Hoopla and LitRPG

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Gryphon, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Latetide

Latetide Halfway to Infinity LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I missed that one. Can I read it somewhere, @Alexis Keane ?

Alexis Keane likes this.
  2. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Paul Bellow and Latetide like this.
  3. Latetide

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ahh, silly me, I wanted to say if I can read the blurb/synopsis somewhere :)

Alexis Keane likes this.
  4. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking. Could you reiterate? I can give you a synopsis here if you wish?

Latetide likes this.
  5. Latetide

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Please do!

6. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's not finished yet. But...
    An ancient moon elf necromancer tears an barrier between the universes that was designed to keep humans out. Not because he particularly likes humans or all that prophecy shit... He wanted to piss off, and hopefully kill, a goddess. There's all sort of hijinks in the first chapter, but it eventually ends with him becoming trapped within a dungeon core he had been using as a powersource.
    Meanwhile, a human from earth arrives on the world, believing it to be a dream in which he is the summoned hero (oh the disappointment...) with only a physics book and his head crammed full of useless facts for an exam...
    He needs to learn how to manipulate a mana system based on the... *ahem* three... states of matter, solid, liquid, and gas.
    He also has a working knowledge of tropes and all of the such, and believing it is a dream essentially tries to make first contact with the dungeon core... (although I haven't written that part yet... I only started writing it 7 days ago, so I'm only 17k in...)

It's been doing well though... got 50 followers, 9 favorites and 9 ratings (8 x 5*, 1 x 4.5*) in the first 30 hours or so and am sitting around rank 1100

but yeah... when I put it like that it sounds sort of bad, lol... I would say its one of those Jim Butcher 'bad premise' scenarios... oh well... It's fun to write

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Viergacht and Latetide like this.
  7. Latetide

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I kinda like the sound of it, will check it out when I have some free time.

8. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    make sure you have a lot of free time... each chapter is 5000 words (according to rrl... to everywhere else it's like 4000-5000) lol...

9. Latetide

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Let me show you my word counts :)
    upload_2017-10-23_22-21-24.png

Alexis Keane likes this.
  10. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well... That's just obscene :p Are they subdivided in any way?

11. Latetide

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I must add, though, that my scenes are usually what other people call chapters, so these word counts are somewhat misleading. The 3rd column shows how many scenes there are in each chapter.

12. Latetide

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Here is the list of the scenes in the current last chapter:
    upload_2017-10-23_22-26-17.png

13. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ch1 seems a little short in some places...
    Are they basically 7 different parts of the story? y'know, 7 part story structure and all...

14. Latetide

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I could say the chapters are usually the "settings", or significant parts of the story.

Chapter 1 is Yang's first day in the game, chapter 2 is his first actual quest/adventure. The scenes are used for two things: to switch between ingame and rl parts, but also, to switch between the scenes in the game, e.g. when he finds a ruined tavern in the ancient ruins in the second chapter, I start a new scene for that, and end it when he leaves the place.

This is why chapter 1 has short scenes; there are frequent changes in the scenery, and lots of jumping in and out of the game.

15. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  16. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I really enjoyed the Divine Dungeon series. Lots of world building and I really like the interactions between the dungeon and its wisp.

Not really sure how I feel about it interacting directly with adventurers though. I'll see how that pans out when book three drops.

I also enjoyed the Ancient Dreams trilogy. It wasn't really a dungeon Core series, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. I especially liked how the author handled the more physical stuff. It's super hard to write a decent sex scene and I appreciate it when authors don't even try, since it really does nothing at all for me whatsoever; this is one area where I generally can do a better job than most. So I generally skip over the sex scenes in books and don't consider myself to have lost much of anything by doing so.

With the "fade to black" method though, I don't get taken out of the book at all and can just keep reading.

I've also read most of the others on this list, but the only other one that sticks out in my mind is Skyler Grant's "the Laboratory". I really don't like her(? I think that's a feminine name anyway?) writing style at all and it was more of the same for me. If you enjoyed her other books, you'll probably enjoy this one, but if not then it's a hard pass.

17. Latetide

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Laboratory actually got a bit better by the end, but need to agree that it's an acquired taste.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.