Invasion by different means

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Kidlike101, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 17 (Theurgist) Citizen

75%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've hit a creative wall with something I'm working on... why does any world I envision turn into a dystopia? Le sigh...

Anyway after going to bed late last night I had an odd dream, tell me if this sounds like a possible plot or just the rambling of a tired mind:-

It's the early 2000's and I'm living a normal life worrying about all the little things, Does he like me. Everybody is looking for experience when hiring newly grads. Why are prices going up it's just fast food, it's supposed to be cheap...etc

In the middle of all this news breaks put and we look up at the sky outside. There is a continent above us. Like... another earth but so close you can see the rises of mountains and the wind currents. The area is surrounded by water so you only see that one continent.

We are told the image is the same all around the world so the government attempts to contact the "invaders" and try to negotiate with them. Having land this close over your head was making everyone jumpy.

In all the discussions however I noticed one common trend. They were trying to give the aliens a sales pitch to gain as much as they can from this new development be it politically or technologically.

My thoughts were.. what if the Aliens were the better salesmen? This is clearly a hologram and they could have projected anything, instead they picked an image that made us unease and mentally prepared for the arrival of a continent's worth of people.

Being a nobody, unemployed new grad however who would care what I thought... until the day came when thousands of people came from the sky. They were loud, obnoxious, overly friendly in a greasy salesman way. every window in every house started showing ads for what they sold and what they could do. they came into house because they weren't "invaders" they were "settlers and refugee" so thank you for the bed and food!

Ads were blasted from every direction the noise was unbearble and the flashy colors the princesses wore... ugh!

The main stand out in an group were "princesses" because I guess this race was female dominated. They changed their appearance to fit the location so ours were sailor scouts with a heart shaped scepter they kept twirling around. They were the main feature in the ads, the loudest most colourful in any group that they attracted attention... on purpose because by comparison all the little things the 100 - 1000 aliens in the group did seemed passable. They human, looked like us but in that foreign way someone from another country looks like to a native. It excused a lot to be that way and the princesses made sure to have the attention of both the media and the people.

With enough time people in the cities started to get brainwashed. ofcourse they're awesome. Yes they're guests we accept them to our houses..etc

I couldn't take it but no matter what I did they'd come in with this big salesman smile and sparkly dress to ingratiate themselves. Made it worse that this was my parent's house so it was their choice to make not mine.

I ended up stealing a scepter and discovered it was technology so advanced it looked like magic. I asked it to locate the quietest civilization possible for me.

seconds later I was teleported there and met the couple that owned the house. It was quiet and people talked slow. They had an argument regarding who should be called Sam since they shared the name but it seemed like an ok place.

My scepter started to talk, it was also a communication device and the guy told me they'll arrange for a rescue immediately, that my location was unfavorable because the and I quote "This entire civilization has frontal cortex damage, they'll drive you insane!"

I asked for a 48 hour testing period just to check the place out. It seemed homey and quiet after all.

... Which is when I got what he was saying, everyone was sooooo slow that by comparison I had ADD. Even little things like a bed and food I had to wait forever for their minds to catch up on and I felt like an invader with this big smile on my face whenever I wanted just an inch of space.

I looked at the clock, just one hour passed... I was going to go insane before help arrived... help meant for someone else not even me! AHHHHHHH!!!!!! I screamed behind my smile which made my ADD worse as I tried to impress.

Litrpg part:-

Scores, the princesses seemed to keep an eye on different scores regarding every action they made. I only noticed that once I stole the scepter. A score above the projected was good obviously but it can drop at any time depending on the interaction made... it's why I went ADD and smiled like a loon. my score was dropping like a hot potato! Charisma held no sway in this planet... and I had so little to start with LOL!

Viergacht and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member Shop Owner LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sounds interesting.

3. Allen White

Allen White Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Citizen

82%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This story feels like it would be better off without the LitRPG element. Make it an invasion story, but with all of your insane added elements. I can tell you've watched a lot of anime, as in addition to the Sailor Moon reference, there's also a nice dash of Urusei Yatsura in there. Steal from the best, then make it your own!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Viergacht likes this.
  4. Kidlike101

75%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    wait wait WAIT! where is the urusei yatsura? Lum was my idol growing up! WHERE!!!

Allen White likes this.
  5. Allen White

Allen White Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Citizen

82%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I meant to say "without the LitRPG element," just to be clear.

The Urusei Yatsura stuff would be the goofy aliens, of course. There are so few good comedic invasion stories.

6. Kidlike101

75%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was talking to a friend about that. 99.9 of all invasion tales are military, fear of the unknown, stealth hidden society tales.

The idea that we could be taken over by a marketing campaign that puts the invaders front and center normalizing them is just hilarious to me XD

Allen White likes this.
  7. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member Shop Owner LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Have you ever read Quozl?

Rabbitlike aliens from outer space colonize Earth during humankind’s Second World War in a delightfully funny and thought-provoking science fiction adventure

The Quozl just need somewhere to call home. A gentle race of extraterrestrial rabbits, they have a propensity for reproduction that has left their home planet, Quozlene, dangerously overpopulated, and in their search for greener and less-crowded pastures, they have discovered the perfect place to start over: the third planet away from a healthy, warming sun. What they don’t realize is that this world they call Shiraz is already inhabited by a species of violent sentient creatures known as humans.

But there’s no going back now. In the midst of the brutal and helpfully distracting global conflict the Shirazians call World War II, the colony ship lands undetected, and the space rabbits immediately go into hiding. But a secret like the Quozl can be concealed for only so long, especially when their numbers start to increase and certain rebellious members of the long-eared society decide the time is ripe to claim their place in a world they believe is rightfully theirs.

One of the most admired and prolific authors in the science fiction arena, Alan Dean Foster will delight readers who hunger for something different with this funny, thoughtful, and wildly inventive novel of first contact and coexistence. Once you meet the Quozl, you will never forget them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NOC5JFC/

I liked it because there was always another higher-level alien intelligence revealing themselves...

Allen White and Viergacht like this.
  8. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon Roleplaying LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Quozl is one of my all time favorites!!!! I love the idea of conditioning humans to accept the aliens by creating a kid's cartoon based on them.

Paul Bellow likes this.