Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books' started by TWErvin2, Jul 24, 2017.

1. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

88%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Urban fantasy with interesting characters, lots of action, snappy dialogue, and a good story arc...and a 2000 year old druid, the last druid.

I enjoy this series both as an audiobook and in print. Each has its charm, but now, when I read, I hear the character's voices as read by Luke Daniels.

I wrote an article for the Indie Book Blog a while back, after I had read three of the novels and two novellas in the series (now he's up to eight novels, several novellas and short stories with the 9th and final novel due out in April).

Anyway, here's a link to the article if you're interested in learning more: Kevin Hearne & Luke Daniels: A Great Pairing for the Iron Druid Chronicles

2. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Read the series the later books start to lose me though.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

88%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My favorites in the series are Hexed, Tricked and Hunted.

I have to admit that the sections with Granuaile as the POV character are vastly less interesting and actually more annoying.

I will also say, even if I agree with the political views (or not), the 8th book, has a number of 'hit you over the head' instances where it's close to preaching :( I read such novel for entertainment, not to have political views pushed. If it's part of the theme and/or integrated into the plot, that's one thing, and I can go with that. The multiple instances I am thinking of read as more opportunistic. Maybe since he's going to finish off his series, and he's got a large and loyal audience, the author thought it was important to do? For me, those instances just pulled me out of the story for a moment. My guess is that the author won't have the time or opportunity in his last novel, so he did it in this collection of stories and novels.

That all said, on the major scheme of things, the drawbacks very minor, and many readers really enjoy the sections in the later novels from Granuaile's POV.

So, for current series, The Iron Druid Chronicles is my top pic, and I highly recommend (especially in audiobook form). Steven Brust's comes in second and I'll probably post on that series some time in the near future.

4. Jason

Jason Troll Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Kevin Hearne is a cool dude and his books are in my top 5 picks. I've been fortunate and have gotten almost all of his 1st editions autographed, and have been to his meets several times. He's awesome with his fans and very interactive with e-mails and in FB. Luke Daniels does all of his audio books and really brings the characters to life.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Paul Bellow and TWErvin2 like this.
  5. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I really like Kevin Hearne. I follow him on Twitter and he seems like a very cool guy. But, inevitably, his books will be compared to the Dresden Files and Jim Butcher is just so flippin good that it's almost unfair. I like the Iron Druid books enough that I've read all of them, but for me it's a way to while away the time while I wait for the next Dresden book.

6. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Next up on my TBR list.

[​IMG]

TWErvin2 and Paul Bellow like this.
  7. Halimah

Halimah Level 5 (Veteran) Citizen

37%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I had one book. Don't want to read out of order bit I hear great things about the series and I do love a great series. So can't wait to read it! I also love dresden files.