Hopelessly Drawn to This Type of Book

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books' started by Felicity Weiss, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have a soft spot for MCs that, well not dumb really but tend to be understated (and they put in the effort to be so!) while hiding some grand power within.

This Type of MC usually wants a normal life and has greatness forced on him while fighting against it with all his might! and prat falls, never forget prat falls.

A girl appreciates a man that can make her laugh ;)

James G Patton likes this.
  2. John Ward

John Ward Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What are prat falls?

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  3. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  4. Halimah

Halimah Level 5 (Veteran) Citizen

37%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sucker for a Dark Elf, traveling to a different world or dimension, magic.

5. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am a sucker for books with monster protagonists. Give me an adventuring group composed of a centaur, a werewolf, a half-dragon, a troll and a shambling mound . . . elves and dwarves are a little too boring.

I also like books that are more humorous than serious.

Tom Gallier and Felicity Weiss like this.
  6. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I love playing centaurs in MMO's!

7. VRRanger

VRRanger Level 12 (Rogue) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And pray-tell how many centaur playing MMO's are there?

Tom Gallier likes this.
  8. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There lies the rub.

I think an all "monster" cast of characters would be fun to write, but I'm not sure of the audience. And personally, the idea of a Centaur or Minotaur MC is awesome.

9. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I figure the only thing holding them back is it's probably harder to program something built like a centaur, rather than a troll/minotaur/alien that's basically a biped. Extra limbs, taking up more horizontal space and whatnot. Also there tends to be a repetitious aspect to fantasy worlds in games and there isn't a huge amount of material with centaur characters to inspire them.

Anyways I've seen a couple books where the MC spawns accidentally as a monster, and some straightforward fantasies starring goblin MCs so I think the audience is there.

10. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  11. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There's actually a few litRPGs where the MC is a goblin, or a Very Important Character at least.

I forget the names, but there's one about a half orc necromancer, one about a goblin Herbalist (where the entire cast is pretty much comprised of monstrous races), one where a dude is reborn as a monster that I haven't read yet, and a number of living dungeon novels. You'd probably enjoy the Divine Dungeon series, the standalone "A Living Dungeon", and the Ancient Dreams trilogy (although the dungeon isn't exactly the MC, and it's ... different).

Viergacht likes this.
  12. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Are goblins really monsters id honestly consider them suicidal hominids with large numbers and a dark affiliation rather then monsters themselfs just like some(me and assuming others) people dont consider books with a vampire MC monster books

VRRanger likes this.
  13. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Depends on the universe, really. In most, they're considered monstrous races.

14. Viergacht

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd say they were monsters, since they're not creatures from the real world. Or monstrous humanoids, at least. Kind of a pathetic buttmonkey of a monster, but still monsters.

15. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I made mine more human than monster - with an Asian flavor...

Tom Gallier likes this.
  16. Viergacht

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yum, szechuan goblins :)

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  17. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    For some reasons this made me think of a Gremlins movie set in medieval Japan, where Samurai and civilians have to battle the gremlins after a ninja assassin dumps a Mogwai into a city well. Cherry blossoms falling, green blood and red blood splattered all over bamboo floor mats and those wood framed paper walls and sliding doors. Throw in some snow and hot spring monkeys boxing gremlins.

18. Viergacht

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I had a story idea about a kaiju attacking medieval Japan, but I don't know enough about the time period to write it, and I don't have enough free time to study up on it.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  19. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought the warring states period in Japan was pretty ingrained into pop culture here in the US? I don't know that I'd call the Edo period really "medieval" though, or the Meiji Restoration.

If you like anime you can watch some historical anime for inspiration. Period pieces are usually pretty accurate too, like Kurosawa movies.

20. Mike Litoris

Mike Litoris Level 4 (Warrior) Citizen Aspiring Writer

90%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I feel ensnared every time I come across a description that portrays a protagonist who grows over-time into some powerful individual. Whether that's someone whose totally evil or completely not evil... Well, it doesn't matter... As long as some person (usually a teen or young adult in college) gets powerful (money, superpowers, supernatural, etc) and then does whatever they want... OH! I also always fall for the best friend character whose completely weak compared to the main character and needs the MC to defend them. YUP! You can probably just find out my tropes by reading my Goodreads profile... AND YES, there are more books that I haven't put on my Goodreads... Probably because it's like another 400 books and I don't feel like going through my online books and looking them up for HOURS AND HOURS!!!!