How Enchantments were Made

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Commander Azure, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Commander Azure

Commander Azure Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So...how were enchantments made? So far, the only way to learn enchantments is for someone to teach you, or a Magic Forge, but how did the forge/teacher get those enchantments (there probably is an enchantment book of some sort too)?

The only way to get new enchantments we know of is Essence Enchanters. In addition, Richter has a spell that lets him do specific schools of magic underwater and I think it was implied that someone created it (please find the quote). So maybe all enchantments were originally spells people made and then paid Essence Enchanters to transform? But then how did those Essence Enchanters level their Enchanting skill? There has to be some start to this...

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  2. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Tech tree and research

"Enchantments I"
    Probably will start off with things like +1 damage, +1 defense, +1 Stat Point, etc. slightly altering the the piece or the bearer of the piece in question, before progressing to things like goblin and gnome slaying and such.

Joe Schmoe and Cire122 like this.
  3. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dangerous experimentation with forces better left alone

4. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

82%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Research, lots of hard Research and Experimentation, and a dash of luck.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Captain BlackJack and Cire122 like this.
  5. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 10 (Filcher) Citizen

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Land is a created thing. It didn't have to be created as a blank slate where the first sentient beings had to start from scratch. It is also possible that enchantment books or scrolls exist. These could be found in the Labyrinth if nowhere else.

6. Dragon

Dragon Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    research into the nature of magic.
    Spell theory is likely the origin. From there possibly imbuement, which as far as I can tell is just enchanting without the structures (we know of an imbued potion, i'm unsure whether the ship uses imbuement or a different kind of magic. Its also possible imbuement comes after enchantments or on a different branch entirely).

Following on that Runes, assuming that builds on enchantments. There might be a higher version, say True Words, the universal language.

Somewhere on the tree lesser magical scripts are also unlocked.
    tldr
    I'd assume enchantments is unlocked as a branch far up the magic research tree. Runes even Later.

7. Andrew Lynas

82%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Indeed, much was likely imported when th The Land was created or from contact with other Realms, Planes & Realities, as well as from the Labyrinth. The rest was probably created by Research and Experimentation, with some lucky Inspiration and accidents. Maybe in very rare occurrences the Universe might give things a nudge as well.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  8. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Originals could have brought enchantments to the Land. We know they had been around for a very long time. They had destroyed whole worlds. Then the powers of the universe made the Land the lock to their imprisonment. The courts could have given their servants in the lands enchantments trying to over come the others.

9. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Speaking of enchantments. Since we found out in book 1 or 2 that Ricthers place of power amplifies his enchanting and spell castin abilities we haven’t seen one single item enchanted there. I for one am very disappointed in that. All we have seen him do is dispel the ice mages staff. Then he traded it off. I would think having written that into the story so early that his enchanting there would be well developed by book 8. I understand he has been enchanting in the forgery. That still isn’t where his enchanting powers are maxed out. Why put that in the story at all? Especially if he isn’t ever going to use it. At this point I am really fearful that is going to be a problem for Aleron. It appears Aleron writes in things that will never be used finished or fulfilled. It really bothers me most with unfinished quest.

10. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    To me it seems quite realistic that Richter would forget details about things he is told once, has no option of writing down, and then goes months without using.

I know from experience that most of the programmers I work with cannot remember the setup of a project they worked on six months ago. Let alone details told them in passing when they were given a ton of other more immediately important information. That's the reason we have notes.

All of that said, I agree Richter should definitely use his place of power more. I imagine it would boost his abilities with magic significantly.

We have definite evidence that it boosts the chances of success for village spells such as curse removal, used by Richter in book 1.

Is there evidence that enchantments would be affected or is that an educated guess?

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  11. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wonder what benefits a Master might have had from being present in the chamber when his place of power leveled.

12. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If Ricther were to use his Sepulcher troops mixed into teams to achieve his villages quest and his PoP quest we could see. Ricther practice his enchanting at the great seal while they are fulfilling his quest would put him in the right spot.

13. ShoughtLoud

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought it only applied to the settlement spells

14. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It already levelled - well awakened is the correct term i suppose.

15. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It very well could be. But wouldn’t that be HIGHLY disappointing. Any magic that Ricther cast using one of his four ley lines should be greatly magnified there. The High ambient mana should even saturate things left left within range. I would like to see Ricther place some of his magic crystal in the direct line of his PoPs energies flow. Life, water, dark, and air magic energy infused to his magical crystal could give a bonus to anything enchanted with those Magic’s. It might even help Ricther as he cast if he consumes it like he did the blood crystal.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  16. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So you don’t think Ricther will have anymore PoP quest?

Dragon likes this.
  17. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh I thought you wanted to conquer the kobolds to level the village.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    ShoughtLoud likes this.
  18. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 13 (Assassin) Roleplaying Exiles Citizen

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    his pop is lvl 1. with air @lvl1, with dark@lvl1, etc...
    so when he levels up all powers to lvl 2.. boom pop is ;lvl 2 and new spells appear or old ones are upgraded

19. ShoughtLoud

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He should also be able to buy a bunch of spells with a caster's chamber. Should be near the top of the list of things he needs from HM, since she very likely has one.

20. Andrew Lynas

82%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A Casters Chamber would also be a good candidate for a Core Building.