I'm going to call this, for SCIENCE!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Seagrim, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes, right now, I'm having one of those adventures in gaming referred to as Modding!

I've not been in the mood for sword and sorcery gaming. It's fun, but, every now and then a change of pace is needed. Working on getting that change of pace installed, working and modding it a bit.

This is definitely old skool. Kari and I hadn't sat and played it after a steam sale, so, now the two of us are going to be playing Fallout 3. Our first adventure out of the Vault.

Well, we will, just as soon as I can convince Windows 10 to run it with a few quality of life mods.

Windows, it's really really software...

Yes it is...Yes it is...May Bill Gates eat a blender.

Eden Redd and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Let us know how it goes. Happy hunting!

3. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well, I had to spend a few hours last night getting just a few things into Fallout, because Microsoft. I'll probably do up something more in depth later.

I haven't got my Skyrim up to previous standards. I'm in the beginnings of a run using the Enderal "mod". It's not really a mod, it's an entire game which uses the Skyrim game engine to run it.

Here's a link to the download page for Enderal and a trailer for it on Nexus. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/77868/?

4. Jason

Jason Troll Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm hooked on playing with mods. I get too distracted with them though. Lol

5. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So, another update on the world of modding. I'd been out of the modding games scene for a long time, so, had to begin getting back into it. After fiddling with Fallout 3 and modding, got it up, running, stable and looking pretty. HOWEVER, and there's always a, however, while checking out Youtube modding videos, I found something interesting.

Fallout 3 is interesting, but, it really was a big leap from the previous Fallout games. While nice, most of the community felt that while F3 was good, it was always felt that Fallout New Vegas was better.

What did I find that was neat? A Tale of Two Wastelands. If you have a legitimate copy of Fallout 3 game of the year edition and a legitimate copy of Fallout NV Ultimate version, then you can create A Tale of Two Wastelands. What the program does is, it transforms your copy of Fallout 3 into a mod and runs it using Fallout New Vegas. now you can start a character starting in the Washington DC wasteland of F3, eventually moving out to New Vegas, the whole time using the more advanced game system of New Vegas.

Now, the only thing I need to get back into using is Mod Organizer, which I'm rusty on, and also the modding needs to be done on the Fallout New Vegas engine, but, I'm going to put this together, and then begin again with Fallout 3, eventually moving the character out to New Vegas. Also, this week, I need to put on my tech support cap again and build a system I promised for my Father and Mother in law to act as a file server in their network. Thankfully my nephew can do the technical work out at their place, since he's a computer geek too.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    why did i read this as billy may gates what is my brain doing now its like a weird crossover between billy mays and bill gates.

7. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So, I'm slowly working my way through the great Mod project. Which I'm still calling research. So there.

However, here's a playlist I found on youtube. it will walk a person through the process of modding New Vegas in a manner friendly to the Tale of Two Wastelands. It's taking me a bit, slowly putting this together, but, so far it's been fun since I'm relearning how to use the Mod Organizer. The damn thing takes a bit of getting used to using, but, it adds so much versatility to the modding. It's also very code friendly since it keeps the mods isolated and only puts them together virtually. It makes it very easy to drop a mod in and then remove.

link to the mod tutoring for TTW

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBR4zaNy-V1k_Tp6Z4sHcLnXSes9oYehM

Paul Bellow likes this.
  8. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My old laptop experienced a fatal flaw with the GOTY edition of F3, the giant robot battle over the bridge was bugged and the game was broken because of it. Still, I've always loved the open format of the Fallout Universe, except Tactics which we won't talk about...

Being able to rig up a deathclaw pattern or racing to acquire a power suit was way more fun than beating the game anyways, and the fact that merchants just continually cycle through to visit the starting town was like free piggy banks in human and brahmin form for those that play like amoral desert madmen. I might have to give Tale of Two Wastelands a try... but there are way more games in my que that I need to play first for gamer cred. As apparently its sacreligious that I have no desire to play Skyrim any more than I already have... magic vikings should be right up my alley, and yet, its really not.

9. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ian Mitchell likes this.
  10. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And so, an awaited update on the modding experience. I didn't run the whole shebang of the mods the series I was using suggested. I didn't want a totally changed gaming experience, so I stopped at step 10, and didn't do the suggested merging of the mods. I was finding the merging was introducing more instability, without a massive amount of bang for the buck. I found I had to drop "The Solid Project" and "Quick Loot" as they caused problems with loading and crashing to desktop. I stopped at the point I did to run the game and check for stability problems.

In the near future, I'm going to be running through the rest of the series and seeing about adding clothing, armor and weapons mods. So far, so good. I'm looking forward to a run of the game, from leaving vault 111 behind, and hitting the wasteland from DC to New Vegas.

11. Daigon

Daigon Level 7 (Cutpurse) Beta Reader Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nice. I haven't figured out how to get mods to load on skyrim

Paul Bellow likes this.
  12. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    For Skyrim, go with Mod Organizer. It has a bit of a learning curve, but, there are tons of viddies on Youtube on how to work it. The big strength of it is it keeps the mods separate from your Skyrim folder, then only does a virtual load of them without modifying the base files. This lets you drop in and pull out mods with a minimum of problems. I'm also using it for the TTW Fallout NV modding that I'm fiddling with, since it does keep those fatal interactions to a minimum. The Nexus mod manager is an OK program if you want to have a minimum fuss with modding, but, it does drop the files into your game folder. The creator of Mod organizer is working at The Nexus for their next iteration of their Mod Manager, but, it isn't even close to having MOs level of utility.

