Greater and Lesser Conflict in the Land

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Are the vindicators or the plague squad proxies?

You might try not to recall all my ramblings, but I believe that the basilisks alliance is a creation of the courts. I think the dark court and Exiles are using the basilisks alliance to upset the balance of the land. They are trying to corrupt the land and at the same time use the chaos seeds to break the lock the keeps them in prison. Do proxies necessarily need to know the all the puppet masters plains? Would you consider Singh a proxy? How about the chaos seeds themselves? The Chaos Seeds were brought to the land blindly by the Exiles. Were the Exiles not using the chaos seeds to do what they wanted but couldn’t do? They wanted that lock broke so they got the chaos seeds so they might do it for them.

I contraire, the United States and The Soviet Union were distinctly different. One capitalist the other communist. One cherished freedom the other cherished control. Like the Originals both have the ability to destroy the world over killing each other and everyone else becoming collateral damage. How many countries in the world had been down trodden or destroyed due to the USA and Russia backing the other side as the two countries play global chess? How many have died due to them? In my mind they both act a lot like the Originals.

2. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Actually yes, the pheonix was warming a planet in its core, and the king destroyed the planet to dig it out.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  3. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I still don’t think we know the whole story. He still could have killed it for some reason. We really don’t know if he could use it for a resource or not.

My point still stands that all things are in complete disregard to the originals unless they have a purpose for it. Those ashes might make for one good laxative.

4. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    i suppose it goes back to how you look at things. In my view Cuba was about nukes in close proximity, vietnam was about copper and so other resourses, afganastan (ussr, well both really) rare earths. Other peoples freedom was a propaganda tool. Admittedly the US does try very hard to be the good guy in any conflict so we do things like build schools.

5. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Its a pheonix so yea if having a resurrecting bird tear its self out of your ass sounds like a good way to fix your constipation issues.

6. Hmmm

Hmmm Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Can the scribes use perfect scribing to fix Count Stonuk's paper
    Can the scribes use "perfect scribing " to repair the papers found on Sonirae?

Book 5
    At the second level, however, Perfect Scribing lets a Scholar correct a document or book that someone else has written. For a small amount of mana, I could alter anything you wrote to reflect what you intended to write. It lets a Scholar remove any errors in spelling, stray inkblots, poor spacing and other inconsistencies.

7. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Doesn’t sound like it. The damage wasn’t a writing error. Game systems can be very specific with magic.

Are you referring to the thieves guild book? I don’t remember the count papers. There was nothing truly wrong with the thieves book, it was in code, not a writing error. Was the nightblade book referred too as the counts papers in the books?

8. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Russia wanted nukes in Cuba because the USA placed nukes in Turkey.

Vietnam was a result of the USA refusing to support the cause of Vietnam’s independence. After WWII Ho Chi Minh came to the United States asking for its support for independence from France. The USA refused to support them and held fast to them returning as a French colony. The Russians then moved in to support Ho Chi Minho claim of independence. As the French were being beaten the US moved in to support the French. Afterwards it became a war to prevent communist influence and expansion.

9. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The papers were written in code. Didn’t Randy say that what the Count had written was to hard to decipher as he wasn’t that bright but he was having some difficulty with what the others had written. I think what he found in the thieves book was actually a ledger.

10. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That is what the history books say, yes. Some vietnam vets have had a somewhat different story, and as an iraq vet i have reason to believe their accounts over the official one,

11. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I find it highly unlikely that the Gods of The Land would "Live" on any other World then The Land, they might have been able to visit other worlds as long as they had some type of tie to it (A Follower or Item of Power or Avatar) but they would be mostly Bound to The of and their Followers on The Land.

12. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Gods often live in other realms, on other planes, or on other worlds. That doesn’t mean they cant hear their worshipers and it doesn’t mean they can’t move from place to place at the drop of a hat. The Gods of the Land could have created their own world such as Remy creates things from nothing. Wasn’t about the time of the Great cataclysm that the gods went silent?

13. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You won’t see many books stating that the UNited States refused to support Vietnam’s desire to be a free nation. I don’t think you will find many saying the US supported Frances colonial expansion and conquest either. Remember there were no French forces in Vietnam at the end of WWII the Japanese had removed them.

Your friend could have been stationed near a copper mine that could have helped him come to that conclusion. Look at this link to see world producers of copper.

List of countries by copper smelter production - Wikipedia

The US has been as high as number five in world production. Although France isn’t a world producer. I would also imagine France had other interest in Vietnam reverting back to a colony after WWII as well. We must all concede the war was initiated by the Vietnamese people wanting their freedom.

14. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    While I don't think perfect scribing would decode the book for free, it would still improve the material Randy is working with. The problem with decoding pieces is that you have to assume that the code writer was perfect and everything was done 100% on purpose. This talent would literally make that true. Definitely a good idea to try it.

15. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hundreds of millions, perhaps even billions in the long run, would have died if the world had fallen under soviet control, assuming they kept the same policies in these newly occupied lands that they did in eastern Europe. Countering their aggression was a necessity and it hardly makes the US the same as them. That's not to say the US hasn't got plenty of ugly WARts and other flaws.

