I'm confused

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Tom Gallier, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Is it "GAMELIT" or "GAMERLIT"

I'm seeing more "gamerlit" references, but when I search both I see more "gamelit" books show up on Amazon.

I want to designate my books correctly. We need a governing authority. LitRPG vs Gamelit vs Gamerlit, versus all of the other manefestions of "LitRPG genre"

It's all so confusing. It was so much easier when it was all LitRPG. Humans have a knack for complicating everything.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was under the impression it's GameLit, but I'm not too involved with it.

3. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Blaise Corvin coined it as GameLit I believe.

4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Didn't @Zachariah Dracoulis and crew come up with it then Blaise started the FB Group for it?

Now I'm confused! HAha

5. FrustratedEgo

FrustratedEgo Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm fairly sure it's GameLit - and he didn't coin the name but certainly repurposed it to a larger scale. It had originally come from some part of Richard Mulder's group - they had bounced it around a lot then did a quick campaign to use the term and it flopped.

Blaise was like "WELL SCREW ALERON'S BID FOR WORLD DOMINATION" and backed away to the broader term.

Anyway, that's all drama that amuses me but doesn't answer the question. GameLit.

I mean it's all Dragon Lance novels.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. FrustratedEgo

FrustratedEgo Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No, he utterly renamed half his groups then started a few more for GameLit to get it reserved before Aleron could get in charge. It's like children screaming DIBS over chairs. I CALL DIBS.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  7. Gryphon

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sorry, I follow BC and not the others on Twitter. I saw him say it there and on Reddit, so I took it as him creating it. My bad.

FrustratedEgo likes this.
  8. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ENACT THE BANISHMENT!

lol j/k

9. FrustratedEgo

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No worries. Blaise is successful by being visible. That's part of why his usage of the term gained a lot more traction than not "Richard but the other" guy's usage. Zach.

10. Gryphon

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No! Not the Superman 2 floating window in space! NO!!!!!

Paul Bellow likes this.
  11. Dustin Tigner

Dustin Tigner Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen

14%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Utah, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's GameLit. You can review the simple site at GameLit.org. There is also GameLit Society on FB, and a handful of other groups dedicated to authors and the community.

The idea behind GameLit was to become more inclusive and to spread out ownership. We didn't want one person to have full control.

There were no children screaming dibs. Just a community of authors working together to build something important to us. From my point of view, the term has done quite well for how old it is.

{ Science Fiction, Science Fantasy, Fantasy } > GameLit > LitRPG.

Arrows denote specificity, not greater-than. LitRPG is GameLit with more specific rules. GameLit is a form of the above genres, with more specific rules. This is a win-win as the "Not LitRPG" books have a better place to go.

We disbanded the Council to let GameLit grow organically. We didn't want Richard's magazine to be the sole pushing point for the genre. Matthew Sylvester pitched the idea to Blaise. Blaise created GameLit Society in part to Matthew and in part to Kong's attempt to trademark LitRPG.

Dawn (LitRPG Society's moderator) created the GameLit Society's Writer Workshop. I own the website and will keep it neutral (as compared to Kong's website, which promotes him above all others).

If you want to discuss the specifics of how the genre came about, let me know. I, and the authors I talk with daily, were there every step of the way.

As soon as the genre went public and the Council disbanded, we accepted that others may affect the genre. That's part of the plan. You can call that "flopped" though if it weren't for those who dedicated a month and their free time discussing/debating the topic, it wouldn't exist at all.

@James G Patton alerted me to this thread. Yell at him if you don't like anything I've said. ;)

12. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Back to editing with ya!

[​IMG]

Viergacht, Yuli Ban, Jay and 2 others like this.
  13. Dustin Tigner

Dustin Tigner Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen

14%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Utah, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay... :( lol

Paul Bellow likes this.
  14. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I liked everything you said, Dustin. I'm all for more inclusion, and against any exclusion. Long live Gamelit!

Paul Bellow and Dustin Tigner like this.
  15. Zachariah Dracoulis

Zachariah Dracoulis God Emperor of LitRPG (I can be an egotist too) LitRPG Author Citizen

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Heh, I came here to say more or less exactly what @Dustin Tigner said, and I'll also add that I didn't rename any groups. I made the original GameLit page and the original Council page.
    And it didn't flop, at least not in my eyes, it did what it was supposed to do which was cement that it was a genre for everyone. This meant that when someone big (who turned out to be Blaise) found the genre they couldn't claim 'ownership' of GameLit.
    Also, I resent it being inferred that I'm a 'child calling dibs', though if you choose to believe that, that's like, just your opinion maaaan. *And does Blaise count in this description?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Viergacht and Paul Bellow like this.
  16. Zachariah Dracoulis

Zachariah Dracoulis God Emperor of LitRPG (I can be an egotist too) LitRPG Author Citizen

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Myself and the others who originally founded GameLit were working toward something great, but the truth is that following a chaotic 48 hours of disagreements, miscommunication, and a great deal of drama that I'll take my part of the blame for, we disbanded. This was seen as the best thing to do in order for GameLit to survive.
    Then, after everything had calmed down and we were all more or less on speaking terms again, Blaise and Matthew started talking and Blaise made the Society.
    I think this is a good time to mention that I had already invited Blaise to the original group, but he didn't believe it had enough professionals in it in terms of business acumen.
    Anyway, following the launch of Society things have blown up, which is most definitely thanks to Blaise.
    However, I maintain that my and others decisions to have groups ready before Blaise's launch was a good thing as it ensured that people still had something to point to and go 'That's where GameLit came from.'

Paul Bellow likes this.
  17. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How you been, bro?

Zachariah Dracoulis likes this.
  18. Zachariah Dracoulis

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Been good, enjoying some time with the tiny human between writing bouts, you?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  19. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Busy but good. Moved to a new city. Settled in and working on re-launching Tower of Gates... soon!

Zachariah Dracoulis likes this.