Hello (I'm procrastinating) ...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by TheStoryWitch, May 13, 2017.

1. TheStoryWitch

TheStoryWitch wordsmith LitRPG Author Citizen

0%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Wales, UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hey all, good to be here. Been on the mailing list for a month or so and when I saw the community starting here decided to sign up (I'm "supposed" to be writing now but am actually answering emails and signing up to forums). I'm from Wales UK and am working on a novel that I think will fall into the LitRPG genre. This was a surprise as I'm usually more of a magical realism girl, but hey, who am I to argue with the muse.

Scargro, Halimah and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Welcome. (Have I said that enough already? Small smile.)

I added you to the LitRPG Author group. That means you can post in the LitRPG Author section (hidden from others) or post a thread in the WIP forum. Any questions, ask away.

To help with my own "should be writing," I think I'm going to post daily word counts on my next novel. Stay tuned.

3. TheStoryWitch

0%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Wales, UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thank you Paul (and also for my dagger. Plain is good. I don't like ostentation)

I'm in research phase at the moment which seems to mean chasing many white rabbits down holes and coming up several hours later with not much done. Looking forward to starting to get words down. A daily word count accountability thing would be good.

4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I posted my first litrpg novel to RRL, which showed progress (or lack thereof), but I think for the next I'll do word counts here at least. We shall see.

When I did the bulk of my research, I read a LOT of comments on Amazon - good and bad. I'm shooting for where I think the LitRPG audience will be in another year, i.e. more of a teen / young adult audience. While I can't be certain it will go that way, bringing that audience into LitRPG isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The best review on my first LitRPG novel was from a mother who said her thirteen-year-old son stopped playing video games for a day to finish the book. Humbling and exciting at the same time. Anyway, I've got to sign-off for a bit, but I'll be around. We're up to 20 members in the first 48 or so hours, which isn't bad.

Cheers for now!

5. TheStoryWitch

0%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Wales, UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's really interesting about the audience. The book I'm working on is middle-grade (10-13 year olds). The research has mainly been because the game is a WWI VR and I want to make sure it's historically accurate.

It's really love to hear people's definition of what LitRPG genre is - and the obligatory scenes if they've been established yet. I am not totally sure that what I'm writing does/ will fall into this category but I think that stories with heavy use of game world mixed with fantasy/ sci-fi maybe do fit with litRPG?

6. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, some might hit you negatively on the reviews if it doesn't fit their definition of LitRPG. Personally, I think it's an evolving genre, which is a good thing. If you write well, readers are going to love you.

One of the biggest pet peeves I've noticed is either too many or too little stats. The stats and leveling are the "deal breakers" for many when it comes to whether something is LitRPG or not.

All that said, there's a huge teen / YA audience out there that likely dwarfs LitRPG currently. I think LitRPG is going to blow-up even more in the next 12 to 24 months. Fingers crossed! :)