How have others reacted to futurist/Singularitarian ideas and concepts?

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Yuli Ban, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    When it comes to talking about futuristic technologies, how have those around you (i.e. loved ones, friends, strangers, and internet comments) reacted?

Five years ago, the Daily Mail mentioned FutureTimeline.net in a piece about future sci-tech predictions. It didn't go very well.

2. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It depends on who I'm talking to.

My SO and I love science and advancements and tend to share and get interested in recent scientific developments.

My family? Well... Let's just say they're quite religious and voted for Trump. So they don't like the idea of change or advancement very much.

3. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Poorly.

Most people I know in RL are either rooted in the here and now OR in stuck in a past decade (70's for some odd reason). They scoff at any futuristic themed thing be it fiction or an actual theory.

Online I think the response is a bit of a mixed bag and depends on how the subject is presented more than the subject itself. And that is taking into consideration that the audience are people into this kind of thing.

Personally I like a good futuristic idea so long as it's not a nihilistic, humans = crap one. I'm just bored of them, it's starting to sound like your loser uncle's imitation of grandpa when he goes on and on about "the youth of today" "That damn music/games rotting your mind" and of course "back in my day".

I don't know about other people but I come from a large family and know at least twenty people over the age of 80. NONE OF THEM TALKS LIKE THIS! It's usually the middle aged ones that do!

I'm not saying build a utopia just come up with an interesting concept that'll make think! That's what good sci-fi does.

Yuli Ban and Jay like this.