QUEST Ideas for LitRPG Reads posts...

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Paul Bellow, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've done Dragonlance, Grey Hawk, Dark Sun, Forgotten Realms... and more.

What are some ideas you have for posts at LitRPG Reads that will draw gamers or readers here or to the mailing list? I'm giving 5000 GOLD for each idea I use.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

Matthew James likes this.
  2. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ShadowRun,

Japanese Light Novel Print Size & Picture format VS American Print Size w/ American YA lack of pictures (mostly youth novels like Harry Potter & old Robinson Crusoe / Historical Texts have chapter pictures),

Wuxia & Xianxia (cultivation vs strictly level based system),

Conventions that LitRPG might piggy back off of & actual LitRPG conventions (credit where credit is due),

Card Game / Board Game LitRPG Story Ideas: Jumanji / Zathura. Finish up with TV to Boardgame,

Vancian Magic,

World Building Resources: many sub articles if you feel like doing the research... one man tv-tropes and wikipedia Paul Bellow! Vikings, Native Americans, Horse Riding Primer, Architecture, Medieval Survival, etc.,

Expanding the Cultural Horizons of LitRPG: Into the Badlands based on Journey to the West (loosely), Abyss Odyssey game based on "Mapuche Mythology" by its Chileain devs (cool art, bad reviews), Shinto Shrines gave Log Horizon its Shrine Maiden class & Touhou Project's protagonist, probably other examples and "cultureless" amalgamations like Last Knight w/ Clive Owen,

Foreign WebNovel Translations that are LitRPG (A sort of BREAKING! / HEADSUP! Alert that will drive traffic to other sites...): this is a tough one because quality can vary so much based on protein vs ramen intake of translators, they pick up and drop stories like nobodies business because they are paying for their own materials and usually honing their language skills or just as obsessive about the content. Less of a full length article and more of a way to get a more varied audience dropping in.

"Bicameralism as a plot device?" Will Westworld introduce the phases of bicameralism from the novel The Origins of Consciousness (which I've never read) in a structured way to show a break down in the morals from the "machines" as they go into season two? (from the breakdown section of the wiki on the topic) Will the machines have the opportunity to wipe out other machines "innate" programmed personalities and murder the "bad" hosts to recreate their formerly peaceful immortal lives and increase trust? Will this be a common trope in LitRPG, from Snow Crash to any story with AI? What is murder in virtual reality.

David Langford has an "As Others See Us" segment in his fanzine in which (wikipedia claims) others use Sci-Fi as a pejorative to insult the genre alongside its writers and fans. Way lower hanging fruit with an "As Others See LitRPG" segment where you can copy paste (and give credit!) to highly opinionated LitRPG fans who want to play Goldilockes and have everything just right. Revenge of the bad reviews consolidated in a post, at the very least you'll get pillory nominations from other writers: until LitRPG is popular enough for people to insult the genre like they do (according to wikipedia) Science Fiction. (Looking this up was how I stumbled on Bicameralism)

Hitting enter and editing as I think em up!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Felicity Weiss and Paul Bellow like this.
  3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ooh ShadowRun is a good idea. I just picked up the video game on steam for $10... Like I have time to play haha

We did this on light novels already, but maybe another one is in order...

https://litrpgreads.com/blog/light-novel-examples

Here's 5,000 gold for the ShadowRun reminder!

Seagrim and Matthew James like this.
  4. Matthew James

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Goooooold! The ShadowRun Returns release was a blast for me. I did a terrible as hell double shaman team, but my charisma was baller so I racked up a bunch of points. Don't bother with the troll lady, she hates everyone and there is no satisfying her dumb ass. I didn't do hardly any of the side missions, but I nearly beat the game after losing 2 of my team members in the first part of the last mission. Got to the final boss fight and didn't have the people for the fight mechanics, had a good time shooting stuff though, at least it wasn't doable with my setup.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    New bounty!

This item can only be bought (and seen) by @Matthew James currently. (It's in the Armor and Weapons shop...)

If I use your LitRPG Reads blog post idea, I'll add your name to the list so you can buy this limited edition virtual item!

limited.JPG

6. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Swanky, I noticed his different colored background but hadn't known it was unique. Pretty cool paul ^.^

Matthew James and Paul Bellow like this.
  7. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Actually, anyone can get the grey background. Maybe I should've made that limited edition! It's the backpack in your store that does it, actually. (It's grey on the inside...)

We're gonna eventually need an item that just defaults everything back to normal. Haha. It's been interesting to see the colors pop-up. For the record, I'm color blind - i.e. i can see colors, but variations give me trouble...

8. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  9. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's there, I like to think that the tinge of grey lends your posts gravitas hehe.

Matthew James and Paul Bellow like this.
  10. Matthew James

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'll go with a light blue once I find one, have ADD, downloading stuff on stupid phone, reading, and updating the forum over here while trying to come up with more ideas.

#3CABF3

Figure it will match the LitRPG Forum design already so other people won't hate it.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  11. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The grey is very light variation...

slightvariation.JPG

12. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay, @Matthew James Just lemme know. No rush. The item's created. I should just have to change the color code. Hopefully that doesn't [CURSE] it haha.

13. Matthew James

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It will need an expanding Lore description if it does pick up a curse. I'm sure Jason (or whoever has the devil avatar pic) will see a blue as missing the opportunity for a pure black or blood red. But sky blue and white clouds in my pic already, bring on the colors.

#3CABF3

Paul Bellow likes this.
  14. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yay... it worked. Altho I wish it changed the color of the text too... I'll add that to the list for the developer after Xenforo 2.0 is released later this year...

I can lighten it a bit more if you want. This is your special item for now! Haha.

15. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  16. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There I lightened it a bit. Hope you don't mind. The text is readable now tho ;)

[​IMG]

17. Matthew James

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I totally understand that, you've got the power so just tweak it to see if it can come in a bit clearer with the text, or go ahead and make Jason happy lol.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  18. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's all any of us here for, right? lol

19. Matthew James

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Looks good to me! I'm just finally getting around to extracting all my notes for "What is LitRPG?" into a format that will actually get me some more mileage within the chapters. That and I fell into a imdb blackhole.

Paul Bellow likes this.