Highly Recommend: King's Dark Tidings

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books' started by VRRanger, Aug 25, 2017.

1. VRRanger

VRRanger Level 12 (Rogue) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am excited to say that the third book of the King's Dark Tidings series is being released in September. For those who have read the previous two, rejoice! If you have not read it, this is a perfect time as you will not have to wait a painfully long time for book 3. If you have to wait a painfully long time for book 4; well that's not on me.
    [​IMG]

Felicity Weiss and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What's it about?

3. VRRanger

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It is about a young man who has been trained since he could walk to follow a set of rules and use his skills. He has learned all of the rules except the last two. This is someone who has done nothing but train every moment of his life with no contact with the outside world.
    When he receives those last two important rules there may be something lost in translation. At this point he faces the outside world alone.

The MC, Rezkin is well developed and the author has done an excellent job of submerging the reader into the story. There is humor in how Rezkin interacts in a society which he does not fully understand while following the rules he has been given. His thought process, fighting scenes and conversations with 'friends' are well detailed and colorful.

https://www.amazon.com/Free-Darknes...1503757016&sr=8-2&keywords=kings+dark+tidings

As an aside, this is a KU novel.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  4. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Huh. I'll check it out. Sounds interesting.

5. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think the pitch needs more. Is this LitRPG?

6. VRRanger

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It is a bit sad, huh? Sorry, been typing on my phone sporadically.....it is not litrpg, which is why I put it here.......
    In this the MC is already pretty much maxed. The enjoyment of the book is watching what he does with that knowledge. It is very much about his development as a person, how he impacts the world, and how the world impacts him.
    Man vs. Man.....not likely, but it is fun to watch others try.
    Man vs. Himself...It could have been, but he doesn't realize a conflict exists
    Man vs. Society.....definately
    Man vs. Nature...hasn't come up

I have read a lot of fantasy. This has become one of my favorite series. It does a good job of putting you as a reader a place where you know more than the main character but there are still alot of unknowns.

I also don't want to give a lot away :)

7. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    After reading the Amazon blurb, it tells me a bit more. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea though. Good luck though!

8. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think this book intentionally or not stands as a critique for the mary sue MCs that are common in fantasy literature especially LitRPG specifically I totally second this recommendation for anyone on the forums simply from that fact alone

Minor spoilers for the beginning below

I think a good summary of the book is that its like the Sherlock Holmes of fantasy he is OP you know that but he is some how still a really good character obviously the reasons why are slightly different because its fantasy but a big part of the book at least in the beginning is him reconciling with his lack of practical social skills and general agreement on morals or even common decency(he knows how to be social as it was part of his training but grew up isolated and he was born in a very cold emotionless environment) and even after its somewhat resolved it keeps coming up

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  9. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I said the same thing but you should try it, it sounds terrible but its really different then you might expect and also good even if you dont usualy like that type of book.