How to level the Smithy

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ALL THESE - Research Points!

I haven't updated the old list, but I wanted to go over what they should research. I might need to tack this tread into the All These Research Points.

So in book 7 we have seen that they need masterwork to advance the Magic Smithy known as the Forge of Heavens (because you can see the heavens while at the forge). What RP is needed to make this happen the quickest? For those (like me) that think they should not bother, just side table that.

The techs I am thinking of are

1. Metallurgy II. Cost: 214 Research Points. Successful research will decrease the amount of metal needed to make arms and armor by 5%. (Tech advanced by one level due to inherent knowledge of villager in the Job: Smith) *Requires access to smithy.
      1. Alloy I. Cost: 202 Research Points. Experiment with new combinations of metals to increase their capabilities. Successful research will increase the likelihood of forming new alloys. This tech also increases the durability and either attack or defense of new alloys by 10%. *Requires: Access to smithy + whichever metals need to be experimented with. **Metals used in this research will be slowly consumed.
      2. Smelter I. Cost: 254 Research Points. Increased heat in the smelter allows for greater malleability of worked metals. Successful research will increase production speed of forged items by 10%.
      3. Smithing Tools II. Cost: 396 Research Points. Refine the tools used to create the weapons of your people. Successful research will increase the chance of your smiths to create arms and armor of higher qualities.
        1. Keen Edge I. Cost: 362 Research Points. Edged weapons created by your smith will have 5% better armor penetration.
        2. Improved Balance I. Cost: 426 Research Points. Your smiths will learn to make weapons with better balance. Attack speed on anyone using these weapons will be improved by 5%.
    2. Astronomy II. Cost: 105 Research Points. Successful research will give your people a basic idea of how to predict the movement of the stars, planets, and other cosmic bodies.
      1. Astrology I: Cost: 117 Research Points. Obtaining this tech will give a rudimentary understanding of how the movements of the cosmos can predict events in The Land.
      2. Forge of Heavens: Cost: 138 Research Points [purchased]. This technology will unlock a branch of research that is specific to your Core building, the Forge of Heavens. (Unique)
        1. Learn Enchantments I (Forge of Heavens): Cost: 294 Research Points. This tech will increase the chance of the Forge learning new enchantments by 5%
        2. Predict Auspicious Times II: Cost: 204 Research Points. Provides increased knowledge of specific dates and times to forge weapons and armor in order to obtain extra effects (at least 2 a month)
        3. Elementum Bonus to Spell barriers I (Forge of Heavens): Cost: 438 Research Points. This tech will increase the spell barrier penetration of Forge of Heaven Weapons by 20%.
        4. Elementum Bonus to Spell Resistance I (Forge of Heavens): Cost: 437 Research Points. This tech will increase the spell resistance given to each piece of armor by 20%.
    Attached images are not correct, but they are close enough for a general idea.
    Screenshot_20200406-164123~3.png Screenshot_20200406-164152~2.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  2. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So the low hanging fruit is if smithing tools tech will provide a better chance than auspicious times.

He can research auspicious times 7 times for what seems to be at least 7 auspicious times per month.

He can research smithing tools for +10% chance for higher quality arms and armour. We don't know how many times this can be upgraded, but it seems at least up to +100%.

3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Soldiering would be my choice as of this moment. Its a passive bonus thats good no matter the situation or whether you are level 5 or level 50.

4. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sorry this is just for the forge of Heavens. But that is a good choice.

5. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So it is. Sorry about that

In that case I would divide my strategy into two phases. Baseproduction enhancements and quality enhancements.

1) I'd take a risky bet on construction, because I think its the most likely technology to unlock mining as it is already related to quarrying. Better mining techniques means more ore harvested in a shorter timespan, which means less time spent on preparations and consequently more time spent smithing. At worst we'd be able to move some people from the quarries and into the mine due to the increased quarry output (unless the quarry is being mined exclusively by mistworkers, which I find unlikely given their total lack of intelligence. Quarrying isn't just swinging a tool around).

Other than that I would focus on smelting techs and metallurgy. It seems to me smelter 1 should also have an effect on how rapidly they can turn ore into bars, rather than only how fast they can turn said bars into forged weapons. The smelter is hotter either way.

Metallurgy decreases the amount of metal needed for the same effect, meaning less time spent on preparations and more time for forging. It may also mean the items will need less time to heat up and fewer blows of the hammer, but thats up to Aleron as it seems to be pretty much magic.

By upping the speed at which the smiths can produce without lowering quality or pushing themselves harder (still an option), we enable them to increase the number of items they can put out per day with no drawbacks. This in turn means greater skillgain for the smiths increasing the chance that any particular item will be a masterpiece as they level, and it will boost the effect of phase two quality enhancements because there will be more items for those enhancements to affect.

2) Here my first choice would be smithing tools. The 10% increased chance of higher levelled items coming out should have good synergy with our increased base production.

Finally I would go for Alloys. Its less usefull than the others, but discovering new alloys sounds like it would allow for fairly rapid skillgain for the smiths involved in the research. The new alloys could also prove easier to make allowing them to speed up production further.

The remaining techs would be secondary. Might be good, but I expect they would add little to the amount of masterlevel weapons produced. The weapons would be better for their quality level, but the quality level would be the same.

Cire122 and Johan like this.
  6. 2tymes

2tymes Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Citizen

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I always wondered about the auspicious times. Does it only work on one item created at a time or if enough high quality items are crafted at said auspicious time will they both get the upgrade. Say Krom and the other dwarf (can’t remember his name) craft something exquisite. And they both have gems that coincides with a celestial body. @that moment would both items get the perk

7. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Tough but I think any should get it. The issue I see is that it would probably only be on the main anvils. That there are two, so it should work for two people.

8. Commander Azure

Commander Azure Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The spoiler drop down menu thing says "Allows", not "Alloys". Just pointing that out. I definitely think that the auspicious times would be best because it is likely that as it levels, they will get a deeper understanding of when those auspicious times are (among other things) which may allow them to predict more than the allotted number each month.

9. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A bold move indeed. Hopefully the next blueprints available will be known in book 9. There might just be a mining camp if Mason's shop won't do it.

I really like the idea of researching alloys to increase skill. They already know steel and high steel. Now we need Titan steel! Hopefully metallurgy works on alloy research too.

Because I have little faith in the skill of the dwarves to get the job done, I would also have to put my research into auspicious time.

10. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He should Research Basic Spell Theory, I suspect that it would be beneficial to Spell Casting, as well as helping in the success of Learning New Spells and in the Modifying of existing Spells and further on the Modifying of Enchantments. I also suspect that it would have Further benefits to Richter as the Lord of a Place of Power. Also would likely help with the Lore Skill and certain Quests. Plus it's Research Cost is Cheap.

11. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would like to know how smithing tools work. First the Smith's should be able to purchase a set of elementium tools from the forge. Because I suspect that when smithing tools tech is researched, a new set of tools must be made.

If the forge can supply instantly upgraded core quality smithing tools, I would go for the smithing tools upgrade. How far can that tech go? No one knows. Maybe if it is maxed out another line of research is available.

12. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would focus on FoH specific research right now, rather than research like metalurgy or smithing tools. Richter should make a specific effort to obtain a wide array of basic techs through theft or purchase. Unique or specialized techs are a better investment because they cannot be sourced through other means.

13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    True in theory. The problem is we don't know where they would acquire those techs apart from researching them themselves. The HT should have all t3 and t4 techs unlocked at a minimum, as even without researchers they would get 3 points a day passively. I do not think they have access to forge technology however because they do not use forges. So we need a different source, which we do not have nor do we know when if ever such a source will become apparent.

We also do not know what is required to share technology with other settlements. How much work and effort is required to create a tech manual? Probably a whole lot, more than expertise books, and scaling with tech tier.

14. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It promises all smithing tools will be 10% higher caliber, which includes existing ones. I imagine its only FOH tools, but we don't know that for certain. As for buying smithing tools, I think that would be possible in return for points.

15. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A significant change in the text. I would go with book 5, seeing how book 7 has the incorrect tech for smithing tools. I wonder which "beta" he got to make that tech table in book 7.

Smithing Tools I. Cost: 207 Research Points. Better tools increase the chance of a higher quality product. Successful research will increase the chance of your smiths to create arms and armor of higher qualities.

Congratulations! You have researched: Smithing Tools I. Smiths in your settlement will now have an increased chance to make higher quality weapons and armor.

Smithing Tools II. Cost: 396 Research Points. Refine the tools used to create the weapons of your people. Successful research will increase the chance of your smiths to create arms and armor of higher qualities.

Smithing Tools I. [Cost:] 207 [Research Points]. Increases the caliber of all smithing tools by 10%. Increases the chance of your smiths to create arms and armor of higher quality by 10%.

Or it all would have been background stuff anyway and the tools didn't actually physically change.

16. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @Johan Bro! Whats the quest for leveling Core Forge? make 100 Master quality items? easy.

We rip the TITAN steel cubby from dark aberration cave(1 ton?), then Rip out the titan steel door the the UNSECURE vault(200 kg)..
    Smelt it. ~1.1 ton of titan steel
    Make shields armors weapons from higher lvl titan steel lvl up
    I believe shield wall from such a super great metal would be invincible, also helmets. Helmets save lives!! Make them with re breathers and Glass eye sockets.
    Yes dungeon has an inaccessible treasury so no need for the local vault with a lvl 9 guard lol. what is he guarding agains? a rat? Master Vamp will get to the vault, impossible in the Dungeon.
    For crying out loud just dig a random hole in the ground and hide stuff there, also make a ton of traps in the original vault.

2. Also just drag high level carcasses to Krom, f.e. from the Hell Mauler he should be able to make multiple sets of high quality items..
    Litch bones should help leveling Richter enchanting too

3. Lets just tame some high level beast like Tier 2 Worms..
    And And & just cut some parts of them every day and give it to Krom for leveling his skills.. They do regenerate..

4. Really unhappy about the missing tech for smiting, Its like missing basic items to make potions: unacceptable and just not cool.
    I mean like its so basic and we don't have it.. But Hey Damascus steel was not invented in a day...
    I approve of meteorology research, core building leveling, but lacking basic tools and metallurgy..
    I mean Dwarf's should have and exclusive knowledge about it and wisdom from tales and myths who what how..
    well you know what I mean.

5. Chaos sea items, High level schematics, rings, etc.. Kindr have a lvl 4 schematic that Richto simply gave away f** Krom.. yeah.. epic.

6. Luck potions & other potions for enhanced performance.

7. Power smiting with bards songs, buffs from food, and spell casters casting haste on u and similar useful spells.

8. Investigate & share knowledge with sprites and how they do the forging. Trade tech with Elfs or beasts..

9. Training cross related skills for maybe some bonuses to smiting like mining?

I'm great or what.

Johan likes this.
  17. Commander Azure

Commander Azure Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What. Definitely not great. *Chuckles maniacally*

18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not bad ideas. A distinction to keep in mind is that a weapon made out of the finest materials can still be trash, and a bronze weapon without any enchantments or extra bonuses can still be master quality. Quality is a distinct characteristic mostly seperate from the materials used as well as what bonuses are added, with the exception of a few things that specifically impact quality level. You could find a common quality blade with better stats than a master quality blade, though not as good as it would have been if the common blade had been master quality.

tldr
    Higher quality level boosts weapon stats, but higher weapon stats does not increase quality level.

4) The problem is its not what the dwarves know about smithing and mining thats the important factor, its what Krom knows about the science behind what he has been trained to do. Medieval smiths did not have an extensive knowledge of science, nor did they develop new alloys all the time. I guess he should be able to help with forgerelated research though.

19. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What we need are enchanted smithing tools. Tools that give an increase to the rate of skill progression. If I remember correctly there was a weapon that such a thing to it's own skill advancement. The only item I can think of that would do something similar would be an the steel magic forge.

You have supplied the metal: Steel. Offensive Trait: Increased skill leveling with the skill relevant to that weapon Defensive Trait: Increased skill leveling with the skill relevant to that armor

Jorgun's war axe had a accuracy Enchantment, maybe that would also work for smithing tools.

You have found: Balanced War Axe Damage: 17-21 Durability: 72/83 Item Class: Common Quality: Exceptional Weight: 4.1 kg Traits: +10% to Accuracy

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm thinking it should have an effect on the smiths accuracy rather than the tool being more accurate, but I don't know. Partial gameworld after all.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020