Is the New Jumanji Movie LitRPG?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Paul Bellow, Jun 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What do you think?

Under our definition that we've hammered out here it would be. With other definitions, the lack of apparent leveling and what-not would mean it's not?

I think we've got a better LitRPG definition going...

What say you?

2. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Holy crap I had no idea there was a new one coming out...

I'd originally brought it up because they had to roll the dice in the original one. This one looks like a strong portal world contender for the genre though, especially if they introduce arbitrary "You have been eaten by a hippo, move back six spaces." Becomes an unbeatable game without team work, and maybe they start getting amnesia from their real life (like in Log Horizon) the more they die. So a character could end up betraying them to help the obvious army of bad guys.

No clue lol, my first time seeing this!

edit: expanding on the "lost memory" idea, they don't simply lose their memory, they gain their avatars abilities and become better at the game. But also more selfish or violent or whatever. Drama from all angles! Then they have to save whatever character turns against them because she/he only ended up turning against them because she/he sacrificed themselves to stop the others from dying. That gives them an added "game" element where they know exactly how many times they have left to die before its every man for themself. Because who knows what happens when someone emerges from the game as the victor, and the others are left as losers.

Unless one of the villains is a winner from the past who chose to go back to Jumanji and stay there, and he knows that if the others win individually the other players will be wiped out of existence. So they have to win all at the same time or consecutively on their own turns, making it a draw. So then they can kill the selfish player from the last game who left his team mates to die and chose to be a villian in that other world (and who is the technical 5th player).

Pg-13 villain death without any bad deeds by the main characters. If no dice are involved, maybe they just have to walk across the finish line holding hands and with the Rock leaning back so his pecs don't cross before the others. I dun know.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. Matthew Sylvester

Matthew Sylvester Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    From what I can see, yes, definitely LitRPG. For example, the Rock's character learning that he can hit really hard, and then putting that to use is clear skill development :) Leveling not required. OOOOH BOOK TITLE! :)

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    https://litrpgreads.com/blog/why-jumanji-is-litrpg

snip

snip

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  5. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would be proud to classify that as the first LitRPG. C'mon.. it's got alot of the elements AND THE FREAGIN' ROCK!!!

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  7. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  8. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We should roll out the original (tabletop) too.