We have no evidence nor claims in the books that the king of the light court has a reasonable justifications for his actions. What we do know is that he committed genocide against pixies and by extension sprites. We know he destroyed an entire world, and that even his own court does not like to bring up the fact that the world the phoenix was keeping warm has been reduced to an asteroid field. At this point there is nothing pointing to him being anything other than a monster justly locked away.

Belgared and Captain BlackJack like this.
  16. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I didn’t say he wasn’t justly locked away. Nor did I say he had reasonable causes for his action. I did say he would have had his reasons. My point has been and remains we don’t know his reasons for his actions. We do know that the Light court and Dark court had been fighting since there conceptions. Light versus Dark forces and let no one come between or take a side. If you do not only do you put yourself at great peril but your whole world as it seem to me.

They only stopped fighting when they realized there could be no victory at a one to one casualty rate. Yet the Light court seems eager for the vindicators to find the plague squad resuming their conflict by proxy. The land and all its inhabitants mean nothing to the originals and if destroying it will release them all they will want is a method to do so.

17. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Largely incorrect or at least biased.
    The question of Vietnam wasn't the US's call to make, nor was it a matter for the UN, where France had a seat on the security council anyway. Anything they tried would have been vetoed.

The vast majority of the Vietnamese people were never heard on the question of independence so one cannot say what they might have wanted. What can be said is that a relatively small fraction of the population was armed and trained by the great powers to fight the japanese occupiers during ww2. After the war when the french tried to reestablish their rule over Vietnam this faction decided to rebel and eventually succeeded - due to the aid of the soviet union and China - in driving the French out during the first indochina war. Following that was a civil war, where both sides had the backing of either communists/capitalists and the US eventually decided to enter the war. After the war south vietnam was conquered and a quarter million were slaugthered in the immidiate aftermath, followed by decades of persecution and violent crackdowns.

As for the idea that it was for cobber, it was really mostly for prestige and to make a political statement. Europe got many times more out of trade than it ever did conquest, at least in terms of economic profit..

What precisely do you mean by fix? If you mean create a forgery, there are likely talents for discovering that kind of thing just as there will be talents to counter the anti-forgery talents. I don't think something made with an error correction talent will stand up to scrutiny.

18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Drag, I’m not going to claim you are largely incorrect or claim your are biased. I’m not going to act like I know everything. I am going to ask you to ask you to tell me the name of any battles or skirmishes those trained troops were in.

When German beat France and the Vichy Government was installed in France the Vichy also took control of Vietnam. Due to its close proximity to Japan the Japanese didn’t feel good about the Vichy controlling the country so close to main land Japan. Japan already had forces throught Asia and they decided to move troops into Vietnam to secure the country. The Vichy remained in power until 1945. At that point the Japanese attacked the Vichy forces and police. They jailed all the leaders and took full control pushing all Vichy forces back into China. Prior to that the entire country had been relatively Unmolested. It was a hot bed for spy’s. The British and the OSS had intel groups from the early days that reported to general Chennault. They reported troop movements and weather. They also helped retrieve downed bomber crews. Eventually they all went dark same as the free Chinese intel groups had earlier. China had gone dark well before the British and the OSS. When China went dark they decided to release Ho Chi Minh from prison so he might return to Vietnam in order to build a new intel group. Eventually the OSS command learned of Ho Chi Minhs name. When they started to recruit Ho Chi Minh they asked what he wanted in return. He first asked the OSS if America would recognize a free Vietnam. The OSS worked around the request. At the time Ho Chi Minh didn’t have any equipment at all. The OSS and British actually sent radios and radio crews to be embedded in Ho Chi Minhs spy network. At that time the Vietnamese people felt like slaves to the Vichy which were also considered slaves to the Japanese. The sense of being slaves to slaves was a common feeling across the nation. When the war came to an end Ho Chi Minh went back to the United States again not only asking for recognition as an independent state. He also asked for equipment in order to fight for their freedom. At the end of the World War II there were multiple groups of Vietnamese that wanted their freedom. Those groups had strayed arming themselves as best as they could in order to fight for their freedom.

Drag, I have Entertained this subject here long enough. I have likely encouraged more responses from you or others which is fine but I am asking if we can move this to a conversation and return this thread to what it should be used for. Message me with facts and some good civil discord. I love history. I also have a personal friend that was born and raised in Vietnam until the Vietnamese Communist Government released his father from prison. Then they immigrated to the United States.

19. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Very true, it isn’t a subject we should have entertained here, it isn’t the first time we segued so far off topic and won’t be the the last. I am aware i was responsible for this one.

20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You’re alright Darkstar, I went on about it.

Changing the subject.

I think it was Drag that had made the comment that Yves could be smuggling or Kidnapping non humans from other countries. If that is true Ricther might find some strong allies in surrounding areas. Hasn't Rione already had plenty of issues and wars with Yves? It makes me think the first ambassador sent on a real diplomatic mission should find his way to Rione.