Inhumans: anyone watch?

Discussion in 'TV and Movies' started by VRRanger, Sep 23, 2017.

1. VRRanger

VRRanger Level 12 (Rogue) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My son was really excited to watch inhumans, so we caught the first two episodes at IMAX sneak peek. I thought they were pretty good but people haven't been interested and the critics didn't like them. Has anyone else seen them, what are your thoughts?

Matthew James likes this.
  2. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm so far behind in the Marvel TV universe... dragging my feet on watching Luke Cage or Iron Fist even though I want to watch The Defenders. I can't even remember where I left off in Agents of Shield to know where to pick back up.

3. VRRanger

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am in about the same boat.

4. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just read it's been cancelled. Shame, the bulldog looked cute.

5. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm waiting for them to come out, since I hate going to the theater. I'm really sorry to hear it got cancelled. I knew the reviews were mostly negative but I still had hope that somehow it might be better than the initial critics' responses suggested. Will still watch it when it comes out, since I'm a superhero nut.

I nearly gave up on Agents of Shield but then I saw they were bringing in Ghost Rider. I decided to keep on watching and I'm so glad I did! Ghost Rider is flippin awesome - I'm not even mad he has a car instead of a bike :D. Also, the last series had some really cool moments, since most of them were stuck in an alternative matrix universe created by an evil robot.

VRRanger likes this.
  6. VRRanger

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes, I figure I will catch up on AoS on Netflix since they brought in ghost rider. I didn't know about the car, that is pretty stupid. Inhumans will probably be cancelled but hasn't been officially cancelled yet.

Readsalot likes this.
  7. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's got a 6% on the tomatometer and only 51% audience approval. Wow.

I just watched ep 1 and was SUPREMELY unimpressed. It'll make its 8 episode run but I don't think it'll get a renewal. They managed to at least make Iron Fencepost look good, even if only by comparison. I've seriously seen better acting in daytime soap operas, and better special effects from the ps2.

8. VRRanger

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sheesh!!! No, really, tell us what you really think :). Lol
    I have to say I thought it was not terrible....wasn't too impressed with the main guy, the whole not talking thing is off putting. However it was nice to have a more kid appropriate TV show, unlike the Netflix series....given the reviews it will probably not stay on long...

9. John Ward

John Ward Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I gave up on Agents of Shield long ago. Every now and then people tell me how awesome it is now, but I just can’t bring myself to get back into it.

I watched the first two episodes of Inhumans. They were okay. It seemed to be about on the same level as Agents of Shield when I left that show. It’s not that either of the shows are bad because they aren’t. It’s just that they all feel the exact same way that all of the Marvel shows on ABC feel. Same repetitive type story lines and characters that they rehash over and over again.

I will say that Inhumans does have A LOT of potential for some serious political type soap opera. I think that’s what they did wrong. They jumped right into the schemes and plots within plots before really grounding and hooking us on the characters. If they could have made the characters stand out more then I think people would care more about the plots. As it was, the only character they really developed was the younger brother. But, maybe it isn’t the writing. Maybe that actor is just so much better than all of the other actors on the show that he is able to make the material resonate more for his parts. I’m not sure.

I also watched The Gifted. Now, that’s a good show. If you haven’t seen that, you should definitely give it a shot. I think you’ll enjoy it.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  10. Dave Cole

Dave Cole Level 8 (Thug) Citizen

88%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Caught the show in Imax and then again on tv to see what was added/changed. Honstly, the Royal family was so unlikable, I am not sure who to root for, well except for Lockjaw. I wouldn't mind the Further Adventures of Lockjaw & Karnak.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  11. VRRanger

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ha ha! yes, lockjaw. And you are right, the royal family was not the most engrossing. And i think John had a point that they might have put more politics and plots in right away than they had too. Oh well, I will watch the first 4 or so and see how it goes.

CheshirePhoenix and John Ward like this.
  12. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think I've figured out where this show failed for me. Before that, though, let me emphasize that I still prefer this to pretty much every DC show, apart from Gotham. I really like Black Bolt and I think Anson Mount is doing a great job within the role's obvious limitations. I like Ken Leung as Karnak and I like the way they do his powers (though I wish somebody would do a "cognitive recalibration" on him). I also like the tough guy Hawaiian ex-soldiers.

Where the show made a mistake is in the TV-14 rating. Inhumans should have been made for mature audiences. It should have been aimed at an adult audience, in the same line as Banshee or Vikings. Instead they compromised, hoping to capitalise on the teen audience. So you have a show about serious adults battling about adult matters, but you have to tone it down to make it more palatable for family viewing. So you have to compromise on everything: Story, violence, actions and consequences, language...

13. SwordSharpener

SwordSharpener Level 4 (Warrior) Citizen

0%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's biggest problem is the premise. They supposedly come from a culture that only respects people with super powers yet somehow the king's powerless brother convinces all elite soldiers to betray the king and follow him. Also they have the main character being forever unable to speak and thus the viewer has trouble ever understanding him.

CheshirePhoenix and John Ward like this.
  14. Dave Cole

Dave Cole Level 8 (Thug) Citizen

88%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I never really read any of the Inhumans titles, as they were not major players when I was reading Marvel titles (mid 80's). I knew of them, but other than the occasional appearance in other titles there was not much going on. That said, what I did know about Blackbolt was that he was a good leader. The way the Royals are being portrayed in the show, they would be the villains in any YA dystopian title. I will keep watching (only 8 episodes) for the same reason I am still slogging through Iron Fist, I am a bit of a completist.

15. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm not sure how closely the series will follow the comics, but Maximus gained genius-level intellect and psionic powers, able to affect people's minds, which would help explain how he is able to convince people to follow him. Personally, I like the fact that Black Bolt is unable to speak. It makes him more interesting and I think Anson Boult does a good job of portraying his character.

The one thing I would have changed is the story. I would have made the attempted overthrow of Black Bolt a short arc in the beginning of the series, with humans discovering their presence on the moon in the process. This would have led to the Inhumans being forced to reevaluate their archaic society as they interacted with modern ideas of freedom and equality, putting increasing pressure on them to change their caste system. I think that would have made the series more interesting and more relevant.