Hunter X Hunter (2011)

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga, Light Novels' started by Readsalot, May 12, 2017.

1. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    First one:

Hunter X Hunter (2011).

https://myanimelist.net/anime/11061/Hunter_x_Hunter_2011

Hunter X Hunter is ranked #6 on My Anime List's Top Anime Series of All-Time and has an approval rating of 91%.

Synopsis:

"Hunter x Hunter is set in a world where Hunters exist to perform all manner of dangerous tasks like capturing criminals and bravely searching for lost treasures in uncharted territories. Twelve-year-old Gon Freecss is determined to become the best Hunter possible in hopes of finding his father, who was a Hunter himself and had long ago abandoned his young son. However, Gon soon realizes the path to achieving his goals is far more challenging than he could have ever imagined."

Before you ask: No, this is not for children. Despite the fact that Gon is only 12 years old, he soon encounters a world where neither size nor age matters: Only your will, skill and strength. As the series progresses, it gradually gets darker and darker and you realise why this series is so popular and beloved.

Like all good RPGs (even though this is a fantasy series, not a game or RPG series) the characters get to level up as they progress, gaining new powers and skills, gaining in strength - and also facing increasing powerful opponents.

This is Gon. Friendly little guy, right?

[​IMG]

This is Gon: Angry.

[​IMG]

This is Gon: Completely losing his s...

[​IMG]

There are also a whole bunch of other characters, and fortunately Hunter X Hunter spends some time exploring all of them.

[​IMG]

So what are you waiting for?

2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The cute/angry shots remind me of the giant, menacing Teddy Bear in Akira. Yin / Yang.

Readsalot likes this.
  3. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    First rule in anime:

[​IMG]

(This is Natsu, from Fairy Tail, another great fantasy anime. I might include it later but, while it is also one of my favourites and absolutely fantastic, it is not quite LitRPG, as the characters don't really level up. Most of them already have their powers and skills, though most of them, especially Natsu, do get more powerful as they get angrier.)

4. Apollos

Apollos Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Citizen

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Great anime! Even if the animation in the manga is terrible, it's still enjoyable.

BTW, the game his father makes for him is one of my favorite litrpgish archs in anime.

Readsalot and Paul Bellow like this.
  5. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Re-watching this with my brother at the moment. It's only now that I've had time to compare it with other anime that I realise how brilliant this show actually is. I watched HxH not long after I got into anime, and loved every minute of it. But only now, that I've had time to watch other shows, can I truly judge the excellence of not just the writing, but the voice acting, the soundtrack, the character development, the depth and richness of the world they have developed...

Best of all, I'm just a few episodes from the Greed Island arc, which (as if you didn't know) is where the characters physically enter a game world to complete a quest:

"The game transports a player’s physical body into the world of Greed Island and will only be returned to the real world after the player dies or when the player activates a card that will let them return. Because of the level of difficulty and danger of the game, only people who can use Nen (something like chi/energy/force) are allowed to play. Players are to collect 100 restricted slot cards to complete their card binder and win the game. There are also other types of cards, like spell cards and unrestricted slot cards, that players can collect that may aid them in their journey."

[​IMG]

Seagrim likes this.