At this time, for Skyrim SE, development of a Mod Organizer for it is moving slowly, however, Nexus Mod Manager does work with it. The major problem with SE is that the fellows working on the Skyrim Script Extender for SE haven't been able to release a working copy yet. Many of the Skyrim mods require SKSE, so, most of the community hasn't done much in the way of porting, waiting for SKSE64, the script extender for SE, to be finished.

The Nexus is one of the largest mod communities on the web, with tons of stuff at your fingertips. For Skyrim there are only 50,000 or so mods to choose from, with a thriving Youtube community reviewing mods. They also have one of the largest catalogs of mods for tons of other games. Definitely a good starting point.

http://www.nexusmods.com

I've been fiddling of and on with mods for games for a few years now. It was the lure of modding Skyrim that drew me into this dark and sordid world of the internet. Last time I had been playing Skyrim I was running around 100 mods, with the world having been expanded so much. Riverwood became a thriving community.

One of the fun things I found were mods for Diablo 2, one of my favorite games from the ARPG crowd. There's a piece of software out there called the D2SE Mod Manager. It lets you have multiple versions of Diablo 2 modded and keeps each one separate so you can just flip back and forth between them. One of the more interesting D2 modifieds is called Nezeramontias, which kicks in a ton of changes into the game, one of which is that there is a chance for a killed critter to drop a "soul" that the player can equip for powers, or, combine into a magic item they have, slowly making it more powerful, giving the player stronger and stronger benefits. There is also a mod called Median XL, which completely changes the game, having been created in a very similar vein to Path of Exile. Some of the modded versions of D2 have their own servers running, so even playing online isn't out of the question. For the D2 modding, you do need to start with the version of D2 installed from the disk, Blizzard is notoriously freaky and I'm pretty sure the modding won't work with their download battlenet version.

Matthew James and Paul Bellow like this.
  13. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Some of the old WoW modders that did game breaking model swaps came up with some awesome looking environments that wouldn't have run on the majority of rigs at the time of their release. Most people didn't want the mods for graphical improvements however, they wanted the game breaking cheat stuff. Back door to that plaguelands dungeon boss that dropped a mount for five minute zone "clears" for the boss they were interested in, or hunter trap model swaps for summoned physical items like boxes. Modding dungeons for pathing exploits or changing character models to have a better idea of hit box range (think humans or gnomes had an advantage with this, and taurens were the worst), and for rogues farming treasure chests there were sneaky sneak tunnels behind walls or beneath the floors they could get saps off through w/ distract.

Multiplayer game mods = cheating, Single player game mods = game improving

Cheating in MMOs = getting ahead and being "better"
    Improving Single Player games = improved replayability and fresh experiences in a well liked game format

Its like making games competitive fucks with the enjoyment aspect by innately adding a "Keeping up with the Joneses" mind set for players whenever they play in shared game universes. Plus anything modders or addon developers make thats worth a damn will get cancelled unilaterally without recognizing the desire for the game enhancing mod or incorporated into the game by the devs. Rooster Teeth hired someone that made a fan game and that zombie survival shooter (think it was the ARMA game mod) also hired the head mod and incorporated their game features into a new game. My hope is more community stuff will get specific feed back from game designers; unlike back the old days of WoW where they just modified the code available to users and destroyed addons people loved all the time without any explanation. While never addressing the custom client side game mods that allowed for a ridiculous amount of cheating.

Liking the mod adventure so far Seagrim!

Paul Bellow and Viergacht like this.
  14. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I modded Skyrim and was hooked. The first time "I" walked into Riverwood, and it looked like a complete town, with a little tent pitched next to the river with my bedroll, a small fire and a chest for storage, I was floored.

Then there was the Hellwalk to Whiterun when I had the Organized Bandits in Skyrim mod jacked up to 8. Level 1 me having to deal with several groups of bandits, fighting and evading, finally running to the open air market outside of Whiterun and landing smack dab into a civil war battle between Stormcloaks, Imperials and Whiterun guardsmen. I had to get an additional mod that was the cremate body spell, to respectfully deal with all the corpses. Skyrim is a bit slow on cleaning that stuff up.

15. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    you could also try the curse voice launcher I mainly mod Minecraft (the game thats literaly not worth playing without mods) so I cant vouch for its skyrim mod ability as I dont even own the game (never been a RPG fan) but if its anything like for minecraft it should be super easy to use

16. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Young Clint has finally left Vault 101 behind him, rapidly. Sparks and dust of ricochets, loud booms of gunfire behind. Ahead, he runs pell-mell into a rickety wooden door. It blows apart, time having rotted the wood. Behind, the door of Vault 101 grinds shut with a decrepit screeching noise. Brightness, far brighter light than he was used to, not the harsh humming fluorescents, but brighter. Smells, welling up with memories he hadn't known before, primal, dirt and a gritty breeze hitting his face. Slowly, his eyes adjust to the new light, brighter than anything he had seen before, the world outside the vault.

Fallout the Washington DC Wasteland.png

Paul Bellow likes this.
  17. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  18. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid: