the kingdom of Yves and the mist village any time soon because its a narrative deadend where the only path to victory is a long series of insanely unlikely victories for the good guys where they can afford no loses whatsoever.

I do think the count will be acting on his own again though, raising a small army and buying a few troop transports and a warship or two to guard them on an upriver journey. He is a wealthy man, so if he beggared himself he could go for Richter with considerable military strength.

6. Captain BlackJack

99%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree with Dragon that Ricther will still have some engagements with the Count.

Ricther still has a quest to free the remaining slaves in Yves. That quest Is pretty high on his to do list. Ricther isn’t aware as of yet but some of those slaves are being used as sacrifices. The Count is also holding some family members of those professionals that he will not let leave.

If what the assassin said is true. The Count has already sent Mercenaries to scout the village so it shouldn’t be long before they return with a larger force. Randy told Ricther that they would likely send troops by ship. With Ricther converting his cargo ship to a warship we should be seeing some type of action fairly soon.

I don’t expect anything but some troop barges from what Randy had mentioned. A war ship facing some 3-4 troop barges shouldn’t be to taxing. I do hope to see some of those barges captured and repurposed.

A sound defeat on the river should buy the Mist village a good period of time. Considering the Count wouldn’t find out until his Mercenaries walked back. Then he would need to either prepare for an over land expedition or request a warship with more barges.

7. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You can bet that when richter goes to do the ‘right an ancient wrong’ quest there will be some kind of at sea action. Either pirates or sea monsters, or both. The quest is located on an island after all.

I am kinda hoping that richter’s luck arranges for the count to run into the basilisk alliance. I am also reasonably certain that the count will be chasing mama’s caravan.

8. Captain BlackJack

99%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ricther definitely has the luck! With the Basilisk Alliance moving in around the Mist Village it would be highly likely the any sizeable force would be spoted by them. That would certainly lead to a fight. It would matter how deep they are into the wilderness they could try to fight back beyond the Alliances lines to make it home.

If it’s an all Mercenary force I could see them coming to the resolve that realigning with Ricthers forces for survival is their best choice. Even if it was only for survival that would send the Count into orbit. Not only being beaten by Ricther but then fighting beside him against the alliance would be a tremendous blow to the Count.

9. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

52%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm thinking that the Plague Squad might be following Mama's Caravan as well. And the Vindicators attempting to follow them.

10. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Richter promised was to free the nonhumans that were sold off by the thieves guild. He did not promise he would free every nonhuman that has been forced into servitude in Yves. That could include many thousands of nonhumans captured in battles along the Yvesian borders or even by raiders(former poachers perhaps) supplying the Yvvesian underground slave trade by attacking minor tribes with little hope of stopping them or capturing travellers.

11. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe. Worst case scenario would be them parlaying and realizing that they have no conflict of interest. Mercenaries generally don't care for the moral fiber of their allies.

If the mercenaries are promised that all surviving villagers will go to the count once the village is broken with the bugbears promising a few extra elven/ human slaves from their own holdings as well, that would see the count compensated for most of his loses without a costly war with the bugbears.

The bugbears would get the Dungeon and the territory with whatever treasures it might contain (none of them know of the Core buildings, the pixies or the quickening), in addition to the counts promise of pulling his troops back beyond the border.

12. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So your suggesting that the alliance threat to MV might end in a total cluster f**k of a battle royal, with every group trying to kill every other group? Or do you think that the various armies are going to get in the way of the courts troops as they try to kill each other?

13. Andrew Lynas

52%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A bit of both I suspect, and maybe some eventual temporary alliance's in the case of the Basilisk Alliance and the Plague Squad, assuming they don't end up Really having ago at each other the first few times when they first meet.

14. Belgared

Belgared Level 5 (Veteran) Citizen

90%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think the plague squad won't play nice, and will be willing to just waste everyone. Especially with the name they have, I think they would have weapons that spread.

15. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Like the light court agents are going to be any better.

16. Captain BlackJack

99%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, like that’s going to happen. With Ricther the manifestation of Alerons OP persona in the Land I just can’t see it. I can see Ricthers insane luck and unlimited everything like the rains of a monsoon. It will continue to pour down with winds and lightning all around him until our hero walks through it to the other side when the sun breaks and shines upon him crowning him the Lord of the Land.

17. Captain BlackJack

99%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think as long as Ricther abides them they will side with him against the alliance.

18. Andrew Lynas

52%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    One thing I think that is pretty much Guaranteed is that when Richter makes it to the Surface again that it WILL be Raining.

19. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Very true, its becoming a cliche.

20. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I very much doubt that, he has been a problem for both courts. More so for the dark courts though.