How much VR and how much RL?

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Joshua Mason, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Joshua Mason

Joshua Mason Steam Whistle Alley LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've read (or listened to) a bunch of litrpg. Do you folks prefer getting more RL backstory before getting thrust into VR, occasional breaks from the VR, or full immersion with no explanation from page one? I'm listening to Everybody Loves Large Chests at the moment, and it frustrating to be thrown in without knowing what they're playing or having any real world context whatsoever. Other than that its a fun listen.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I prefer full immersion once the story gets going, mainly because most of the things I've read, the RL story is either dull or a cliche storm.

3. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I really like RL if the author can manage to do it I also get really annoyed by stores that give you 2 minutes of RL backstory and then act like they have built a character best case they gain all of there character in the game world worst case the author continues to write as if telling us the MC is a gamer who got fired and needs a job is enough to explain a backstory

well that was much more ranty then expected

4. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like a good mix of real life added in to the gameplay. It gives characters depth, but it’s hard to balance and do right.

Continue Online did it the best of all the LitRPG I’ve read so far.