Greater and Lesser Conflict in the Land

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Light court will see Ricther like Hisako sees him. As long as he appears the hero of life, light, and all that is good they will stand with him. When they see his pure chaos they could attack him immediately. They won’t have that instant kill urge that dark or evil creatures give all lawful good characters.

2. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Assuming that they are Lawful or Good and not just portrayed that way, and even if they are you should never trust Fanatics and Zealots, especially if they decide that you aren't their kind of person.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  3. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You are confusing light with good/positive alignment. The light court are just as big a group of bastards as the dark court. They also have an absolutely absurd level of strict and pointless ritual in their lives (very orderly)

the king of light had one of his peons eaten alive by a demon, and destroyed a planet to kill a pheonix.

4. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The light courts wiped out pixies. I don't think they'll accept their return in celestial form when their old selves were already enough of a threat to warrant a direct attack.

5. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The courts are not portrayed as being good, lawful evil at best.

6. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Then did the light court become good rather than genocidal monsters that were busy wiping out entire worlds for fun and trophies long before their imprissonment?

7. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They forgot to read the prologues and got confused

8. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Honestly though its basically a representation of his LL Powers. I bet the mist elemental would have been extra in the rain

9. Belgared

Belgared Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't think so, since the king seemed like he regretted wiping out the pixies. I think to him all the races of The Land are just chess pieces that he can remove from the board on his whim.

10. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If they are anything like the Seelie and Unseelie, Light/Summer and Dark Winter Fey Courts of Myth then they a pretty much the same Morally but the Light Court likes to portray itself as being the Good guys of the two, while th he Dark Court don't really care how people view them, they let their badness hang out for everybody to see.

11. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh yeah the light courts are the heroes of the piece. Especially their king who enjoys a good hunt and:

1) Sits in a throne made from the skull of a Dragon god.
    2) Has the horn of an evolved unicorn. Call me naive but I bet you that thing wasn't a threat to anyone.
    3) He also has a tattered banner, the last symbol of an empire that spanned several galaxies which he presumably destroyed.
    4) And off course the ashes of a phoenix forever trapped in a stasis pod.

I don't consider trophy hunters that literally destroy planets and kill billions for a piece of fluff for the wall particularly heroic.

Also here are his exact thoughts on exterminating a few billion pixies

Look this guy would fit in right beside stalin and hitler. He might have his doubts about ending the pixies, but he is nowhere near remorse for his actions. Its more that he is wondering whether there was a better way to deal with the pixie threat, coopt them somehow perhaps.

12. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

That’s exactly right Bel! I think everyone here should remember that as well. Then they should ask what was there purpose in doing so? There is no doubt that the light and dark court see themselves completely different then the other races of the Land. Somewhat as alien races looking down on lessor races. They use them as they will and don’t mind how many the kill. Lawful good and Lawful evil characters are bound by their natures in D&D to automatically attack on site. Their hate for the other inspires them to kill and destroy. Hisako at times has found it taxing to even look upon certain things. Do you really think Hisako would have allowed Ricther to live in the beginning if she thought he was evil?

Do you could consider Ricther a genocidal monster as well? He did kill all of the Goblins no matter what status they held combatant, and non-combatant. Did the series say they were out to destroy other worlds? I think the Light court and the Dark court are out to kill and destroy each other including their proxies. In war isn’t there always collateral damage? I m not saying they haven’t destroyed worlds and killed races. I am saying they did it trying to eliminate their antithesis.

13. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Reread the prologues man, they were quite clear that the king hunted and destroyed cause he enjoyed it. Also for something to be a proxy it must work for them or on behalf of them in some capacity, the pixies did neither if the hearth mothers opinion of the courts was shared by them. We have a lot of reason to believe they did share that opinion. Historical records of the exiles being a prime example.

in those prologues i didn’t actually get the impression that the light and dark courts were antithesis of each other. At least not any more than the United states and russia are the antithesis of each other. The impression i got was that they are two groups of powerful beings that banded together to control everything and got offended that the other group existed.

ShoughtLoud and Andrew Lynas like this.
  14. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've been wondering wether Telos from the Gods Eye Book might not have been the Capital Planet of this Empire?

15. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What action precisely did Richter commit that is comparable to destroying an entire world and murdering everyone there just for a trophy?

Richter fought invaders and he did feel remorse over killing goblin noncombatants that were on the battlefield with AOE attacks - he levelled his badge Slaughter The innocent (or something to that effect) which was the only reason he realized what had happened later on -, he did not go for them. The light court doesn't care at all about those weaker than themselves. By their own admission they have destroyed entire worlds and brought down empires spanning galaxies for a few trophies.

TLDR
    they did not destroy the world with the phoenix to fight their antithesis. They did it for a phoenix ash trophy.

16. Belgared

Belgared Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You are right in that he has no morals, but my point was that he didn't hate the pixies when he killed like hitler hated the jews. He just saw them as objects to use in his quest for more power.

17. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don’t remember, did hitler actually hate jews? Or were they a convenient and effective scapegoat? In the end it doesn’t matter i guess, the out come was what it was.

18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nobody ever said the Light court were the hero’s of this story.

These are all good points but what do the prove? In my opinion it proves their sense of supreme being, I think all of the originals are oblivious to all other living things.

1.) Did he consider the Dragon God a powerful but lessor creature?
    2.) So what was the Evolved Unicorn to him? Was it like a magical deer? Does it need to be a threat to be hunted by a hunter?
    3.) Why Is it odd that he would keep a tattered banner of a defeated empire?
    4.) Do you think he has a reason to keep the ashes of a Phoenix trapped in a stasis box?

I don’t think we know the answers to any of these questions. Although making these statements about the lord of the Light court sure does make him sound powerful. He could be using the ashes of the Phoenix as snuff for some sort of godly magic we just don’t know.

Was it clearly stated that he destroyed planets and killed billions for some fluff yo go on his wall?

I find it more likely he had fought them for some other reason. I would also believe that he must have had some form of regard for them or he wouldn’t have put the battered banner on his wall. People don’t normally show off prize candy they took from a baby.

I think your quote from the series also goes to show how he sees the Pixie Race. I think he sees them more of a resource that he could have used for his on purpose perhaps in a better way. I don’t think he created a plague to kill the Pixies if it didn’t think it would serve his purpose in some manor.

19. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The originals see everything as objects for their use.

20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think Telos could have been a planet that the gods of the Land lived on. Those gods being in direct conflict with the originals had to have been beaten in some manor by the Originals. If they were trying to protect the Land from the Originals they surely wouldn’t want to battle them in the Land unless it was last resort.