RANT He stumbled on a terrible thread one that would change the fate of the world

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by MrPotatoMan, Sep 4, 2017.

1. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ive noticed a lot of LitRPG seems to do this thing that really annoys me specifically makeing the MC just "stumble onto" a big secret that other infinitely more powerful people want. Why does this annoy me because its a bad practice and it makes your MC look dumb and overly lucky like he cant set out to find the thing everyone else wants he has to just "stumble onto it" no explanation or reason why he does he just happens to be lucky. I think I have a lot more to add im just not thinking of anything right now so any responses would be appreciated.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's just laziness. Though, I can see stumbling onto something to prove the point he has a great deal of Luck or something, but not the Big Kahona of all magical items. Or maybe have a secondary character/rival that stumbles onto things which DRIVES HIM CRAZY. That might be fun.

3. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree that its lazyness but when tons of LitRPG books do it, it starts to feel really annoying and someones it gets done to much I have seen quite a few books that start like that and then continue and then end. My main point is that anyone writing future books might want to try to write something different and also if you cant just use different wording everyone using stumbled makes it worse