Here he comes to save the day....

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DarkLordCorwin, Jul 16, 2017.

?

Who else would like an Urban Fantasy based LitRPG?

1. Me me me me!

2. Emphatically No

3. WTF is Urban Fantasy?

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DarkLordCorwin

DarkLordCorwin Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hey, DarkLordCorwin here or you can just call me DLC. I've been using this nick off and on for years and it was only this year that I realized what its initials were. Duh.

Avid reader. Science Fiction, Fantasy, High Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Superhero/villain Fiction, the occasional mystery because The Cat Who series by Lillian Jackson Braun has amused me since childhood. And of course LitRPG. Also Xianxia, Xuanhan, Wuxia, etc, etc, etc... basically a number of translated novels coming out of Asia.

Glad to be here, though I'm not much of a forum checker. Currently playing Elder Scrolls Online, running a Tank who wishes he could dps harder. And a fledgling Healer who hasn't done anything but skip the tutorial.

Currently re-reading I Shall Seal The Heavens by Er Gen and translated by Deathblade, now that the translation is finished I have to read it from the beginning. Though my favorite part is Vol 3 I believe it is, when he learns alchemy because it's well paced and interesting without being all, "I waved my hand and became a master alchemist and concoct pills in seconds."

One of my favorite series of all time is The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. In fact, I would love to see an Urban Fantasy based LitRPG, something along the lines of Dresden or The Secret World MMORPG.

2. Larakel

Larakel Level 14 (Defender) Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

26%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Newbie Island
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I used to love the Dresden Files. When it was actually published in a timely manner. Now I just can't be fussed with it. I'll probably read the books when they come out, but I've stopped recommending it to others. (I think I'm probably spoiled by indie authors releasing books every few months).

Anyway, I think it would be great to have some UFLitRPG.

Matthew James and Paul Bellow like this.
  3. DarkLordCorwin

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't really fret about his release dates because he was so consistent in taking roughly a year between book releases. I can live with a month or two extra to polish it. It's just that he was working on those other series, first Codex Alera, which was good, and then the newest one, The Aeronaut's Windlass, part of The Cinder Spires Trilogy which slowed down his work on Dresden. I kind of wish he would finish Dresden first, but I'm at least glad he's not one of those authors that bounce around on projects whenever the mood strikes him resulting in wildly unpredictable releases. I recall one author, but not the series, claimed Book X was coming out next, a year and a half later Book Y came out instead because 1/3 of the way through Book X he lost the feel for it and gained inspiration for the other in a completely new series.

Or he could be like Brian S. Pratt, author of The Unsuspecting Mage, part of the Morcyth Saga series. I love the series, and am looking forward to the next book in the sequel series but damn it seems to be taking forever. I realize he had illnesses and real life family and financial issues to deal with, but I'm beginning to associate him with Blizzard in terms of release dates. They just keep getting pushed back a few months at a time. "We're going to release this game Fall of 2014." 6 years later the game releases in Spring 2020.

Matthew James likes this.
  4. Larakel

26%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Newbie Island
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, he was so consistent, every year. I mean, I liked Codex Alera, didn't really like Aeronaut's Windlass. I suppose not liking that might be part of why I'm losing interest, but the math is another big part.

He said it would be 21 case books and a three book trilogy to end it. But at book 12 he admitted he was only just getting to the point he expected to be at after book 9, so that puts him three books behind and potentially ups it to 27.

He's 15 books in, so there are between 9 and 12 to go.
    Book 14 was published in 2012, book 15 was published in 2015. Book 16 doesn't look likely to be out this year. At three years per book, even if he gets it back down to 9, that's still nearly three more decades.

I enjoyed the fact that it was a huge series I could read for years, but that was when I had something every year to keep me interested. Now I'm looking at it and... no. I'll read it if I notice it in a bookshop or something, but I'm not going looking for them and I'm not even a little hyped for them.

Which is a shame, because I really loved that series, and I've never lost interest in a series as much as this before. I even read WofT and SofT and they got awful in the middle. So awful.

5. DarkLordCorwin

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just don't like doing that kind of math. I would love if he could get back to putting out a book every 12 to 14 months. And to be honest, the idea of 3 extra books because of the storyline building slowly is wonderful to me as long as he maintains quality. But I plan to be reading for years, so I can wait. Yes, I might wait until more than one book is out to pick up the next one(s). But I'll still look forward to it. As long as he does finish it. My pet peeve is when an author drops a series, whether it be sales or his/her own disinterest, I feel it's a slap in the face to fans who were faithful.

6. Larakel

26%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Newbie Island
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Agreed

7. Crowbaits

Crowbaits Level 9 (Burgler) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    England - not New - the old one across the pond
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Welcome, have you read any books by Niall Teesdale. He is quite prolific and writes some pretty good urban fantasy stuff.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  8. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Welcome aboard.

9. DarkLordCorwin

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not that I'm aware of, I'll check on those as soon as I finish logging out of ESO.

10. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Welcome! Glad to have you here. I chose me, me, me, me, but in my head I altered it to meh, meh, meh, meh. If the game part is front and center, count me interested =)

11. Eden Redd

Eden Redd Sexy Witch Monster (Queen of Sexy LitRPG ) LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen

65%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  12. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Greetings.

ESO for Xbox, PS4 or on a real system, the PC?

I've got a ESO crafter who does some DPS on the side.

Wait, just realized! Mighty Mouse!

13. DarkLordCorwin

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    On PC of course. I love console gaming for a lot of stuff, but currently MMOs are not one of them. My main is an all-around crafter, 200+ traits learned so far.

Yes, it's Mighty Mouse, while I don't really recall a lot of the show other than his obvious drug addiction, the refrain from the theme song has stayed with me for decades.

14. Cadwe

Cadwe Arrogant cheeky Dragon Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

4%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Paris (France)
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    welcome welcome! i loed Alera but never managed to get interested in Dresden

15. Avatar

Avatar Level 7 (Cutpurse) Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

36%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Welcome.

Who do we need saving from?

16. Jason

Jason Troll Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Same here. I didn't care for the MC at all. The dude was to oblivious to be believable.

17. Alara Branwen

Alara Branwen Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Greetings and welcome DLC! I would really love am Urban Fantasy LitRPG! If it hit the shelf I would probably be one of the first to buy it.