Guardians of the Flame Series

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Paul Bellow, May 15, 2017.

?

Have you read Guardians of the Flame?

1. Yup.

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Nope.

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  3. Soon!

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Love that idea. Guardians of Guardians of the Flame. Heh.

[​IMG]

2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lemme know if you want to resell them for a giveaway. I need to check eBay too, I guess. ;)

3. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm dying to hear if they've held up for you over the years. Let us know, please.

4. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Man, I want to contact whoever owns the Rosenberg books and tell them to add LitRPG/GameLit as keywords... Would sell a bunch, I bet.

5. Dave Cole

Dave Cole Level 8 (Thug) Citizen

88%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I plan on giving them away when I finish. I can send them to you once I am done. I am about to finish book 5 in the next couple days. My reading has slowed due to trying to relocate 500 miles away.

6. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I'd love to use them for a giveaway for the forum. Lemme know. Thanks!

7. Dave Cole

88%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There are a few dated references to political figures of the ‘80s that may not be familar to younger readers, but nothing that will ruin the story.

I originally lost track of the series after the trilogy. It is still a good series, but I am surprised at how little action takes place in each book. Rosenberg spent a lot of his time having his characters explain why they did something or questioning an action they took.

He also has everyone know a character so well, that they can accurately know they are going to do, even if they are half a world away, which is a little odd, because if the character was so predictable in their actions, they would not have been such a successful raider.

As the series goes on, it seems to veer away from its original premise of entering the world through a game, and reading more like a typical fantasy title only with guns, and a few other things that were engineered with the knowledge of the other world. I fear that an interesting plot point from the beginning of the series is never going to be resolved.

So far Heir Apparent is the weakest of the books. The Warrior lives is a little better. They start to transition the focus from thhe original group to their children and other supporting cast beginning in the fourth book.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  8. Dave Cole

88%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Looks like it is Spectrum Literacy Agency. They published the Kindle versions of the first five books. http://www.spectrumliteraryagency.com/index.htm

Paul Bellow likes this.
  9. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks. I might reach out later this year and let them know with a couple minutes of their time they could probably sell a ton more books.

10. Dave Cole

88%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Finished The Warrior lives. Not a lot happens, but it works as a transition from the original cast of characters and setting the stage for the second half of the series. Getting ready to start The Road to Ehvenor. I am glad I don’t have to wait three years for it to be published.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  11. Dave Cole

88%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Finished Road to Ehvenor. The first three books are still my favorite, but this is an improvement to book 4 & 5. A lot of my dislike of 4& 5 may be due to a general dislike of the protagonist, or at least the way he is presented.

An odd observation, the font changes in this book, making it a more enjoyable read. Not something that I would make think would make that big of a deal, but it does.

Off to start The Road Home.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  12. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I researched my first print book and found out Century Schoolbook is a very simple font used in most primary reading material.

Thanks for the update!

13. Dave Cole

88%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Finished The Road Home and starting Not Exactly the Three Musketeers. Not a whole lot to add without spoiling things. It is still a fun series, but I find myself feeling disappointed that it is not the story I was expecting.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  14. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have not, and I feel like I should.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  15. Dave Cole

88%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Its been awhile since I last updated. Haven’t had a chance to do a lot of reading between moving 500 miles and Ni No Kuni 2 being released.

I started Not Exactly the Three Musketeers, which leaves behind the original characters, and focuses on three of the side characters. Still a good fantasy series, but I find myself no longer interested in these characters, or their story. Loved the first four books, but found my interest waning in books five and six, enjoyed seven and thought that I would like the final trilogy, but the series went off in another direction, and will never be able to finish some of the early storylines.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  16. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I think he tried to switch series after a three or four but nothing sold as well? Or the publisher talked him in to "phoning them in" maybe?

Anyone interested in a giveaway of the whole set of novels?

17. SNO

SNO Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I must have read the series a dozen times, loved it more each time. I was fortunate in that my teachers and professors in Los Angeles were avid readers of fantasy as well.
    I was introduced to D and D in 1978, so by the time GOTF came out I was in line on day 1 to pick up my copy.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  18. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  19. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  20. GameMasterPhoenix

GameMasterPhoenix Level 8 (Thug) Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

40%
    xp:
    Zone:
    U.S.(MidWest)
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No, but I'm intrigued. I'll add them to my used bookstore list so I remember to look for them next time I make a trip.

Paul Bellow likes this.